What Can We Get For Ronald Leary? Other Cowboys?

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I was reading an article regarding hypothetical trades on nfl.com which I linked below.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...to-broncos-among-trades-that-would-make-sense

Ronald Leary's name comes up as one of the possible trades.

That made me think about the possibilities of trading Leary and what we could get player wise?

Leary to my understanding would be a restricted FA next season and since we have La'el Collins now starting at LG, clearly the future at the position, we probably would not make an offer to Leary since he would want a starters contract and rightfully so.

So it's probably best we get something for him while we might still be able to.

What do you think we can get for him and what team would we make the trade with?

What about other players like Barry Church? Apparently Byron Jones might be moving to safety soon.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was reading an article regarding hypothetical trades on nfl.com which I linked below.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...to-broncos-among-trades-that-would-make-sense

Ronald Leary's name comes up as one of the possible trades.

That made me think about the possibilities of trading Leary and what we could get player wise?

Leary to my understanding would be a restricted FA next season and since we have La'el Collins now starting at LG, clearly the future at the position, we probably would not make an offer to Leary since he would want a starters contract and rightfully so.

So it's probably best we get something for him while we might still be able to.

What do you think we can get for him and what team would we make the trade with?

What about other players like Barry Church? Apparently Byron Jones might be moving to safety soon.

Restricted means they don't have to give him a contract. They can give him a restricted free agent 2nd round tender which is a 1 year deal for about 2M.

His value is likely low right now considering that he lost his starting job. It was an injury issue but nonetheless he is not starting or even active on game day.

It is more likely that they could tender him in the off-season and possibly get something then. There is always a chance that a team could sign him to an offer which would require them to give the Cowboys a 2nd round pick based on the tender. The Cowboys could also consider a trade for less than the 2nd round pick.

Either way, they need a backup OG this season and the different in what they might get now and in the off-season is highly doubtful to be enough to justify making the trade now.

Barry Church has not trade value. He is a low end starter in the league and primarily has value to the Cowboys because he knows the scheme.

If Jones starts at Safety it will likely be the deep Safety position which has been the spot Wilcox plays.

Last edited:

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Restricted means they don't have to give him a contract. They can give him a restricted free agent 2nd round tender which is a 1 year deal for about 2M.

Yes, I am aware. Thank you though.

What could we get for him?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
So you don't want to make a run at a championship? Doing so usually requires depth. If you trade it all away then have an injury, you've shot yourself in the foot.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I still wouldn't rule out the possibility that La'el could play RT next season. Leary's still a good player when healthy.

That option is not out of the question. Absent that, I think the likely outcome is they tender him and keep him as insurance for another year. That would be smart and relatively inexpensive for a player of his caliber.

jnday

Reaction score
I still wouldn't rule out the possibility that La'el could play RT next season. Leary's still a good player when healthy.

I really wish that he has the talent to move to RT. he would be much more valuable to the team if he can replace Free. I think injuries has slowed Leary and his play has reflected that.

AzorAhai

Reaction score

His value is likely low right now considering that he lost his starting job. It was an injury issue but nonetheless he is not starting or even active on game day.

It is more likely that they could tender him in the off-season and possibly get something then. There is always a chance that a team could sign him to an offer which would require them to give the Cowboys a 2nd round pick based on the tender. The Cowboys could also consider a trade for less than the 2nd round pick.

Either way, they need a backup OG this season and the different in what they might get now and in the off-season is highly doubtful to be enough to justify making the trade now.

Barry Church has not trade value. He is a low end starter in the league and primarily has value to the Cowboys because he knows the scheme.

If Jones starts at Safety it will likely be the deep Safety position which has been the spot Wilcox plays.

This.

He's tendered this offseason and since they can't use the original round tender, its the 2nd. This season he's the b/u injury protection. Next season I doubt a team gives a 2nd to sign him. The Cowboys probably only look to trade him if Berny is re-signed and even then I have my doubts. For as little as he will cost I think the team would need a 3rd or 4th Rd pick to consider a trade. I'm not sure he gets that since he didn't look that great.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Then why did you state the team wouldn't give him a contract? At the very least they will tender him at a 2nd round level.

Because they may not. Said "probably wouldn't" if they don't view him as the starting LG, to be exact. They may not see value in giving him a 2nd round tender either for the $2 million which is not bad for a starting quality LG mind you. If they can get a decent draft pick or a starting quality player we can use. Like a DT, Safety or fair priced RB the FO may see more value in trading him than tendering him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because they may not. Said "probably wouldn't" if they don't view him as the starting LG, to be exact. They may not see value in giving him a 2nd round tender either for the $2 million which is not bad for a starting quality LG mind you. If they can get a decent draft pick or a starting quality player we can use. Like a DT, Safety or fair priced RB the FO may see more value in trading him than tendering him.

They have to tender him in order to trade him if the trade happens in the off-season.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

It looks like a weak intirior draft this year. Leary could be a quick fix for a team with a weak intirior and could fetch us a 3rd.

I think his stock can get repaired even if he doesnt start. Right now that 4th Brandt proposes may be generous

Pabst

Reaction score
Leary is always going to be worth less than his play would dictate based on his degenerative knee condition. I have the same condition myself, and it never gets better.

AKATheRake

Reaction score

You make a good point if Collins moves to RT.

I would want to keep Leary in that case. He's very effective when healthy, a good pro, liked on this team and a fair cost to the cap at 2 mil. I'm not even saying it's a must we trade him. Just wondering what we can get that would help the team? Even other players like Wilcox or Church since it seems Byron Jones is going to make a move to safety?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This.

He's tendered this offseason and since they can't use the original round tender, its the 2nd. This season he's the b/u injury protection. Next season I doubt a team gives a 2nd to sign him. The Cowboys probably only look to trade him if Berny is re-signed and even then I have my doubts. For as little as he will cost I think the team would need a 3rd or 4th Rd pick to consider a trade. I'm not sure he gets that since he didn't look that great.

I would say the probability of him being traded during the season is very near zero. They have to protect the QB and Leary is a much better backup OG than Bern.

Obviously the biggest issue for a team that might want to trade for him is that they would have to give him an contract after the 1 year tender. Well managed teams normally don't give up draft picks for players that also require a new contract. It's normally better to use the draft pick in the draft or to use the money on a free agent but not both on the same player.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
So you don't want to make a run at a championship? Doing so usually requires depth. If you trade it all away then have an injury, you've shot yourself in the foot.

I'm not saying I'm the biggest Bernadeaux fan but he's the backup swing guard is he not?

If Leary could get us a starting quality player at DT that's around his age and a fair cost would that not be useful?

A good RB that teams respect, has tread left on the tires and is fair priced? That's adding depth or a starter in an area we could use an upgrade.

McFadden looked good but for how long and can he hold up? The injury factor and depth pertains to all parts of the roster and o-line looks as strong as any unit.

RS12

Reaction score
I would love to get a second for Leary. Never happen though.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It looks like a weak intirior draft this year. Leary could be a quick fix for a team with a weak intirior and could fetch us a 3rd.

I think his stock can get repaired even if he doesnt start. Right now that 4th Brandt proposes may be generous

Yes, if it happened it would be in the off-season and a 3rd seems that what it would take for the Cowboys to give up quality depth. I don't see a team giving up and 2nd and I don't see the Cowboys taking a 4th.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes, if it happened it would be in the off-season and a 3rd seems that what it would take for the Cowboys to give up quality depth. I don't see a team giving up and 2nd and I don't see the Cowboys taking a 4th.

I could see an RFA for an RFA