What can actually be done with Jaylon Smith?

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
Anything that doesn't require a lot of pass coverage and much thinking...

Stand him up and let him rush the passer...he seems to have good short bursts, but lacks the speed to keep up with receivers.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Jaylon is best suited to be a SAM. You use him coming forward not playing sideline to sideline as a Mike. He can man cover TE and he can offer you enough zone to keep the coverage mixed in but he is def not a zone LB or 4-3 sideline to sideline MLB.
And you certainly don't play any Mike behind the worst DT combo in the league and expect plus results.
IF the LB is eating blocks at the second level right off the snap that's a DT issue but it's OK if the DT are making plays themselves.
If they aren't AND the LB is eating blocks.. well you are gonna give 160+ yards rushing a week.

A LOT of the teams woes fall on Jaylon.
Lack of DT eating space/blocks.
Lack of any DE not name DLaw setting an edge.
Lack of any health at LB for anyone else causing him 100% DEF usage.

I'd probably rather run it back with Jaylon in 2021 in a reduced role then to spend a top 15 pick to replace him.
Perhaps go get a guy in round 3 or FA that can split snaps with him and see if you can clean up some of the other mess on this defense.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He can be benched in an attempt to motivate him, but he's still got a lot of gauranteed money left on that stupid contract Jerry gave him.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The best thing Jaylon can do is study the game at this point. The worry with him coming out of Notre Dame was obviously physical with his nerve-damaged leg, but as time goes on, I'm thinking his real problems are mental. Either he's simply not that smart or he doesn't take his prep work seriously.

I think it's telling that as soon as he faces the Giants, running an easy Garrett playbook where he already knows the plays, he dominates and looks like a 60 million dollar man again. But give him eye candy, and he will bite on it again and again and again. Teams have figured him out (except for Jason Garrett, who's going to run his game plan like always :rolleyes:).

I think Dallas owes him $7M if they keep him in 2021 and $7M if they cut him, and that's an easy choice because he is playing way below replacement level right now. He has 8 weeks to change my mind, but the last 8 weeks have been dreadful. If I'm Jaylon and I get cut, I'm angling to land a 1 year prove-it deal with the Colts to land with the scheme and the coach that made me stacks of money in the first place.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Best thing is for Jaylon to play all games this season , get a little experience .

Next offseason , cut him , trade him , sell him ... whatever it takes to wish him well out of dallas.