What about Matt Roth?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I've been reading nothing but good things about him this week. And the main thing I've been reading about him is that he's "Explosive" off the line. That's the most important physcial attribute a defensive player can have, IMO. It's not 40 times, bench reps, or shuttle times, it's "Explosiveness".

And since it seems we're about to switch to a 3-4, he'd be a helluva pick at #20 IMO. He has ideal size for a 3-4 OLB, and he could move to DE in our Nickel and Dime defenses. I'm actually liking a lot more about what I'm hearing/reading about Roth then what I've read about Merriman.

Also, about Spears, if he really is moving up the draft boards and we do take him at #11, then what does that say for La'Roi Glover? Would we look to trade him or would we move him to the other DE spot (opposite Spears) and trade Ellis? What would we trade him for? Picks or a player?

****** I can't wait for Free Agency and the draft?

Bobo

Reaction score
Don't know much about Roth, but what ESPN showed on the Senior Bowl practices looked nice. He may be like Pollack in that he doesn't have great work out #'s, but gets it done on the field. I like Pollack, but couldn't compare him to Roth since I haven't seen Roth much at all. I guess how these guys look in LB drills is going to determine who'd better fit if we go to the 3-4.

I'd like to think we could keep both Ellis and Glover, but I don't know if either wants to stick around if they're not starters. Of couse Spears may not start right away....but could Ellis bulk up enough to get to that prototypical 3-4 de size? NT is probably the biggest question mark.

Champsheart

Reaction score
I am not going to act like I have seen Roth play a lot, but what I have seen I do not like at all.

I heard Kiper giving Roth props at the end of the College Season, and had never seen him play before. I caught Roth in one game, and watched him in one of the Senior Bowl Practices. I saw nothing but him getting contained at the line of scrimmage in all occassions.

I really was trying to figure out what the fuss was about.

Rayman

Reaction score
As an Iowa fan I would love to get him.

One thing is this guys motor never stops.

ghst187

Reaction score
He used to be big into wrestling and that had worked greatly to his advantage. You ought to see the neck and traps on this guy. Overall, he is very disruptive. The games I saw him play, he was in the backfield over half the time. I remember the Michigan game very vividly, he was all over the place and disrupting about every play...this against a very good Mich OL.
He works and plays very hard but he grossly underathletic compared to other top defensive player picks in this draft like Spears and Merriman. Roth shouldn't be taken higher than the middle of round 2. I liked him as a college player but I don't think he'll have the same level of success in the pros.

Reaction score
I watched a lot of Iowa games this year and Roth didn't put up the sack totals that he is capable of, but the guy does dominate. You have to love the guys whose motor never stops. This guy HATES the QB and wants to decapitate him much like his idol Butkis.

I think Iowa's lack of stunts and blitzing kept his numbers down. I think he'd be a good pick in round 2, but won't last until ours.

Champsheart

Reaction score
Champsheart said:
I am not going to act like I have seen Roth play a lot, but what I have seen I do not like at all.

I heard Kiper giving Roth props at the end of the College Season, and had never seen him play before. I caught Roth in one game, and watched him in one of the Senior Bowl Practices. I saw nothing but him getting contained at the line of scrimmage in all occassions.

I really was trying to figure out what the fuss was about.

Roth looked better today then the few times I have seen him before. He showed a really quick first step, and good hands.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I was actually disappointed in Roth. He looked solid early on, but at the end of the game when he KNEW the offense was gonna be passing the ball he didn't get a good pass rush going. It seemed like he was just running right into the tackle every play.

Antaj Hawthorne looked exceptional in spots. On play goalline play (a run to Arrington) he totally blew the play up. The next play was the pass to Matt Jones.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Rack said:
Also, about Spears, if he really is moving up the draft boards and we do take him at #11, then what does that say for La'Roi Glover? Would we look to trade him or would we move him to the other DE spot (opposite Spears) and trade Ellis? What would we trade him for? Picks or a player?

****** I can't wait for Free Agency and the draft?

I'm not real sure why people keep talking about trading Ellis...he is a very good player and could play either DE spot in the 3-4 and is one of the better LDE's in the league in the 4-3...you dont improve your team by dumping guys like...Ellis is not a "small" DE, he's over 6'5 and around 280 or so lbs, he plays the run extremely well...

we wont be trading Ellis regardless of what scheme we play

David

Bobo

Reaction score
Ellis is around 280 or so? NFL.com has 2 listings on him, one at 267, the other at 271. That's a lot of lb's shy of your average 3-4 DE. If the 34 switch really does happen, it'd be nice to see him put on some lbs and play that position.

Parcells Guy

Reaction score
Bobo said:
Ellis is around 280 or so? NFL.com has 2 listings on him, one at 267, the other at 271. That's a lot of lb's shy of your average 3-4 DE. If the 34 switch really does happen, it'd be nice to see him put on some lbs and play that position.
if two of our best defensive players are not suited for the 3-4 , why are we even considering switching?

Bobo

Reaction score
Parcells Guy said:
if two of our best defensive players are not suited for the 3-4 , why are we even considering switching?

If Ellis can add some lb's, he may be just fine as a 3-4 de. Who's the other guy you're thinking of?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
I'm not real sure why people keep talking about trading Ellis...he is a very good player and could play either DE spot in the 3-4 and is one of the better LDE's in the league in the 4-3...you dont improve your team by dumping guys like...Ellis is not a "small" DE, he's over 6'5 and around 280 or so lbs, he plays the run extremely well...

we wont be trading Ellis regardless of what scheme we play

David

So you know for a fact he can play either DE spot in a 3-4, huh?

It's amazing how great your ESP works. :rolleyes:

No way in hell is Ellis 280. He's under 270. Easily under 275.

Cuz most of our defensive line isn't suited for a 4-3 either.

Was there anything wrong with Herschel Walker when we traded him?

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Roth as an end. Don't like him a bit as a 3-4 linebacker.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
junk said:
I wouldn't mind Roth as an end. Don't like him a bit as a 3-4 linebacker.

He seems to have a good motor and a good straight ahead burst, but he's not very athletic/agile. I agree, I don't see him as a 3-4 OLB. He wasn't even a factor late in the game as a DE when he KNEW the opposing offense had to throw the ball. I was expecting him to blow by the RT but it never happened.

Maybe we can turn Swancutt into an OLB and draft him in the 3rd?

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Rack said:
He seems to have a good motor and a good straight ahead burst, but he's not very athletic/agile. I agree, I don't see him as a 3-4 OLB. He wasn't even a factor late in the game as a DE when he KNEW the opposing offense had to throw the ball. I was expecting him to blow by the RT but it never happened.

Maybe we can turn Swancutt into an OLB and draft him in the 3rd?

I wasn't impressed with Roth. I didn’t see the explosion. I saw the high motor. He never gives up on a play. Cool. But give me explosive plus a high motor.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Rack said:
So you know for a fact he can play either DE spot in a 3-4, huh?

It's amazing how great your ESP works. :rolleyes:

No way in hell is Ellis 280. He's under 270. Easily under 275.

Cuz most of our defensive line isn't suited for a 4-3 either.

Was there anything wrong with Herschel Walker when we traded him?

I think Ellis is easily 280lbs or so...the guy isnt skinny, he looks ripped and has some major pipes for arms...his strength is run defense, and you need your 3-4 DE's to hold up well vs the run...he's also lined up at DT alot over the years in passing situations

and comparing anything to the Herschel Walker deal doesnt make much sense...we wouldnt fetch 29 draft picks and 5 players for Greg Ellis, or anyone else on this roster...if someone makes a bigtime offer then obviously you consider it, but trading someone just for the sake of trading them (especially when they are a good player) is stupid IMO

David

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
I think Ellis is easily 280lbs or so...the guy isnt skinny, he looks ripped and has some major pipes for arms...his strength is run defense, and you need your 3-4 DE's to hold up well vs the run...he's also lined up at DT alot over the years in passing situations

and comparing anything to the Herschel Walker deal doesnt make much sense...we wouldnt fetch 29 draft picks and 5 players for Greg Ellis, or anyone else on this roster...if someone makes a bigtime offer then obviously you consider it, but trading someone just for the sake of trading them (especially when they are a good player) is stupid IMO

David

Keeping a player that doesn't fit into the defense you're trying to run is stupid. Just cuz you think he's 280 (he isn't) and that he would hold up in a 3-4 (no one knows) doesn't make it true.

And I wasn't just referring to Ellis when I was talking trade anyway.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
NFL teams don't often bother to keep their players' weights accurate. Emmitt was listed at 5-9, 209 pounds from his rookie year until the day we released him, even though he clearly appeared to have added weight. The Cardinals list him at 5-10, 216 pounds.

The Cowboys list Ellis at either 271 or 277, and they've listed him at 275 in the past, so he's at least somewhere in the 270s but could weigh more. Looking at his build, I'd bet he could add 10-15 pounds without much problem, if we did decide to switch to the 3-4.