What are the big weaknesses ?

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Put on the OC and DC hats and analyse what are the big weaknesses you see in out football team and give options to address some.

Guess, it is a slow week:laugh2:

Mash

Reaction score
Offensive Line...

We payed alot of cash there and they have been a big disappointment...

On Defense.

I would think we play too soft.....it looks like we are getting better but when its 3rd and long.......we struggle.....I hate zone defense.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Consistent offensive line play.
They just make too many mistakes at times.

Average linebacker play.
I don't really consider Ware, Ellis or Spencer as linebackers. They are listed as outside linebackers, but to me the outside guys in the 3-4 are more like extra defensive linemen than line backers. It is almost a 5-2 alignment. I am talking about James and Thomas. They can be steady at times, but they are not game changers. I love the 4-3 defense, but I can't see Dallas running it. They struggle to put two good interior linebackers in this 3-4 system. How are they going to find a 3rd guy to fit into a 4-3 system? Unless they move Ware to MLB in a 4-3. Not happening mid-season. Anyway, the two interior linebackers are just okay and sometimes just okay can be a weakness.

Safeties
Do I really need to elaborate?

Special teams
The coverage guys and blockers on the return team just don't have the desire to make it work. Desire is bigger than anything else when it comes to covering a kick or blocking someone coming at you with a full head of steam. You have to want to do it. You have to be part crazy. Too many of the guys on Dallas special teams are not crazy.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
nalam;2442983 said:
Put on the OC and DC hats and analyse what are the big weaknesses you see in out football team and give options to address some.

Playing better "Mentally" would mask alot of problems.

Not that I want to mask problems... but if I had ONE choice = play better mentally.

With tackling a close 2nd.... nah... make it 1a:D

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
joseephuss;2443051 said:
Consistent offensive line play.
They just make too many mistakes at times.

Average linebacker play.
I don't really consider Ware, Ellis or Spencer as linebackers. They are listed as outside linebackers, but to me the outside guys in the 3-4 are more like extra defensive linemen than line backers. It is almost a 5-2 alignment. I am talking about James and Thomas. They can be steady at times, but they are not game changers. I love the 4-3 defense, but I can't see Dallas running it. They struggle to put two good interior linebackers in this 3-4 system. How are they going to find a 3rd guy to fit into a 4-3 system? Unless they move Ware to MLB in a 4-3. Not happening mid-season. Anyway, the two interior linebackers are just okay and sometimes just okay can be a weakness.

Safeties
Do I really need to elaborate?

Special teams
The coverage guys and blockers on the return team just don't have the desire to make it work. Desire is bigger than anything else when it comes to covering a kick or blocking someone coming at you with a full head of steam. You have to want to do it. You have to be part crazy. Too many of the guys on Dallas special teams are not crazy.

Agree with all save the linebackers criticism.

Ware and Zach have been great. Spencer has been coming along when healthy. Bradie James has been average. Ellis slightly better than average I suppose.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Safety play has been poor....is there anyway they could move Henry to FS once PacMan and Jenkins return?

Offensive line needs to be better.

Special Teams have been atrocious, but the additions of Polk and Killa' seem to be helping.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
Weaknesses:

Our Secondary - The Secondary gives up big plays that put us in a 'bend but don't break' position. We are not getting enough interceptions. Only teams with less INTs than us (5) is Denver(4) and Detroit (2). We are one of the worst teams defending passes. We have 35 pass deflections, and only teams worse than that is Denver (31), Colts (29), and Lions (29).

Running game - The Running game is inconsistent. We are right in the middle of the league rushing wise, and we have a running game that isn't special. This would be fine if our offense is putting up big passing yards, but it hasn't been doing that consistently either... (but that's nothing to complain about)

Penalties - They are too much.

I don't have any solutions. Probably ask other teams to focus on the run on both sides of the ball.

joseephuss

Reaction score
HoleInTheRoof;2443211 said:
Agree with all save the linebackers criticism.

Ware and Zach have been great. Spencer has been coming along when healthy. Bradie James has been average. Ellis slightly better than average I suppose.

Like I said I don't really consider outside linebackers as linebackers. There is a significant difference between what the outside linebackers are asked to do and are capable of doing when compared to the inside linebackers. My criticism is not aimed at Ware, Ellis and Spencer. It is targeted at the inside linebackers.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I think we lack a true NT on defense and our OL is not mentally strong.

TonyS

Reaction score
We are a "big play" offense that has difficulty putting long, time-consuming drives on the board. Ultimately, we allow the opposing team's offense back on the field too much.

Look at the Giants and the last three Cowboys SB teams. They dominated the clock and then stuck the knife in you at the end. We have a hard time doing that due to inconsistent line play and penalties.

Our D would look all world if our O could dominate the clock more.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
TonyS;2444000 said:
We are a "big play" offense that has difficulty putting long, time-consuming drives on the board. Ultimately, we allow the opposing team's offense back on the field too much.

Look at the Giants and the last three Cowboys SB teams. They dominated the clock and then stuck the knife in you at the end. We have a hard time doing that due to inconsistent line play and penalties.

Valid points everyone. Tony right on money with the big play (live and die by it) Strange, but the SB winning giants team last year was likt this as well. Remember our play off loss, 50 yard toomer TD (disgusting tackling) and the superfast 40 sec TD before half and the big return of punt, whereas our O was grinding and scoring points , controlling the clock. Coincidence ? :)

goshan

Reaction score
Linebackers - Sorry, Zach hasn't been great. He is average.

Coverage/Safeties

Offensive line

Lack of game breaking speed at RB/WR

coach316

Reaction score
Offense: Do more to get Witten, Roy Williams et. al. involved in the game to make defenses pay for keying on TO. Keep moving TO around to help him get off the jams and avoid press coverage. Last year we used it very effectively to get TO open against Green Bay and it worked beautifully. After that it seemed we went right back to keeping him stationary and we struggled at the end of the year.

Defense: Better inside linebacker play. Thomas isn't any more than JAG than Ayodele was. From what I saw in TC and pre-season I really thought Zach was going to be a difference maker but I've been disappointed. James IMO is playing ok, but is putrid at timing his blitzes and pass rushing. Also I'd play a lot more man and press coverage than we have. Sickens me when we're at 3rd & 5 or 3rd & 7 and we're playing 10 yards off the ball.

Temo

Reaction score
TonyS;2444000 said:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/dallascowboys/statistics?team=DAL
Cowboys Time of Possession: 30:19
Opponents: 29:46

And that's for the season, including games quarterbacked by Brad Johnson and Brooks Bollinger. Our ToP has been even better with Romo.

Temo

Reaction score
Our Special Teams is the biggest weakness. About the only parts working right now are Field Goals.

Punting, kicking (as in kick offs), kick coverage, punt coverage, kick returns, and punt returns are all below league average.

Other weaknesses include inconsistent DE play, inconsistent interior LB play, trouble running the ball to the left, and Anthony Henry still being a starter.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Special teams coverage units are poor. You can fix it by plugging in starters who don't play special teams and take your chances.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
nalam;2442983 said:

LOG and SS. I'd look to attack these postions best I could.

Will this staff please move Henry to SS.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Mental focus and toughness are the biggest problems. The penalties and blown coverages, etc. are all a result of the lack of focus, mental toughness, and football I.Q. Personnel wise, we've really missed Felix because he brought that explosive element to our offense. Defenses had to account for him when he was on the field. I think adding Roy Williams will end up helping tremendously. Defensively, we just don't tackle well and play off the receivers much too far.