What are your hobbies?

HotDog37

Reaction score
Math I'm like Rainman on steroids. I can also cook a mean omelette. Once upon a time I was a good high school quarterback and then become an expert at motocross I was riding since I was 6. I liked motocross better than football. After that college, military, and stuff. I can still cook.

ShortRound

Reaction score
This may have been done before and I didn’t see it through the pages I looked through. Many of us are obviously here on this board and we recognize each other’s handles. Do you have another hobby that you deep dive into or go in message boards about?

Mine is a little strange but it’s cologne/scents. I have worn cologne since being a kid...Polo in the 80s and remember my Dad wearing it in the 70s. At 87 he still does now. I always get strong scent associations so in 2008 I started looking for a new cologne besides Cool Water, anything Armani etc that you smell on everyone. At first it was Google searches. Then it led me down a million rabbit holes where I got on a website..basenotes.net. Then I started learning about all kinds of brands that are niche etc. Started sampling from websites. I never found my one but now have about 5 random bottles I rotate snd change. Everything from a $400 bottle to cheap stuff. It drives my wife nuts as I’m always looking for my next score or something different. So we are going on 13 yrs of the hobby and still posting on that website. You would be amazed at the money some of the people sink into this. Collectors with 100s, maybe 1000s of bottles on the far spectrum

Do you know about Badger and Blade? It's a wetshaving community/site but cologne is a big part of it. I was there for awhile but moved on to collecting: Fountain Pens, Pocket Knives, Flashlights (This was a weird one).

Here's that site: https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/forums/fragrance.9/

cowboyec

Reaction score
newest additions to my Cowboys collection:
☆Ed"too tall"Jones autographed mini-helmet.
☆Ray Wright autographed mini-helmet.
☆Mel Renfro autographed mini-helmet.

gonna look great in my janitor cave...or the dog-house.
haven't decided.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Do you know about Badger and Blade? It's a wetshaving community/site but cologne is a big part of it. I was there for awhile but moved on to collecting: Fountain Pens, Pocket Knives, Flashlights (This was a weird one).

Here's that site: https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/forums/fragrance.9/

I like the idea of pocket knives. My Dad used to take us to the hardware shop as kids the pick the. Out so we could whittle while sitting in trees. Doesn’t sound safe but oh well.

I have heard of it but have no posted there. I feel like I spend too much time on the one I’m on. I appreciate the link. I’ll go through it. I always try snd find lists where I can get new ideas

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Where do I start? lol I have way too many hobbies/interests. My latest kick is records (as in vinyl). I have been wanting, and received for Christmas, a record player. That kick started it and it's been fun, but dang, didn't realize records were so expensive ($25-$100). My record player is pretty entry level too so I may look into upgrading it soon.

While I realize we live in a digital world and it is convenient, I enjoy the physical media aspect of it, and there is just something great about grabbing a record and throwing it on to listen to.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Where do I start? lol I have way too many hobbies/interests. My latest kick is records (as in vinyl). I have been wanting, and received for Christmas, a record player. That kick started it and it's been fun, but dang, didn't realize records were so expensive ($25-$100). My record player is pretty entry level too so I may look into upgrading it soon.

While I realize we live in a digital world and it is convenient, I enjoy the physical media aspect of it, and there is just something great about grabbing a record and throwing it on to listen to.
i love records.
ebay is the first place i shop at...if your patient you can find some good deals.
local antique stores are my 2nd go to.
the local good will stores always have a large amount of vinyl....you might search there.
another place i like is half price books...if you have one where you live...check it out.
you can make some good finds under $10.
used cd/music stores are good also.
happy hunting.
and i agree....nothing sounds like vinyl.

aria

Reaction score
-Collecting tattoos (slowed down lately due to lack of ideas and good local artists; I’m very picky)
-Working out (specifically lifting weights)
-Snowboarding is one of my favorite things to do but only go 1-2 times a year due to price
-Fading craft beer aficionado (used to attend major beer festivals, travel across the country for beer releases and brewery tours, hundreds of online beer trades)
-Reading is probably my favorite hobby, I read every day
-Video games
-Gambling (cutting back)
-Attending live music (almost non existent recently for obvious reasons)
-Watching movies

So pretty much I’m a grown man child which is why I don’t have any nor should

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
This may have been done before and I didn’t see it through the pages I looked through. Many of us are obviously here on this board and we recognize each other’s handles. Do you have another hobby that you deep dive into or go in message boards about?

Mine is a little strange but it’s cologne/scents. I have worn cologne since being a kid...Polo in the 80s and remember my Dad wearing it in the 70s. At 87 he still does now. I always get strong scent associations so in 2008 I started looking for a new cologne besides Cool Water, anything Armani etc that you smell on everyone. At first it was Google searches. Then it led me down a million rabbit holes where I got on a website..basenotes.net. Then I started learning about all kinds of brands that are niche etc. Started sampling from websites. I never found my one but now have about 5 random bottles I rotate snd change. Everything from a $400 bottle to cheap stuff. It drives my wife nuts as I’m always looking for my next score or something different. So we are going on 13 yrs of the hobby and still posting on that website. You would be amazed at the money some of the people sink into this. Collectors with 100s, maybe 1000s of bottles on the far spectrum
:omg:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Awesome! Glad to see another drag head. Fragrantica is an awesome site snd honestly it is where I check most of my purchases for reviews. I have a sign in there but the site I frequent is Basenotes.. basenotes.net. That is where I do most of my discussing. I go back and forth between niche and designer. When I first started everything high end seemed to try too hard and the edgy stuff wasn’t my style. Creed does a good job of staying relevant but being high end. I own Green Irish Tweed but have owned/had large samples of most of the others. In fact I just finished some Aventus. I like Tom Ford. There are some other high end brands like Bond No 9, Amouage, Histoires de Parfum etc that I like but their scents are hit or miss. I want wearable and classy without being obnoxious. Even some designers like Bleu de Chanel, Dior Savage have taken on a life of their own. 20 is a pretty good number! What is your favorite? Right now I have 5....Burberry London(wedding/honeymoon fragrance so always in my group), Creed GIT, Histoires de Parfum 1899(better version of Spicebomb); Aramis Tobacco Reserve and this one I got in Italy that you can only get in a the shop it comes from in this one town...Stresa. I just can’t bring myself to go beyond that 5-7 range though I want more. I will just have to rotate more this year

Well sorry about the chemo but it sounds like you keep the crowd lively in that site!
Never in a million years would I think cologne would be a hobby.

timb2

Reaction score
What are my hobbies

I like the NFL Draft and I make Mock Drafts. Most maybe do one round. I at times will doa whole seven rounds for all teams. It's like a giant puzzle,knowing what is ideal players for certain teams. Certain positions,evaluating the players. Even to the point of looking at some guys background history. Like when RG3 came out I didn't think he had it. When Johnny Manziel came out I definitely knew he didn't have it. Pat Mahomes I knew he had it the day of the draft all of sudden Mahomes was rated 4th or 5th round QB . I had him at # 11 overall and Mahomes ended up I think going #9 overall Chiefs traded up over the Saints where I had him.

I'm also a Conspiracy Nut. Yes 15 years ago people thought I was nuts,now they come up to me saying" You were right"

I admit I have a unhealthy admiration for beautiful women and love all women . Even though I have a strong attraction for the Asian Persuasion. IF YOU GUYS CAN TALK THE MODS HERE INTO A BIKINI BABES THREAD I WILL BE A GREAT CONTRIBUTOR TO IT

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Golf, working out, Texas country music, wine tours, good food, trips to local coffee shop, fun time with the wife.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

I wore Polo in the 80s. Obsession and Cool Water in the 90s. I have Nautica Voyage and Guess since but don’t use it on a daily basis anymore.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Never in a million years would I think cologne would be a hobby.

Me neither but I went into the deep dive and there are a lot of people that are and know some pretty in depth chemistry on it all. I just enjoy them, read the boards and have some I enjoy while rotating new ones. There are people off the rails who have 100s of bottles they store in special displays etc

catiii

Reaction score
They used to be bass fishing (Caddo Lake was my fav), ham radio, skywarn, travel, flying. Can't afford to do any of those things any more on SS and my 2m ham radio broke a long time ago and can't afford a new radio and power supply and antenna. Cooking (and smoking my famous briskets) was up there too but with no taste or smell due a stroke, why bother. Life sucks now. No money, no car, and can't even enjoy the simple pleasure of a good meal. When my old PC bites the dust, I'm really going to be stuffed. Just waiting for the comet impact to come - or the mothership to take me away from this rock.
Now my hobby is playing my keyboard, and my old outdated computer even though it can't do gaming because no discreet graphics but at least it gets me online - for now. Sucks getting old.

Last edited:

cowboyec

Reaction score
newest additions to my Cowboys collection:
☆Ed"too tall"Jones autographed mini-helmet.
☆Ray Wright autographed mini-helmet.
☆Mel Renfro autographed mini-helmet.

gonna look great in my janitor cave...or the dog-house.
haven't decided.
add
☆Billy Joe Dupree
to the auto mini helmet collection.

slotshot

Reaction score
I restore classic hot rods. I assure you that a crack habit would be less expensive, but it can be addictive and the car-culture here in DFW is pretty awesome. I somewhat recently even rented a commercial garage shop in downtown Grapevine to work in (rather than continuing to irritate by wife). Finished a really nice convertible 67 Mustang recently, as well as a 66 AMC Rambler. Current projects are a 67 RS/SS Camaro and a great duplicate of the Mystery Machine van from Scooby Doo (69 Chevy G-10).

HungryLion

Reaction score
Bike riding. (BMX, Mountain, motorcycle)

Kayaking (I live 20 minutes from the Delaware river. I go kayaking there frequently)

video games

I used to golf a lot but haven’t as much as I would like lately due to young kids and the cost.

jsb357

Reaction score
79mb300d.jpg