What are you all's thoughts on Weddle?

Thefeelofcotton

Mandalorian
Reaction score
According to this story http://ble.ac/1mmDW1I, he is going to be leaving SD after this season. I know he's 30, but he would compliment Byron Jones well as the other safety and maybe teach him a thing or two. Maybe sign him to a 3 year deal. I'm not too sure of his injury history but we could put incentives in there just in case.

Thoughts?

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
According to this story http://ble.ac/1mmDW1I, he is going to be leaving SD after this season. I know he's 30, but he would compliment Byron Jones well as the other safety and maybe teach him a thing or two. Maybe sign him to a 3 year deal. I'm not too sure of his injury history but we could put incentives in there just in case.

Thoughts?

I would rather add a good young SS via the draft.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Over 30 and credentials to make him more expensive than he is worth. The only way I sign him is if he gives us a discount over what he will probably be offered.

robjay04

Reaction score
Free agents rarely ever live up to their contract. It is very, very, very rare. Ask the Eagles...heck ask the Dolphins, they seem to make a splash every season and they don't even have a playoff appearance to show for it.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
If we can get Scandrick back to full health and move Byron to safety, then the need for Weddle kind of decreases a little bit.

He's a good player, but we don't need another Brandon Carr-esque contract on our hands especially with all the money we have wrapped up in Dez...

FaSho

Reaction score
The whole league knows he's 30, so I doubt anyone (unless it's Oakland or Washington) will give him a big contract. Seeing what he'd cost, certainly doesn't hurt.

I'd rather have Eric Berry though.

Reactions: BAT

csirl

Reaction score
Turned into Raiders v SD game to take a look at him. Injured very early in the game - not a good omen.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Turned into Raiders v SD game to take a look at him. Injured very early in the game - not a good omen.

He's been playing with a groin injury for most of 2015. He was a pro bowler as recently as last season. Weddle is still a stud when healthy. Combine every single safety on current roster and there is not even one pro bowl between them. Weddle has had 2 first team All-Pro's and 3 second team All-Pro. Weddle led the league in INTs in 2011.

Weddle's last 8 seasons, he averages just under 100 tackles a game (99.5 to be exact) and 2.25 INTs a season. Last season he had 114 tackles. 90's fans should equate Weddle's value to Everett Thomas or Roy Horton, or even Darren Woodson during the Roy Williams' years. Except Weddle is still at his peak pro bowl performance level.

superonyx

Reaction score
He's been playing with a groin injury for most of 2015. He was a pro bowler as recently as last season. Weddle is still a stud when healthy. Combine every single safety on current roster and there is not even one pro bowl between them. Weddle has had 2 first team All-Pro's and 3 second team All-Pro. Weddle led the league in INTs in 2011.

Weddle's last 8 seasons, he averages just under 100 tackles a game (99.5 to be exact) and 2.25 INTs a season. Last season he had 114 tackles. 90's fans should equate Weddle's value to Everett Thomas or Roy Horton, or even Darren Woodson during the Roy Williams' years. Except Weddle is still at his peak pro bowl performance level.

Your wasting your time around here...
Here is how this place works....if a player is anywhere close to 30 fans automatically will say he is a progress stopper and we should just grab a quality player in the draft instead. Or they will bring up another free agent that wasn't great and say it's the same.

This dude is a hard working, fan favorite stud player that is similar to Sean Lee minus the injuries.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'd be all over this move, provided that he's not looking for cap-busting money in a contract.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Same board didnt want Charles Woodson. 30 is just a number. He looked good this year before the injury.

Reactions: BAT

texbumthelife

Reaction score

Thoughts?

It's been discussed and brought up quite a bit.

He is 31, has shown signs of decline and will likely get a very large contract. No thanks.

Same board didnt want Charles Woodson. 30 is just a number. He looked good this year before the injury.

Good compared to what? He wasn't bad, but he certainly didn't look like he did in his prime. He looked a step slow from day one this season. Maybe he had a nagging injury but it was apparent he wasn't who he was the last few seasons.