What do the two Super Bowl coaches teach us ?

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Quite frankly, I think that both organizations have been extremely stable as far as coaching (seven years for Holmgren, 14 for Cowher) The Steelers are probably the most stable organization in football (Dan Rooney really knows how to run an NFL Franchise). Continuity is essential for the Cowboys to be consistent winners in this league. BP has set the foundation for , I believe long-term success for the Dallas Cowboys. He may not be here for the ultimate success (ring #6), but look at what he's accomplished

installed a young, talented defense
overhauled the scoting department with the hire of Jeff Ireland (no more Lacewell thank god.)
Most importantly expectations have risen to the point that we can, when healthy, conceivably compete with any team in the league.

I feel tis organization is headed in the right direction from the morass Parcells inherited.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
windward said:
Quite frankly, I think that both organizations have been extremely stable as far as coaching (seven years for Holmgren, 14 for Cowher) The Steelers are probably the most stable organization in football (Dan Rooney really knows how to run an NFL Franchise). Continuity is essential for the Cowboys to be consistent winners in this league. BP has set the foundation for , I believe long-term success for the Dallas Cowboys. He may not be here for the ultimate success (ring #6), but look at what he's accomplished

overhauled the scoting department with the hire of Jeff Ireland (no more Lacewell thank god.)
Most importantly expectations have risen to the point that we can, when healthy, conceivably compete with any team in the league.

I feel tis organization is headed in the right direction from the morass Parcells inherited.

I agree.

I also don't understand why Jerry Jones kept Lacewell around ofr so long. I know he had an ego and wanted to have a big part in draft day decisions, but seriously, how many ****ty drafts can you have before you opt for change

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
windward said:

Stability...That's always going to be a problem with Parcells here...Hell we just went through a will he leave or not situation just a few weeks ago.

Parcells will never be here for 14 years like Cowher....I doubt really that he's here for 7 like Holmgren.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
Stability...That's always going to be a problem with Parcells here...Hell we just went through a will he leave or not situation just a few weeks ago.

Parcells will never be here for 14 years like Cowher....I doubt really that he's here for 7 like Holmgren.

I agree but I do think Bill is laying a solid foundation for this team and I think he will be very involved in helping Jones bring in the next HC.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:

Yes, but what Parcells can do for us is to lay the groundwark, the infastructure of a successful organization. It will be up to Jerry to maintain the infastructure once BP leaves.

Remember, Cowher did not have to build the Steelers from scratch. Noll was the coach there for 22 seasons and while the Steelers in his last 10 years there did not match the success of the 1970's, they were always competitive. In 1984 they reached the AFC Championship against Miami and came within one point of knocking off the eventual AFC Champion Denver Broncos in 1989.

I'm not a Steelers fan (god forbid), but their organizational model is one I would like Dallas to model themselves after (along with the Pats)

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
I think looking at this year's Super Bowl coaches show us a few things and stability isn't at the top of the list.

They both seem to understand that deficiencies in offensive skill positions can be overcome if a team has a consistent offensive line scheme in place with the correct player skill sets to run it and QBs that can buy a little time on their own.

DipChit

Reaction score
I dont think it teaches us much of anything other than maybe it was just their "turn".

Cause it's not like we really learned anything from the previous SB coaches (aside from Belichick) over the last 7 or 8 years. Most all the SB losing coaches couldnt even get their teams to .500 the next year and none of the other winners like Gruden, Billick, or Vermeil have been back to the show or even close to it.

I dont mean to dis either of these teams cause they've done a good job this year but suffice it to say I sincerely doubt that whoever wins will be making it 2 straight next year.