What about Chris Long?

jujoboys

Reaction score
Just said he does not want to return to NE because they used him as a 3 tech. Wants to get back to being a DE. He was hurt in 2014 and 2015 but is finally healthy. If we can get him cheap then he may help until we can develop some young guys. In 4 years (2010-2013) he had 41.5 sacks. 31 years old and 6'03" 270 lbs. We tried to sign him last year. He was on his way to Dallas when NE called.

rkell87

Reaction score
I didnt see any posts about him.
he shouldnt cost that much and could be a good fit for year or 2. He wants more snaps and was suppose to visit with us before signing in NE

http://www.endzonescore.com/chris-long-announces-will-moving-new-england-patriots/60148
My guess is people here will say too old no thanks blah blah. I would like this move AFTER the draft, really depends on what we do in the first 3 rounds but right now he is at least as good as our best DE

jujoboys

Reaction score
My guess is people here will say too old no thanks blah blah. I would like this move AFTER the draft, really depends on what we do in the first 3 rounds but right now he is at least as good as our best DE
He wouldn't be my first option but I feel like the front office will be in bargain hunting mode in free agency. If he stays healthy like in 2016 then I think he could get us 8 sacks or so this year. He is 31 but does not have a lot of miles on him in the last 3 years. He is someone we could possibly bring in for a year or two until we can draft someone and develop them. I would rather throw $3 million to him than the $3 or $4 million we are probably going to toss Josh McCown to be our backup QB. He only cost the Patriots $2.3 million last year. The guy most people are wanting (Nick Perry) will easily cost over $10 million a year and has only really had 1 good year which happened to be a contract year.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Long is near dead and can not help any Club. Better to sign a wet rag....it would be much cheaper!!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Long is near dead and can not help any Club. Better to sign a wet rag....it would be much cheaper!!

He played a full season last year and had 4.5 sacks playing part time as a 3-4 DE. It is a much more physically demanding position and harder to rush the QB from.

If the price is right then we could do worse.

jujoboys

Reaction score
So I guess you are smarter than Belichick now? Chris Long had the most defensive snaps of any defensive lineman for the Patriots last year with 677 snaps which is an average of 42 snaps a game. In the front 7, only Dont'a Hightower had more snaps with 708 snaps. This is a guy we may be able to get on the cheap because his stats did not reflect his importance to the team because he was played at DT for a lot of the snaps when he is a true DE. We need help at DE and Jerry is not going to spend a lot of money there so I am trying to find a good fit at a reasonable cost. Who do you suggest we get? And don't say Nick Perry because I doubt very seriously he is on the Cowboys' radar due to cost. If we can get Long on a cheap contract then try to find a DE in the draft then there is a good chance we have improved our team. You may not like Long but he is better than anybody else we have on the roster at this point.