What do we do about Gallup?

doomsday9084

Reaction score
According to "Over the Cap", cutting him pre-June 1 saves $800k. Post June 1 is a $9.5m savings.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/dallas-cowboys

Gallup's issue isn't that he is bad. I think he is fine in a receiver rotation. The issue is his cap is higher than his contribution. If he would be willing to drop his base salary from $8.5m to $4.5m next year, I would be happy if the team kept him for depth. Not sure if he thinks he could do better than that on the open market. Zeke thought he could . . .

Mark

Reaction score
Sad to see how far MG's stock has dropped the past couple of years...after so much promise.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It’s become very obvious that we don’t need him to be successful. I hope we trade him in the offseason for a mid round pick honestly
If Dak had seen him on the opening drive, we would have scored a TD instead of a field goal. That's the way it goes sometimes. The CB on him fell and Gallup put up his hand signaling that he was wide open. Dak was elsewhere in his progression, though, before coming back and throwing to Turpin for a first down. Funny thing is, I'm not sure Dak intended that for Turpin, who had to go up to get the pass. Gallup was coming back after running to the back of the end zone and his defender again tripped. If Turpin lets it go, the pass would have went right to Gallup.

It's obvious that on most plays we're looking to Lamb first and Cooks second, so there are not going to be a lot of opportunities for him. As long as we're moving down the field, it doesn't really matter. If teams show they can cover Lamb and Cooks and we fail to move the ball, then I'll become concerned about Gallup.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Gallup still provides depth and experience. We might need him, still a lot of football left to be played this season. A decision about him will be made in the off-season.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He will probably be a post June 1 cut. There is no way he’s trade-able with that contract. Cold truth.
Heres a link to the details of his contract: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/michael-gallup-25180/

He signed a 5 year, $57 million dollar contract in 2022, but only $27 mil is guaranteed. At the end of this season it appears he will have been paid nearly $25 mil. His cap hit would be lessened as a post June 1 cut.

Not 100% this will happen only because of how the Jones boys don’t like to admit their mistakes. But any normal NFL org would cut him and move on. We will see.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
It’s become very obvious that we don’t need him to be successful. I hope we trade him in the offseason for a mid round pick honestly
No one is going to trade for him for the same reasons that you want to trade him.

jrumann59

Reaction score
He is done,I don't know if its mental or the fact he was rushed back last year but he is not the same WR pre-ACL.

b0xZZ

Reaction score
Real shame man, Gallup was a real talent before the injury. Sad to see him being so unproductive. Part of it though is the emergence of players around him and that's not a bad thing.