What beats cover 2 shell?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
This is hardly some brand new method of playing defense against an explosive offense.. It has been around forever.. So I had to take a step back and try to understand why it has been so effective against the Cowboys.. No matter how many times I looked I kept coming back to the same thing.. Patience.. Patience to keep running the ball even if the results are not spectacular. Patience to keep taking the short throws over the middle that the two deep shell presents. Patience to get the ball to the backs in the flat quickly and give them space to work. All this stuff falls on Dak and Kellen Moore.. They need to pull their heads out and do what it takes to possess the ball, control the clock and punch it into the end zone. They need to quit being greedy and impatient.. Moore needs to instill in Dak the importance of not checking out of runs at certain times and Dak needs to be smart enough not to fall for the banana in the tailpipe every time the defense walks guys up to the line of scrimmage and try to show a run defense look on 2nd and 3rd down. They're trying to bait you into a pass call then they're going to drop 7 guys into coverage while the 4 remaining linemen completely disregard the run on the way to taking your head off. This is especially pronounced in the red zone where there is a lot less space to maneuver. Get under center.. run the damn ball off tackle, double at the point of attack and tell any TE who refuses to block that he's not going to play.

Problem solved... You're welcome..
Thank you sir!

Verdict

Reaction score
This is hardly some brand new method of playing defense against an explosive offense.. It has been around forever.. So I had to take a step back and try to understand why it has been so effective against the Cowboys.. No matter how many times I looked I kept coming back to the same thing.. Patience.. Patience to keep running the ball even if the results are not spectacular. Patience to keep taking the short throws over the middle that the two deep shell presents. Patience to get the ball to the backs in the flat quickly and give them space to work. All this stuff falls on Dak and Kellen Moore.. They need to pull their heads out and do what it takes to possess the ball, control the clock and punch it into the end zone. They need to quit being greedy and impatient.. Moore needs to instill in Dak the importance of not checking out of runs at certain times and Dak needs to be smart enough not to fall for the banana in the tailpipe every time the defense walks guys up to the line of scrimmage and try to show a run defense look on 2nd and 3rd down. They're trying to bait you into a pass call then they're going to drop 7 guys into coverage while the 4 remaining linemen completely disregard the run on the way to taking your head off. This is especially pronounced in the red zone where there is a lot less space to maneuver. Get under center.. run the damn ball off tackle, double at the point of attack and tell any TE who refuses to block that he's not going to play.

Problem solved... You're welcome..
We don’t run the ball outside the tackles nearly often enough.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Your take is exactly opposite of what Amari Cooper pointing out as being the problem.

The Cowboys move the ball. Stats confirm that.
- Their issue is too many field goals that should be TDs.
- Cooper says the issue with cover-2 is that running the ball and using short passing inevitably leads to having to score from the red zone.
- Cooper believes that the solution is to score more before they get to the red zone.
- That is hard to do when running the ball and with short passes.

Amari, shorter: Throw me the damn ball!

To be clear, I don't think Amari is a prima donna ball hog, but it's no more illuminating or surprising to hear a WR advocate for more throws 20+ than it would be to hear a RB advocate for more commitment to the run. People tend to believe that the part they play is the most important part and should be expanded.

I think we've got a problem because our base offense is ill suited to a crowded field. Our oline is not a straight ahead bulldozer. It's even less so when Tyron is out, and he's out often. Dak's strength is not touch passing to throw a guy open, and we don't have post up WRs or TEs either. Both Dak and Zek are just not delivering in the run game like they used to.

I think we could do more with what we've got in the red zone

RonnieT24

Reaction score
So we got a lot of what we've been waiting for last night.. Some outside runs, some Dak runs, some slants, some passes to the TEs in the seams. Most of all, we saw the Cowboys exhibit some patience to continue to take the short and intermediate stuff and then capitalize on the longer throws as they presented. I still would like to have seen more of a commitment to the running game but Payne and Allen still beat up our inside blocking and allowed their linebackers to disrupt our running game. Still in all there was very little not to like about that performance.. And yall know me and complaining about wins.. Not hapnin.. On to AZ!!!

TWOK11

Reaction score
The primary methods of beating a soft cover 2 are to high/low the corners, horizontally stretch the corners to create gaps between the SAM/WILL and the corner on their respective sides, or the most popular method these days just spam 4 verts and find the open guy (there will always be at least one). The key to the latter is you have to protect long enough for receiver to get 15+ yards downfield for it to work.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The primary methods of beating a soft cover 2 are to high/low the corners, horizontally stretch the corners to create gaps between the SAM/WILL and the corner on their respective sides, or the most popular method these days just spam 4 verts and find the open guy (there will always be at least one). The key to the latter is you have to protect long enough for receiver to get 15+ yards downfield for it to work.

This has been the problem for the Cowboys up until last night and even sometimes last night. There has been far too much leakage up front for them to do this consistently. The other factor is that without Jarwin the other tight ends take too long to get there. They allow the backers to get into Dak's line of sight all too frequently. However if we are running it even halfway decent those backers have to hold that extra count to check the run. Which opens up everything..

TWOK11

Reaction score

The problem is that running the ball well has virtually no correlation with winning in the NFL. You can run for 250 yards, but if your opponent throws the ball more efficiently and explosively you’ll almost always lose.

And to counter the most common protest, no running the ball well doesn’t help you throw the ball better statistically speaking. As long as you TRY to run the ball, playaction and explosive passing plays are just as effective whether you average 3 YPC or 7 YPC. How well you throw the ball is largely dependent on who your QB is and whether you can pass protect.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The problem is that running the ball well has virtually no correlation with winning in the NFL. You can run for 250 yards, but if your opponent throws the ball more efficiently and explosively you’ll almost always lose.

And to counter the most common protest, no running the ball well doesn’t help you throw the ball better statistically speaking. As long as you TRY to run the ball, playaction and explosive passing plays are just as effective whether you average 3 YPC or 7 YPC. How well you throw the ball is largely dependent on who your QB is and whether you can pass protect.

Yeah I agree with that but it doesn’t apply to the Cowboys.

Dak almost never loses when we successfully run the football.

So whatever trend works league wide it doesn’t work here because when we go for a 100 yards we don’t lose hardly.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
The only problem was the red zone offense as Coop alluded to in his interview. We were one of the worst at scoring TDs in red zone in the NFL both in our losing streak, and our slump offensive performances. (Meanwhile, we were top 3 in just about everything else that matters.) Red Zone was 6-6 last night and suddenly the offense looks like it's back. :thumbup: