What did the Steelers Do to Contain Moss and Randle El

TD-33

Benched
Reaction score
And the kick off returns didn't always start the skins on the steeler's 40yrd line.

alancdc

Reaction score
l2obert;2403754 said:
And the kick off returns didn't always start the skins on the steeler's 40yrd line.

Very true point about our ST, but the Skins had incredible field position the entire 1st half. In fact, they were up 6-0 without gaining a first down.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
thewireman;2403650 said:
Unlike the Cowboys, the Steelers know how to tackle and they get to the player quick. If it was the Cowboys, the defender would either try to tackle 2 feet away from the player (long arm tackle), try to do a highlight hit and bounce off the player, try to tackle but somehow get butter fingers and let go of the player or simply not even try to tackle (Jenkins)

after the WR catches the ball, one of 2 things happens for the Cowboys:

a.) defensive back goes for shoulder pads and slides off the WR

or,

b.) WR makes a move, defensive back gets lost

dfense

Reaction score
Bull Frog;2403581 said:
Moss was questionable going into the game with a bad hammy. I thought he was on the bench for much of the game. I'm sure he'll be 100% when we play them and tear us up again.
He was on the bench alot. The Steelers also played their free safety 25 yards down field the whole game.

random Cs

Reaction score
Moss did not play a large amount of snaps, not that it would have mattered.

The Steelers rattled Campbell with their pressure and their CBs are solid in man coverage. When a QB is rattled, good coverage appears to be an iron blanket and the QB hesitates to throw the ball. Polamalu was also able to cover Randle El and James Thrash in single man coverage.

jimmy40

Reaction score
aikemirv;2403519 said:
5 catches between them for 36 yards.

Portis and Cooley had 7 and 8 respectively for 70 and 80 yards.

Is it all in the 7 sacks or what? Did they man up and press or what?

We really need to look at the secondary films of that game. Maybe it was more dependent on the pressure. When we played them we got near Campbell time after time only to have him slip away. Campbell rarely slipped away from the Steelers rush.

Better tackling and maintaining their lanes?

They made sure Moss was running on one leg

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Man to man they are more talented except for Ware, plus they have a tough as nails defensive mind-set and philosophy.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
aikemirv;2403519 said:

We really need to look at the secondary films of that game. Maybe it was more dependent on the pressure. When we played them we got near Campbell time after time only to have him slip away. Campbell rarely slipped away from the Steelers rush.

Its called having a dominant pass rush

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
We had one and then let off the throttle:bang2:

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Pretty simple. They put tremendous pressure on the QB and played overall great defense. Maybe we should try it.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
For a long time, I've noticed that our DBs and LBs normally wait on the offensive player before they attempt a tackle so they won't miss and give up a long gain. Other defenses, primarily Pittsburgh for this discussion, do not do this. They run to the offensive player with great speed and don't allow them to gain additional yards by waiting on them. In other words, they play very aggressive. Sure this will cause some missed tackles every now and then, but it doesn't allow offenses to pick you apart little by little.

magic-sword

Reaction score
aikemirv;2403519 said:

I was going to say get some film on that for the Cowboys but I forgot that Wade draws stick figures on an overhead projector to show how to run plays and gives hard copies from a mimeograph machine.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I think it is obvious that Campbell gets out of his comfort zone when he throws it more than 5 yards down the field. Why we didn't press the receivers last game is anyones guess.

aikemirv

Reaction score
dmq;2406552 said:
I think it is obvious that Campbell gets out of his comfort zone when he throws it more than 5 yards down the field. Why we didn't press the receivers last game is anyones guess.

I though he beat us deep a few times last game, at least 20-30 yards anyway.

It seems when we play off it sets us up to get beat deep - meaning that when we play 10 yards off and they show an out we have to bite hard on that out - when we bite that is when they go by us.

I cannot see on TV a lot of times what the secondary is doing. I would have guessed that they were playing tight coverage early so Campbell did not have an early read and then by the time the WR gets any seperation the rush was there. Thus all the dump offs to Portis and Cooley.

Someone said the FS was playing 25 yards deep - I can't see that - that is really what I was asking.

Our biggest failures in the first game against the Skins (in pass defense) were not bringing Campbell down when we got pressure and playing off the WR's. They are little guys. We need to get up and knock them off their routes. Take away those quick screens that they love to run.