What about Chad Pennington?

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I haven't really seen it mentioned, but he is still pretty young. We could afford to let him ride the pine and give him plenty of time to heal up. Parcells drafted him in the first no less, so you know what he must have thought of him.

Jets may sack QB Chad today

BY RICH CIMINI
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Chad Pennington may not be hanging around Jets after today, with $3 million roster bonus due to the quarterback coming off second shoulder surgery.

The Jets' tumultuous offseason already has claimed the coach and general manager. Today, we'll find out if the quarterback goes, too.

After months of speculation and a week of negotiations that may continue up until today's deadline, Chad Pennington's contract situation finally will be resolved. If he doesn't agree to a pay cut - as of last night, it was too uncertain to call - he will be released, a move that would dramatically alter the direction of the franchise.

The Jets' new regime is in a housecleaning mode (seven players were cut last week), and the overhaul could claim more bodies today, including Kevin Mawae. His agent, Mark Bartelstein, said he was informed yesterday by GM Mike Tannenbaum that the club likely will part ways with the six-time Pro Bowl center.

Technically, the Jets don't have to make any cuts to get under the $94.5 million salary cap by tomorrow's deadline. Quietly, they got under the cap by restructuring contracts, including those of Laveranues Coles and Shaun Ellis, it was learned. Mawae's situation apparently goes beyond money. At 35, recovering from a torn triceps, he doesn't fit into new coach Eric Mangini's rebuilding plan. Mawae was given permission recently to seek a trade, and he took that as a sign that he's no longer wanted.

The Jets want Pennington, but it has to be on their terms. He's scheduled to make $9 million, including a $3 million roster bonus due tomorrow. The Jets, concerned about his twice-repaired throwing shoulder, don't want to pay the bonus.

On Tuesday, Pennington said he wanted to remain with the Jets, expressing optimism the two sides could find a "middle ground." Initially, the Jets wanted to slash his salary to $1 million, a jarring proposal that left some in the Pennington camp thinking the Jets were hellbent on cutting the 29-year-old quarterback. But last weekend, in a meeting with Pennington's agent, Tom Condon, Tannenbaum sweetened the offer. The negotiations "took a few steps forward," according to Pennington. But, as of yesterday, some industry sources still felt Pennington's return wasn't a slam dunk.

Privately, the Jets say they're prepared to start over at quarterback. It would be a surprise if they give Pennington more than $3 million in guarantees in a reworked contract. Pennington, coming off two shoulder operations in an eight-month span, isn't likely to generate much interest on the open market.

If the Jets cut Pennington, they would take a $12 million cap hit, but they would realize a net savings of $3 million. A possible landing spot would be Kansas City, where he'd be reunited with former Jets coach Herm Edwards.

The Jets will save $1.1 million by releasing Mawae, one of the best players in team history. The Eagles, who have plenty of cap room, are planning to pursue him.

"Nothing is official, but I got a sense from talking to (the Jets) that Kevin will be a free agent," Bartelstein said. "I think they've made the decision to retool and start over."

Others on the bubble are Pete Kendall ($5.2 million cap number), David Barrett ($3.8 million) and Eric Barton ($3.8 million), each of whom is due a large roster bonus tomorrow.

Gaede

Reaction score
I don't really like him.

Throws like a girl and I think he's mentally weak

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
No thanks....two shoulder surgeries on an already weak arm.....pass *no pun intended*

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
NO thanks.

I didnt like his game before the two injuries (also let's not forget the broken wrist too). I like it even less now.

I will say this though, he gave his all. Unlike John Abraham, Pennington went out on the field, hurt. Abraham stayed on the sidelines during the playoffs because in his words, he needed to look out for his career.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Gaede said:
I don't really like him.

I disagree about that statement. But yeah, he never had strong arm in first place and the offense he first played under was perfect fit for him. The short passes and dump offs that is.

In other words he at the best is a System QB.

Gaede

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
I disagree about that statement..

I was referring to his whole confrontation with the media.

He's tough for playing hurt, absolutely--but I just think he cares too much about what people think of him

I didn't follow that whole thing closely though, so maybe I just misunderstood it

stilltheguru

Reaction score
and as it stands abrahams career is looking alot brighter than chads:)

anyway chad is not good.period

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Gaede said:
I don't really like him.

I think girls should be insulted to be compared to how he throws.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Gaede said:
I was referring to his whole confrontation with the media.

He's tough for playing hurt, absolutely--but I just think he cares too much about what people think of him

I didn't follow that whole thing closely though, so maybe I just misunderstood it

Yeah, I guess I get your point about that. Probably you are right, and I guess you could say that about Michael Vick too. He seems to be caring too much about what Media and Fans think too. What Michael Vick is doing it far worse than Chad did though, but thats just my opinion though.

One thing I like about Donovan McFlab, uptill his SB comments was, he didn't get down when people questioned him or went back and forth with media etc. But seems like he had enough, and now reacting badly to TO situation. I like that because he plays for Eagles and always thought he was bit overrated, but his mental toughness I did like ( not in game situations but dealing with media/fans etc.).

Gaede

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Yeah, I guess I get your point about that. Probably you are right, and I guess you could say that about Michael Vick too. He seems to be caring too much about what Media and Fans think too. What Michael Vick is doing it far worse than Chad did though, but thats just my opinion though.

Yeah, I agree with that too.

k19

Reaction score
I agree with the title line....... What about Chad Pennington, yeah so what about him :D