What about Dave Campo as DC?

juck

Reaction score
I didnt realize that during the tenure of Dave Campo as DC from 1995 to 1999 we had a a top ten defense every year except 98.Now I know as a head coach he sucked.Would it be out of the question to use him next year,go back to 4-3 and Garrett head coach?

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
juckie;2363294 said:
I didnt realize that during the tenure of Dave Campo as DC from 1995 to 1999 we had a a top ten defense every year except 98.Now I know as a head coach he sucked.Would it be out of the question to use him next year,go back to 4-3 and Garrett head coach?

I was thinking the same thing yesterday when the fire Wade and Stewart threads were flying. Campo is a solid DC, but we would need to switch to a 4-3. I don't think that's a good thing in the middle of the season. That's why, at the least, I can see Stewart sitting on the bench in TO fashion with a towel over his head sulking. But, I don't think Jerry would be there to console him.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
He's really done wonders with our secondary. :eek:

BTW, ever consider that we actually had some decent talent from the Super Bowl teams still around when he was coaching the defense in the '90's?

There's no reason he should've ever been HC or brought back this year.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
the DoNkEy PuNcH;2363300 said:
I was thinking the same thing yesterday when the fire Wade and Stewart threads were flying. Campo is a solid DC, but we would need to switch to a 4-3. I don't think that's a good thing in the middle of the season. That's why, at the least, I can see Stewart sitting on the bench in TO fashion with a towel over his head sulking. But, I don't think Jerry would be there to console him.

IDK Wade's 3-4 is basically a 4-3 the 1 gap system. Teach the players run responsibility and which gaps to shut and they should be fine. When we are in the nickel Ware is in a 3 point stance in way so it might not be to far off. We would have to play a 4-3 base cover 2 type thing to make the adjustment easier for them though.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
*Shrugs* I don't know that Campo would be any better but I certainly don't believe he could be any worse than Stewart.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
This board is falling apart. This is horrific that anyone would want Campo at DC position. But that pales with posters last week calling for him to be Head Coach.

Whats next - bring back Zimmer?

Coslett? He has that really cool play where the TE falls down then gets up!

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2363311 said:
IDK Wade's 3-4 is basically a 4-3 the 1 gap system. Teach the players run responsibility and which gaps to shut and they should be fine. When we are in the nickel Ware is in a 3 point stance in way so it might not be to far off. We would have to play a 4-3 base cover 2 type thing to make the adjustment easier for them though.

Good point. I love seeing Ware and Ellis rush the edge coming from a 3 point stance instead of coming in standing up. I hate to compare him to Reggie White, but when Ware does come out of 3 point stance, he reminds me of Regie.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Nors;2363322 said:
This board is falling apart. This is horrific that anyone would want Campo at DC position. But that pales with posters last week calling for him to be Head Coach.

Whats next - bring back Zimmer?

Coslett? He has that really cool play where the TE falls down then gets up!

Wait...there were actually people wanting him as the HC last week? Thank God I missed that stupidity.

links18

Reaction score
The fact that Campo is even on this team is testimony to all that is wrong with it.......:(

juck

Reaction score
I dont know,hopefully Wade can get these players to respond and play well,but i was just surprised at Campos track record as far as DC goes.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
links18;2363339 said:
The fact that Campo is even on this team is testimony to all that is wrong with it.......:(

Yep. Only an idiot would've brought him back. Of course, only an idiot would've given him an NFL HC job.

ms9221

Reaction score
Bach;2363358 said:
Yep. Only an idiot would've brought him back. Of course, only an idiot would've given him an NFL HC job.
Before we promoting Dave Campo to head Coach he had the number one Defense. The DC of Dallas right now is the real Idiot he can't coach any better than wade as head Coach, this defense doesn't fit the players the system. We should go back to a 4-3 defense.

links18

Reaction score
Let's not forget one of the reasons we have Wade and Stewart is Parcells decided to switch to the 3-4 and abandoned us after 2 years, so Jerry was basically forced to hire someone with 3-4 experience and we got Wade......