What about Steve Mariucci as offensive coordinator?

TX Cowboy

Reaction score
He is lookin to take a position, it's doubtful he'll be a head coach next
year, and with his extensive back round, both in college and in
the pro's of being an offensive coardinator..I think we should
take a shot at getting him

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
No way I would want this guy.
I seriously doubt that he is a strong enough to survive a season with the Tuna....

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
TX Cowboy said:
I would love it.

Mariucci is one of the few coaches that I really like.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Would that mean changing to the WCO?
Parcells would have none of that.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Mooch is a great coach. Yes, he is responsible in part for the failure of the Lions because he is not a disciplinarian and the Lions had a lot of young players that required discipline.

But Mooch is a great at working with veterans and teaching which is why he succeeded with the Niners. He is excellent at working quarterbacks because he is patient and intelligent. Brett Favre attributes much of his success to Mariucci when he was at Green Bay. Mariucci would be perfect for teaching basic fundamentals to Drew Henson and helping our offensive line.

The problem is Mariucci doesn't seem like he would take a backseat as an offensive coordinator because he could probably wait it out a year and get another head coaching job. People blame the Lions' GM more than Mariucci for their problems.

I do think Sean Payton is very overrated. He is one of those coaches that's been surrounded by hype since Day One. He hasn't accomplished anything and people were talking about him when he was with the Giants. I would gladly take Mooch over Payton.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
Mariucci is a cool guy. Have you ever seen that NFL films on him? He is pretty funny. I would like him as an O-Coordinator.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
I'm not sure but isn't he owed 5 million a year for the next two years?

I'd be more than happy to stay home and watch Oprah if I was him.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Not gonna happen...Just say no to the West Coast Offense...Bledsoe is not a W/C offense QB...

My money is on Chris Palmer OR Tony Sporano...

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
It's bad enough that we have to suffer through the indignity of having a 3-4 defense. But to go to Mooch's WCO would be the ultimate insult.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
It's bad enough that we have to suffer through the indignity of having a 3-4 defense.

what? you don't like seeing the best D we've put out in years?

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
what? you don't like seeing the best D we've put out in years?
It works...I'm happy with that. I would have been happier with a 4-3 that works as well. It's just the idea of ditching so much of our past with Landry having been one of the pioneers of the 4-3. Just a little thing...I can live with it.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Coaches can adapt. We wouldn't have to be a pure west coast offense. Mike Shanahan doesn't run a traditional west coast offense that incorporates the shotgun formation for example. And maybe people don't like to hear this but our offense in the 90's was very much a derivative of the west coast offense especially when Ernie Z. was our coordinator.

zack

Reaction score
TX Cowboy said:

Are you kidding? Did you see the talent on the Lions roster and how their offense performed? He can't develop a QB and his offense is a 100 times more conservative than the Cowboys. I don't want the Boys to run the left nut offense anyway!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
zack said:
Are you kidding? Did you see the talent on the Lions roster and how their offense performed? He can't develop a QB and his offense is a 100 times more conservative than the Cowboys. I don't want the Boys to run the left nut offense anyway!

Look at the average age of the offense, how long it takes to learn the WC and then get back to me on this whole thing. The problem in Detroit was not coaching but rather, overall youth of the players in the scheme. The Vets you did have were new to the offense and most of the skilled position players were to young. Tough to win that way. Ask BP what he thinks about young QBs or just look how he handles to position. That say all there is to say about it IMO.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
steve_mariucci_1.jpg
karras_1.jpg

Someone call for an exorcist?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
OK

Lets bring a West Coast offense guy in. To run a Bill Parcells offense featuring Drew Bledsoe at QB.

That is a TERRIBLE idea!:eek::

ravidubey

Reaction score
We ran a truly half-arsed 3-4 defense; any improvement on defense can only be attributed to a raising of overall talent level and enough improvement on offense to chew up more clock.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
I'll take Mike Sherman in here, I'll take Mike Tice in here.

Longshot - Randy Edsall

Favorite - Capers

OK - Palmer

What is Danny White doing these days? desperate