What are your thoughts trading for Solomon Thomas?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Should the Cowboys consider trading for this former no. 3 overall pick and Super Bowl participant?

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...er-trading-for-this-former-no-3-overall-pick-

The Cowboys have been known to make a trade here and there.

By DannyPhantom@DannyPhantom24 Jan 29, 2020, 2:00pm CST

usa_today_13852523.0.jpg
Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports

The Dallas Cowboys are in the business of improving their roster 365 days of the year, or in the case of 2020 - 366 days since it’s a leap year. That is the mantra of Stephen Jones as the team is always on the look out to improve their team. It’s not just lip service either as the Cowboys made moves to bring in Robert Quinn and Michael Bennett last season. They were both outstanding front office moves as these veteran defensive linemen made quality contributions on defense. And the best part is - it hardly cost the Co

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Thomas was a near cut. So trade for at a very small price, sure.
A mid-round pick? No.
He's essentially a low end rotation player along the DL who is overpaid and will have a monster 5th year option.

He is a local kid tho (and IIRC one time teammate of Connor Williams) which is why he keeps getting projected here. --Tho he went to college right there in the Bay area and that fit has failed.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Cant say I know either, but I don't think he starts.

I dont see how Dallas can afford to trade much more than a 5th for this guy, if that.

Quinn went for a 6th, and we are down a bit of late round capital as is.

What's his contract status?

I'll say that THIS is the type if guy that we should be looking for along the DLine....in the hope that a change of scenery helps him put it all together.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Thomas was a near cut. So trade for at a very small price, sure.
A mid-round pick? No.
He's essentially a low end rotation player along the DL who is overpaid and will have a monster 5th year option.

He is a local kid tho (and IIRC one time teammate of Connor Williams) which is why he keeps getting projected here. --Tho he went to college right there in the Bay area and that fit has failed.
So isnt he a UFA without the 5th year being picked up?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
So isnt he a UFA without the 5th year being picked up?
Next year.

This year he is a 9m cap hit.... If 49ers pay his roster bonus.

Next year he will be an UFA.

I am guessing he gets cut this year rather than pay that roster bonus tbh but not familiar with their cap mgmt to be more than a guess.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Should the Cowboys consider trading for this former no. 3 overall pick and Super Bowl participant?

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...er-trading-for-this-former-no-3-overall-pick-

The Cowboys have been known to make a trade here and there.

By DannyPhantom@DannyPhantom24 Jan 29, 2020, 2:00pm CST

usa_today_13852523.0.jpg
Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports

The Dallas Cowboys are in the business of improving their roster 365 days of the year, or in the case of 2020 - 366 days since it’s a leap year. That is the mantra of Stephen Jones as the team is always on the look out to improve their team. It’s not just lip service either as the Cowboys made moves to bring in Robert Quinn and Michael Bennett last season. They were both outstanding front office moves as these veteran defensive linemen made quality contributions on defense. And the best part is - it hardly cost the Co
why trade for a bust? if anything then a conditional 7th rounder if he makes the roster or final cut...why are we suggesting to trade for somebody else's garbage?

conner01

Reaction score
Most drafts a late round pick is not gonna get a player who can help
But this draft it very well could
We need a kicker and a punter and both could be there late in this draft
I’d rather have a guy like Mann or Bass
If the guy is cut, which is highly likely
Then I might look
But he is a major underachieving player who has great talent but never put it together
I wouldn’t want his contract either
Sign him if he’s cut and if he looks like he has so far cut him in camp

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Next year.

This year he is a 9m cap hit.... If 49ers pay his roster bonus.

Next year he will be an UFA.

I am guessing he gets cut this year rather than pay that roster bonus tbh but not familiar with their cap mgmt to be more than a guess.
Cowboys could presumably trade for Thomas and pay him 4.25M this year.
49ers would signing bonus.
But it would essentially be a 1 year 4.25Mmil deal for a Tyrone Crawford clone.
I'd be tempted to do it if Thomas' agent indicates he wants to sign an extension at that 4-5M a year range.

If not it's a tougher call for a 1 year rental.
I do like his ability to play multiple sets.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
I thought that he was going to be great when he came out, but his career has not been anywhere near what I expected. I would certainly be willing to give him a shot, but TRADE for him? Well, um, no thanks.

snapper

Reaction score
Because it's another clueless, trash article written by Blogging the Boys biggest embarrassment that found its way here.

:facepalm:

I stopped reading BTB and TLH years ago. Poor grammar and mistypes aside, they're just not very informative. There are posters on this site that write better material.

Oddly, enough, Thomas was on the local news last night. Great story about his family and sister who committed suicide. He is playing for her. He has not lived up to his draft status, but he seems like a good guy to have on your team for the right price.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Go get us at least one big boy (Jordan Phillips, Michael Pierce, Danny Shelton for examples) and then if you can get a guy like this affordably, sure.

fivetwos

Reaction score
why trade for a bust? if anything then a conditional 7th rounder if he makes the roster or final cut...why are we suggesting to trade for somebody else's garbage?
On the hope to catch lightning in a bottle.

Maybe the idea that a different position coach can get through to him somehow.

I just think the DL is different than any other position.
It's a rotational thing and you need a bunch of bodies. Need to build it from various sources.

There are guys that bust in one place and the light goes on elsewhere. Have to take that chance sometimes.

That said...in no way do you give up a high pick for this type of guy.

Also....he plays behind some serious heavy hitters in SF on that DL