What about JJ McCarthy

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
I know we would have to move up, but after watching some of his highlights, he looks to me to be the Ben Roethlisberger of this draft.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I wouldn’t trade up for him but I’d take a QB at 24 if we actually had the balls to trade Dak and rebuild.

We’d be downgrading at QB for sure we’d have a rookie deal which would be nice.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
He’s the most underrated player in the draft imo. At least by fans.

Not by teams, though. I think he’ll go pretty early.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He'll go as early as 4th overall.

I'm not sure what to make of him. Seems like a good, solid player. Kirk Cousins?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
It sounds like the NFL loves him, but I really don't. He looks like more of a grab bag of traits right now than a finished product. I honestly still prefer Penix.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Hopefully, not to Washington or the Giants.
Drake Maye would concern me WAY more than McCarthy.

His ceiling seems enormous. I guess there is a chance that JJM has a higher floor, but their ceilings are not comparable, imo.

GuitarBytes

Reaction score
JJ is a one year wonder, he has a high probability of being a bust, Bo Nix or Michael Penix Jr have better chances, as they were starters in their high school years and have decent numbers.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
He'll go as early as 4th overall.

I'm not sure what to make of him. Seems like a good, solid player. Kirk Cousins?

I love him. He's the most underrated player in the draft to me. By fans, not front offices.

The thing about McCarthy is that he possesses a few abilities that every NFL team desires in their QB.

The ability I'm referring to is one you can easily see - the ability to escape the pocket, make guys miss, extend the play, then have the arm strength to throw a dime while on the run. He can throw lasers, 50 yard lasers, without planting his feet. That is special.

And if no one is open, he can pick up a 1st down with his legs pretty easily. He is a phenom of a scrambler on 3rd down.

And when he has time in the pocket, he makes throws like this look easy

Look at this throw. These are Aaron Rodgers type throws.

He could bust, like any QB. But if McCarthy turns into an elite QB, I would not be surprised. The traits are all there.

morasp

Reaction score
He will help push other players down to pick 24

1 Malik Nabers WR
2 Marvin Harrison Jr. WR
3 Caleb Williams QB
4 Rome Odunze WR
5 Jared Verse Edge
6 Jayden Daniels QB
7 Dallas Turner Edge
8 Brock Bowers TE
9 JC Latham OT/OG
10 Chop Robinson Edge
11 Drake Maye QB
12 Laiatu Latu Edge

13 Joe Alt OT
14 Terrion Arnold CB
15 Byron Murphy II DT
16 Taliese Fuaga OT/OG
17 Brian Thomas Jr. WR
18 Quinyon Mitchell CB
19 Troy Fautanu OT/OG
20 Graham Barton OT/OG/OC
2` Amarius Mims OT
22 Olumuyiwa Fashanu OT
23 Nate Wiggins CB
24 Tyler Guyton OT

Carter

Reaction score
McCarthy could become Andrew Luck like QB without the big body or Alex Smith / Kirk Cousins at worst.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I know we would have to move up, but after watching some of his highlights, he looks to me to be the Ben Roethlisberger of this draft.

I think he is a winner. If he falls out of the top 10, Id move up and sit him a year. He won't though. If he drops past 5, teams will move up

1942willys

Reaction score
McCarthy could become Andrew Luck like QB without the big body or Alex Smith / Kirk Cousins at worst.
He can bust as well. I frankly would not feel confident using a first on him unless it was the last half of the round