What about drafting Greenway?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Alexander said:
First, I wasn't refering to you saying he was an accomplished blitzer. I have heard it on several of these very bad draft shows on ESPN and NFL Network recently as well as several scouting reports.

But back on topic, if he is inexperienced and hasn't done it often, how can you conclude he could rush the passer effectively? The biggest knock against him is that he doesn't engage blockers well and can get engulfed by linemen. That alone makes him a questionable selection for a 3-4 team. Couple that with his inexperience rushing the pasher, what exactly is left to hang your hat on? Reputation? Because given the skill set we need from our linebackers, he comes up short in practically every regard.

And to make it perfectly clear, the consensus out there is that he is an active linebacker that can make plays. And that is very true.

If we were running a conventional 4-3, he would absolutely need to be on our radar. But we don't and he isn't.

Well we see things different that is all I can tell you. I have seen many publications saying the same about Carpenter matter of fact both players profiles read about the same. Having seen Carpenter play I disagree with some of this views.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
I've been saying for quite a while that Greenway's a finesse-type player and the bench at the combine showed why anyone commenting on his "incredible strength" is a moron.

Greenway's going to be a pretty decent pro but only as a 4-3 OLB. He compares to Derrick Johnson in many ways in that he's hesitant to take on blockers but pretty athletic (not as athletic as Johnson though) and will chase down plays.

I have to admit this year's draft has me pretty confused.

Either it is that every Tom, Dick and Mel Kiper has their own draft site now and are publishing a bunch of amateurish garbage that is made up or these players are serious Jeckyl and Hyde characters with no consistency.

You can grab "scouting reports" on a variety of players (and Greenway is a prime example) and read conflicting versions. But yes, I have heard that "incredible strength" one and I had to laugh.

These writers have their motives sometimes and it does come out in the analyses.

QT

Reaction score
Strength should not be a 9. I think he only benched 225 like 12 times or something like that. That's weak for a guy his size...

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Alexander said:

It's a flat draft from picks 11 to 30 or so. Usually you can at least group them into batches of 7 or so. If we could see actual draft grades on players we might get some clarity. My guess is that the draft grades are so similar for the top 10-30 that it causes incredible variability in the mocks. confusing it more is that there appears to be a pretty strong 2nd round bunch as well.

Unfortunately, that suggests to me that the guys who have distinguished themselves as top 10 are not going to drop beyond there as they will have grades far higher than the 11-30's. But watch out in the 2nd -- there will be 5 or 6 guys rated as first rounders on most mocks that will last a while.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
The_Jackal said:
So what have you got to say in response to the claims that he can't blitz and only makes "shoestring" tackles five yards beyond the line of scrimmage?

I, for one, would like to see a more indepth debate on Greenway by those who have seen him play a few times because like one poster suggested the national consensus seems very much at odds with this board. And he may be available when we pick in the first round.

I've seen him play more than a few times and I've seen him in person.

The thing that boggles my mind about Greenway is that he never stands out. You have to look for him and follow him. Its rare that you see a great play and say "Whoa, there's Greenway again." I saw more of that from Hodge.

Couple that with the fact that I think Iowa players get rated higher than they should due to coaching. Look at Gallery, Steinbach, Roth, Dallas Clark, Bob Sanders (I know...he made the Pro Bowl....:rolleyes: ), etc. Some decent players in that group, but most aren't exactly living up to the hype. I think Ferentz has these guy so well prepared that they grade out higher than their actual abilities might actually be (and yes, Ferentz would be a top notch coach post-Parcells).

I don't really buy the whole "shoestring tackle 5 yards beyond the LOS" stuff because Iowa had a decent run defense this year and the bulk of their defensive line was new. But he is a guy that isn't going to take on blocks most of the time. He's a flow to the ball type of guy and I don't know that his style fits the Cowboys scheme. Like many of said, a poor man's Derrick Johnson.

I'm sure Iowa fans will disagree with me, but they still revere Tim Dwight. :eek:

ghst187

Reaction score
boysfanindc said:
What’s not to like about Chad Greenway?

because he's not very good maybe?
at least I don't think he's a first round talent.
The best LB the played LB in the Big 10 that wasn't a Buckeye was Hodge.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
because he's not very good maybe?
at least I don't think he's a first round talent.
The best LB the played LB in the Big 10 that wasn't a Buckeye was Hodge.

Hodge is going to be a better pro than all of the Buckeyes also but the best linebacker in the Big 10, heck the country for that matter, was Posluzny.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I think this is one of the more overrated prospects in the draft, especially of guys that might go in the first 30-40 picks

I wouldnt touch him at all (in any rd, especially 1st day) because I think he's going to be a huge bust

David

ghst187

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
Hodge is going to be a better pro than all of the Buckeyes also but the best linebacker in the Big 10, heck the country for that matter, was Posluzny.

oh yeah, I forgot about him...

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I was reading up on Greenway. Check this out:

2004: Bothered in October by pubic symphysis (pubic symphysis, or Symphysis pubis, is the midline cartilaginous joint uniting the superior rami of the left and right pubic bones (pubis). It is located anterior to the urinary bladder and superior to the external genitalia for females it is above the vulva and for males it is above the *****. In males, the suspensory ligament of the ***** attaches to the pubic symphysis).

I'm not a doctor, but that sounds like something I wouldn't want to be "bothered" by. :lmao2:

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Alexander said:

Either it is that every Tom, Dick and Mel Kiper has their own draft site now and are publishing a bunch of amateurish garbage that is made up or these players are serious Jeckyl and Hyde characters with no consistency.

You can grab "scouting reports" on a variety of players (and Greenway is a prime example) and read conflicting versions. But yes, I have heard that "incredible strength" one and I had to laugh.

These writers have their motives sometimes and it does come out in the analyses.

I agree. What really gets me though is that no one is willing to go out on a limb. Mayock tries to be a little different but not much.

And face it, at least 10, but probably more, players in the first round will end up being disappointments. No one wants to take a chance a predicting who those players will be.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have read to many bad things about Greenway that I know I want a different LB.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Someone agrees with me regarding Hodge vs. Greenway, even if it is Dan Pompei.

GREENWAY VS. HODGE

If Chad Greenway had played for Maine and Abdul Hodge had played for Hawaii, no one would be using one as a reference point for the other.

But both potential first-round picks were competing for every tackle while standing just a few feet from each other as starting linebackers for Iowa. So everything Greenway did is measured against Hodge. Each of Hodge's strengths and weaknesses is graded against Greenway's.

The 6-2 3/8 Greenway makes the 6-0 3/8 Hodge look small. Greenway's speed makes Hodge look slow. Greenway's athletic ability makes Hodge look ordinary.

But Hodge's instincts make Greenway look late to react. Hodge's ability to disengage makes Greenway look plodding. Hodge's natural punch makes Greenway look less explosive.

So it goes with teammates who play the same position. Others in the draft include N.C. State defensive ends Mario Williams and Manny Lawson; Ohio State linebackers A.J. Hawk, Bobby Carpenter and Anthony Schlegel; LSU defensive tackles Claude Wroten and Kyle Williams; and Miami offensive tackles Eric Winston and Rashad Butler.

The truth is Greenway and Hodge both are fine prospects who were very productive in college, whether they are being compared or not.

But this is what stands out on tape: Hodge usually beats Greenway to the ball. That means something.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Does Greenway have "upside"? I read that he played 9 on 9 football in high school and only had two full years at Iowa. So why wouldn't the fact that he was one of the better LBs in college indicate that he has tremendous upside as many say about Lawson?

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
The_Jackal said:
Does Greenway have "upside"? I read that he played 9 on 9 football in high school and only had two full years at Iowa. So why wouldn't the fact that he was one of the better LBs in college indicate that he has tremendous upside as many say about Lawson?

Greenway had 5 years at Iowa.

He was redshirted in 2001 and is not leaving early. 2001-2005