What about TE Olsen?

pgreptom

Reaction score
the whole point of Witten leaving was that he was a progress stopper, a show stopper... and my avatar on theranch was Jason Witten for over ten years. I'm a huge fan of Witten... but it is what it is.

Olsen will be the same. What is wrong with Blake Jarwin, the former WR converted to TE... playing in a WC system blended with the Air system?

I bet we don't draft a TE until the later rounds and maybe UDFA. Olsen will just get in Blake's way. Blake is an explosive weapon.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
the whole point of Witten leaving was that he was a progress stopper, a show stopper... and my avatar on theranch was Jason Witten for over ten years. I'm a huge fan of Witten... but it is what it is.

Olsen will be the same. What is wrong with Blake Jarwin, the former WR converted to TE... playing in a WC system blended with the Air system?

I bet we don't draft a TE until the later rounds and maybe UDFA. Olsen will just get in Blake's way. Blake is an explosive weapon.

Who's progress was Witten stopping? Its not like he stopped us from drafting anyone. We didnt have a TE on our roster capable of blocking a boston terrier. So signing Witten made sense last year. You also need 3 capable TE's on almost any roster. Especially one that loves to run the ball like we do. IF Jarwin didn't get on the field enough it was because he blocks like a 16 year old girl.

pgreptom

Reaction score
Who's progress was Witten stopping? Its not like he stopped us from drafting anyone. We didnt have a TE on our roster capable of blocking a boston terrier. So signing Witten made sense last year. You also need 3 capable TE's on almost any roster. Especially one that loves to run the ball like we do. IF Jarwin didn't get on the field enough it was because he blocks like a 16 year old girl.

Witten was definitely stopping the more explosive Jarwin, he got way too many balls thrown his way. Witten got 529 yards on 82 attempts.. 6.3 ypa... Blake is at 8.9, basically 9 yards an attempt. Easily the more explosive TE at this point.

You act as if Witten can still block like he could a decade ago. Even his PFF grade on the season is atrocious(59.4). Witten deserved snaps over a younger, faster, taller, more promising player? Jarwin is more explosive, has a higher ceiling and brings almost twice the volume in the passing game. He can improve his run blocking. I don't see your point.

"run the ball like we do"...

right. because that's what we did as Dak chucked up 5k yards last year. we ran the ball.

Last edited:

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This would be like trading a Bud Light for a Coors Light....both lacking in quality :laugh:

cern

Reaction score
Witten has slowed the progress of every te on the cowboys from pro bowler and superbowl winner martellus Bennett to the present day with his selfishness .

RoboQB

Reaction score
ESPN should offer to put Olsen in the booth on MNF.
Rivera will likely offer him a roster spot in Washington.

By the way, Olsen would be an upgrade over Witten in the passing game.
He's old and has had trouble shaking that broken foot injury, so,
retirement makes sense.

As for Jarwin, it will be fun to see the very fans who demanded he
become the starter turn against him a month or so into the season.

kumizi

Reaction score
We do need a TE. Even if you believe Jarwin can play, the TE position is a lot like the RB position now. You need at least two good guys and a serviceable third guy.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Injury prone. Old. No.

Jarwin is our starter next year. People need to quit trying to replace him. He's cheap and he makes plays.

Ok to good player. In contract year. Not the kind of guy we sign in free agency. I'd say he's the bridge free agent we normally sign, and we should be looking to draft a player to replace him this year.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Jarwin and Thaddeus Moss in 2020

I was devistated when Jones passed on his dad for greg ellis, if he passes on the son im going to take it personal lol

NickZepp

Reaction score
If we want an old TE that will be solid we'll probably keep Witten. I think we'll be fine if we go with Jarwin honestly.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Witten was definitely stopping the more explosive Jarwin, he got way too many balls thrown his way. Witten got 529 yards on 82 attempts.. 6.3 ypa... Blake is at 8.9, basically 9 yards an attempt. Easily the more explosive TE at this point.

You act as if Witten can still block like he could a decade ago. Even his PFF grade on the season is atrocious(59.4). Witten deserved snaps over a younger, faster, taller, more promising player? Jarwin is more explosive, has a higher ceiling and brings almost twice the volume in the passing game. He can improve his run blocking. I don't see your point.

"run the ball like we do"...

right. because that's what we did as Dak chucked up 5k yards last year. we ran the ball.

Jarwin cant block. Cant have a guy on the field that cant block. And witten is a better blocker than Jarwin even now.

Talk all you want about catching passes, Jarwin's issue is blocking and thats the reason, not Witten.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Witten has slowed the progress of every te on the cowboys from pro bowler and superbowl winner martellus Bennett to the present day with his selfishness .

Witten was still making pro bowls when Bennett was here. NO other TE was good enough including Jarwin. In a run first offense you need at TE that can block. Jarwin blocks like a girl.