What Dallas needs to do

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Here's the way I see it.

Every offense has a core from which to operate your offense as well as expand upon.
Generally, the core of your offense should be a proven and established method of advancing the ball for which your team has succeeded in the past.

Our core offense IMO?...

Significant involement from our Pro Bowl TE Witten in the passing game and relentless running from our speedy RB Jones, AROUND THE PERIMETER.

Why am I seeing little to none of either?

Many here seem to be ready to write off JJ as a one-hit-wonder and an underachiever but if you go back and watch the "Hotstepper" highlight video of JJ from last year, the majority of his big gains came on draw plays and runs to the outside. He is not a pound-between-the-Tackles runner. He is fast. He was and still is. But he requires a little to room to hit second gear and shoot around the edges or juke his way through the secondary. I have not seen one run to the outside this entire season.
Why?
In fact, I have seen him repeatedly sent up the gut to no avail, over and over again.
The only way that's gonna work is if you get the D to soften up.

How?
Jason Witten.
He's money.
Hands of gold.
He should be the primary target on 50-70% of our passing plays. Not the check down guy. He hasn't dropped a pass yet this season and rarely does. By using him more, you'll move the chains and free up Glenn and Key.

I have a few gripes about playing rookie RBs in close situations and not getting better pressure on the QB, etc. but the 2 afforementioned missing facets of our game are bewildering me to the ends of the Earth. They're basically how we were able to wrangle a few victories last season with a far less talented group.

Trust me guys.
Those of you throwing in the towel on JJ will snatch it back up as soon as one of these morons realizes JJ is not Jerome Bettis and should be given room to accelerate to the edges.
Unbelievable that we did not exploit OAKs oversized line and LBers by racing around them and instead played right into their strength by taking them head on.

btcutter

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Here's the way I see it.

Every offense has a core from which to operate your offense as well as expand upon.
Generally, the core of your offense should be a proven and established method of advancing the ball for which your team has succeeded in the past.

Our core offense IMO?...

Significant involement from our Pro Bowl TE Witten in the passing game and relentless running from our speedy RB Jones, AROUND THE PERIMETER.

Why am I seeing little to none of either?

Many here seem to be ready to write off JJ as a one-hit-wonder and an underachiever but if you go back and watch the "Hotstepper" highlight video of JJ from last year, the majority of his big gains came on draw plays and runs to the outside. He is not a pound-between-the-Tackles runner. He is fast. He was and still is. But he requires a little to room to hit second gear and shoot around the edges or juke his way through the secondary. I have not seen one run to the outside this entire season.
Why?
In fact, I have seen him repeatedly sent up the gut to no avail, over and over again.
The only way that's gonna work is if you get the D to soften up.

How?
Jason Witten.
He's money.
Hands of gold.
He should be the primary target on 50-70% of our passing plays. Not the check down guy. He hasn't dropped a pass yet this season and rarely does. By using him more, you'll free up Glenn and Key.

I have a few gripes about playing rookie RBs and not getting better pressure on the QB, etc. but the 2 afforementioned facets of our game are bewildering me to the ends of the Earth.

Trust me guys.
Those of you throwing in the towel on JJ will snatch it back up as soon as one of these morons realizes JJ is not Jerome Bettis and should be given room to accelerator to the edges.

It all sounds good but unless our OL decides it's going to create some holes for JJ, he ain't going anywhere. It's the OL that's the main problem. If that can be fixed, rest will take care of themselves.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
btcutter said:
It all sounds good but unless our OL decides it's going to create some holes for JJ, he ain't going anywhere. It's the OL that's the main problem. If that can be fixed, rest will take care of themselves.
You can't create holes if the defense never sees you run anywhere but inside.
The minute you start running outside, they will part slightly opening up the middle a bit.

Nonetheless, you don't run up the middle on a line the size of OAK, repeatedly. You're not going to win that match.

btcutter

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
You can't create holes if the defense never sees you run anywhere but inside.
The minute you start running outside, they will part slightly opening up the middle a bit.

Nonetheless, you don't run up the middle on a line the size of OAK, repeatedly. You're not going to win that match.

I remember one play that they try to sweep left with JJ. However, the OL left such a large gap that Warren Sapp (past his prime) shot through and toss JJ for lost of 4.
BTW, have you seen any holes over the last 4 games that allow JJ to dart through?? few and far between (too far).

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
btcutter said:
I remember one play that they try to sweep left with JJ. However, the OL left such a large gap that Warren Sapp (past his prime) shot through and toss JJ for lost of 4.
BTW, have you seen any holes over the last 4 games that allow JJ to dart through?? few and far between (too far).
True... there haven't been many.

More the reason to run off-Tackle if you ask me.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Special Teams has looked pretty poor as well.
I don't see Thompson ever being a homerun threat on returns.
I think Price should be returning kicks.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
We should be stretching the field early on to open up some running lanes. We also need to get the ball into Witten, JJ, and Glen's hands in the open field so they can do their thing.

We are so predictable it's sickning!

I think we start evey game with JJ off tackle right or left....here's an idea, let's try another play.........

Vman

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
...as soon as one of these morons realizes...

Well, from most of what I've read here this evening, the above quote is the main problem across the board with this offense.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Seems easy enough.

We morons here have realized it already...
why can't they?

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I watch too many Giants games, and the yare very similar. Run to the outside, juke, advance. And, (Especially In Julius case) run to the outside, set up your man, cut, and accelerate.

I have seen nore of that. Nothing that takes advantage of his abilities. Great vision (Draws), cuts( Counters) and speed (Sweeps, off tacklees). He has moderate power, but thats not his game, and it never will be. Therefore hell never be an up the gut runner.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th said:
I watch too many Giants games, and the yare very similar. Run to the outside, juke, advance. And, (Especially In Julius case) run to the outside, set up your man, cut, and accelerate.

I have seen nore of that. Nothing that takes advantage of his abilities. Great vision (Draws), cuts( Counters) and speed (Sweeps, off tacklees). He has moderate power, but thats not his game, and it never will be. Therefore hell never be an up the gut runner.
MB4,
You my friend are a very bright man...

I don't care what they say about you. :D

But seriously, I think you and I are eye to eye, here.

cowboy4life

"I Love Me Some Me." Hit The Bricks, *******. Team
Reaction score
Part of the problem may be that Bledsoe does not sell the handoff very well. What I mean by that is this: Last year, the Cowboys did a very good job in selling those delayed handoffs to Julius Jones. Vinnie was very good at those. Don't want Vinnie back, just an observation.

I totally agree about the play calling in regards to the running game. We need to take advantage of Jones' ability and quit trying to turn him into Eddie George. The plays that they call, sometimes I wonder if they remember that Anthony Thomas is inactive. I would love to see the Cowboys use a 4WR set and give it to Jones on a draw.

Westcoasthabsfan

Reaction score
How about score more points than the other team, which would be a good start dont you think