CFZ What Dallas needs is a Road Grader Mentality

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Wow was it great back then! Even in the dark days of Landry's end, there was a pure roadgrader on the Cowboys' OL. He would blow open holes for Hershel Walker, which led to an NFC rushing championship in 1988. On plays where he was a pulling guard, defensive players would be blown away like a snowplower blows away snow.

He was the key run blocker for Emmitt Smith early in his career. He was a tough, strong dude, always ready to play, every game. Remember him, Nate Newton?

Then, Larry Allen joined in as starter in 1995, and Troy had double roadgraders. Wow, could those guys roadgrade, 1773 yards for Emmit and 25 rushing TD'S. Troy did not have to throw. That is why his passing stats are not so prolific. He had the OL to dominate.

I have seen what the Cowboys have seen in Tyler Smith, he is a road grader. He hurts the defenders. Even at his tender age, he has enormous NFL strength to open lanes for the Boys' RB's. He has been given advanced coaching attention.

Last years' OL performance was the worst I have seen in many years. Some young OLmen need several years of seasoning before they become very effective starters, like Doug Free. He sat behind Marco Colombo and learned the game, got stronger, developed instincts. Nowadays, we rush players onto the field too soon and coming from college they are not ready.

We were spoiled by T FRED who came from Wisconsin and was the best center we ever had from the outset. He was a generational Center talent. Biadascz is still a baby, still learning, getting stronger, and hopefully better. He had major operations to a hip and a shoulder, which obviously had compromised his strength. If not for those operations, he would have been a 2nd round pick. I am hoping now, in this year, we will see this young talent finally emerge at full strength, to show us the same talent he used to be as a dominating center at Wisconsin.

Connor Williams was not a road grader at guard. He also was being beat so many times that he held to avoid a sack. With my expectations that Tyler Smith at LG will be a hit as a roadgrader, a star in dominating the point of attack, and an expected spike in Biadascz's performance, I truly foresee a vast improvement in the OL and a running game which will not be controlled by opposing defenses.

Lastly, remember Jake Ferguson from Wisconsin. Somehow Wisconsin players seems to be better in the Pros. Jake can really catch the ball. He has an enormous football IQ. He is a smart and clutch player. He is much better receiver than Schultz was coming out of Stanford. Jake will make a significant contribution as a rookie.
This is true but you need the players. Not sure they have them.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Wow was it great back then! Even in the dark days of Landry's end, there was a pure roadgrader on the Cowboys' OL. He would blow open holes for Hershel Walker, which led to an NFC rushing championship in 1988. On plays where he was a pulling guard, defensive players would be blown away like a snowplower blows away snow.

He was the key run blocker for Emmitt Smith early in his career. He was a tough, strong dude, always ready to play, every game. Remember him, Nate Newton?

Then, Larry Allen joined in as starter in 1995, and Troy had double roadgraders. Wow, could those guys roadgrade, 1773 yards for Emmit and 25 rushing TD'S. Troy did not have to throw. That is why his passing stats are not so prolific. He had the OL to dominate.

I have seen what the Cowboys have seen in Tyler Smith, he is a road grader. He hurts the defenders. Even at his tender age, he has enormous NFL strength to open lanes for the Boys' RB's. He has been given advanced coaching attention.

Last years' OL performance was the worst I have seen in many years. Some young OLmen need several years of seasoning before they become very effective starters, like Doug Free. He sat behind Marco Colombo and learned the game, got stronger, developed instincts. Nowadays, we rush players onto the field too soon and coming from college they are not ready.

We were spoiled by T FRED who came from Wisconsin and was the best center we ever had from the outset. He was a generational Center talent. Biadascz is still a baby, still learning, getting stronger, and hopefully better. He had major operations to a hip and a shoulder, which obviously had compromised his strength. If not for those operations, he would have been a 2nd round pick. I am hoping now, in this year, we will see this young talent finally emerge at full strength, to show us the same talent he used to be as a dominating center at Wisconsin.

Connor Williams was not a road grader at guard. He also was being beat so many times that he held to avoid a sack. With my expectations that Tyler Smith at LG will be a hit as a roadgrader, a star in dominating the point of attack, and an expected spike in Biadascz's performance, I truly foresee a vast improvement in the OL and a running game which will not be controlled by opposing defenses.

Lastly, remember Jake Ferguson from Wisconsin. Somehow Wisconsin players seems to be better in the Pros. Jake can really catch the ball. He has an enormous football IQ. He is a smart and clutch player. He is much better receiver than Schultz was coming out of Stanford. Jake will make a significant contribution as a rookie.
I am concerned that the Oline is not good enough.
They have hardly any proven quality depth to speak of.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

A Toxic, Swiss Army Knife NT-rules mentality!

Thomas82

Reaction score

Good post!!

kskboys

Reaction score
We talked about this a couple months ago. We need to start drafting road graders instead of ballet dancers.

One of our biggest issues re this topic is a flawed draft philosophy. We are so intent on getting OL's who can block at the 2nd level that we ignore being able to block at the 1st level, the LOS. OL's who can do both are generally gone by the 3rd round. So, almost every OL we draft after round 1 has the same draft evaluation: "Must get stronger".

Now, that works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. Which leads us straight back to poor draft evaluations:

Any player has a limit as to just how strong/big they can get. In OL's, it's generally referred to as "core strength". In other words, Conner McGovern can only get so strong before he plateaus.

We appear to ignore "core strength" when drafting which is why our OL's keep getting owned at the LOS. The guys who dominate, Martin and Tyron, were 1st rounders who had both, strenth and movement skills. However, if all you do is draft OL's in the 1st round, you'll keep spinning your wheels due to weaknesses elsewhere. We absolutely must start drafting road graders. Because if you don't win at the first level, the LOS, the 2nd level just doesn't matter.

GMO415

Reaction score
Way to soon to call any of this. As for TC, I'll look past the shirt and shorts hype. Game 1 is what it's all about.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Yah, but then they hand the ball to Zeke. Ooops!!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They didn't spend 160M on a QB and 1st round picks on WR's for that type of offense and the OC is not that kind of OC.

The Niners and Eagles love to run the ball but even they don't road grade, they use schemes and matchups.

If a team is going to try and have that type of offense, they have to have a very stout D, especially against the run.

Both niners and Eagles have great lines. What the hell are you talking about?