What About a Trade for Cooks?

vnick

Reaction score
I know this is the realm of unlikely...but hell, I'm stuck at the house for the foreseeable future and have lots of time on my hand.

The Cowboys could still use a #3 WR. Ideally this would be someone with speed who could stretch the field.

A couple of weeks ago, there were rumors the Rams were shopping Brandin Cooks. There's been no word on what they would want, but let's take a minute or two to examine Cooks contract and see if he could be a fit.

First of all, while some pundits have said Cooks may be done already, he's only 26 yrs old. He has had issues with concussions which leads people to think he could be on decline, but his physical skills do not appear to have eroded. His production was down last year, but as the deep threat, Goff quit trying to throw deep as much as his protection was breaking down. I still think Cooks can be a valuable receiver.

Secondly, we come to his contract. If he is acquired in a trade, Dallas will only be on the hook for his annual salaries. He has 12 million guaranteed for this season (8 million in salary and 4 million in a roster bonus), and salaries of 12 million each of the next two seasons and 12.5 million in 2023. Only this year would be guaranteed, so the Cowboys could either renegotiate that deal for better cap numbers or cut him after this year if he failed to produce. Therefore, the largest gamble is the cost to acquire him.

So third, what would it take to get him. The Rams would eat a good bit of money to trade him. They would lose 1 million if done as a pre-June 1 trade or save roughly 12 million this year if post June 1, but eat dead money next season.

With the draft deep in WR talent and the Rams trying to clear space, would they accept a 3rd for Cooks? If so, at that value, I would be willing to bite. Any more, and probably not.

However adding Cooks to Gallup and Cooper with Zeke in the backfield would help the Cowboys offense be vary potent.

SSoup

Reaction score
No thanks. I'm not spending anything higher than a 5th or 6th rounder for an insanely expensive veteran. We need our 1st-4th rounders to come in and play for peanuts for 4 years to offset all the expensive vets we already have.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
how about a trade for the Texans QB, I hear he's not happy about the recent moves. I know we will have to throw in some picks or players since dak isn't an equal trade.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
i'd rather keep picks and take advantage of a deep receiver class.

Get a cheap bridge vet. Draft a WR from a deep class. That's the Cowboy way.

Cook looks like way too much money for a free agent, let alone a guy we'd have to give up a pick for. Especially in a year with a deep draft class.

We should look to the future of letting Gallup go. Now is a good year to shop for his eventual replacement.

Our top two are great.
I like Smith, but we only have him for a year. Wilson is meh, but we have him for 3 more years.

All the rest after that are meh, projects, and meh projects. Totally expendable.

In general, older WRs who are cap casualties go for a stick of gum. We should get one.

fivetwos

Reaction score
-Just gave 100m to another WR.

-Deepest WR draft in history about to happen.

-Teams keep getting rid of him. Theres a reason.

-Any available money needs to be spent on defense.

All I got for now.....

quickccc

Reaction score
I know this is the realm of unlikely...but hell, I'm stuck at the house for the foreseeable future and have lots of time on my hand.

The Cowboys could still use a #3 WR. Ideally this would be someone with speed who could stretch the field.

A couple of weeks ago, there were rumors the Rams were shopping Brandin Cooks. There's been no word on what they would want, but let's take a minute or two to examine Cooks contract and see if he could be a fit.

First of all, while some pundits have said Cooks may be done already, he's only 26 yrs old. He has had issues with concussions which leads people to think he could be on decline, but his physical skills do not appear to have eroded. His production was down last year, but as the deep threat, Goff quit trying to throw deep as much as his protection was breaking down. I still think Cooks can be a valuable receiver.

Secondly, we come to his contract. If he is acquired in a trade, Dallas will only be on the hook for his annual salaries. He has 12 million guaranteed for this season (8 million in salary and 4 million in a roster bonus), and salaries of 12 million each of the next two seasons and 12.5 million in 2023. Only this year would be guaranteed, so the Cowboys could either renegotiate that deal for better cap numbers or cut him after this year if he failed to produce. Therefore, the largest gamble is the cost to acquire him.

So third, what would it take to get him. The Rams would eat a good bit of money to trade him. They would lose 1 million if done as a pre-June 1 trade or save roughly 12 million this year if post June 1, but eat dead money next season.

With the draft deep in WR talent and the Rams trying to clear space, would they accept a 3rd for Cooks? If so, at that value, I would be willing to bite. Any more, and probably not.

However adding Cooks to Gallup and Cooper with Zeke in the backfield would help the Cowboys offense be vary potent.

1) this draft is loaded with quality young WRs that we could add as a 3rd WR .. vs taking on Brandon Cook's contract, much less giving up a draft pick for him.
2) you have to check his health issues - concussions, the whole wear and tear
3) Cook is not a slot guy, he does his best work on the outside where he can use his vertical speed and we already have our two outsides guys locked in
4) he's not a special teams guy, has been rarely used as a punt returner for his NFL career
5) why are we discussing a trade and spending capital and draft picks for a WR,. when we have a world of defensive needs that could be better discussed?:confused:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

Yeah..

It's all fun and games now.

Just plan on a 4 HR shopping experience anymore at the grocery store.

It's insane out there.

Hmm...

Like many are saying..da draft.

Da draft is going to bring us a slot receiver for sure.

Plus he will need to backup our starters.

Cooks will want starter money and we no have.

I still would take Dez over Cooks..cheaper and can probably play Redzone better than Cooks.

But keep thinking.

This place is food for the mind if you don't mind eating your own words occasionally.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Its a fun idea to think about, but we obviously have no idea how the Dallas FO rates Cooks.

In a deep draft like this I think I would rather use the 3rd on 4 years of a guy with a lower salary but Cooks is a great talent.

Also on the salary, when we acquired Tavon Austin they renegotiated his salary down. The Rams paid 4MM of his salary down in a bonus, so Dallas was only on the hook for 3 Million and 2 of that was in incentives.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

3rd a little steep

kumizi

Reaction score
Cooks is way too good/expensive for a 3rd WR.

That being said, Tavon Austin and Devin Smith are way too ****** to be our 3rd WR.