CFZ What do we do now at QB?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Well, it seems that the majority of fans are not very inclined to see Dak play much more. Given the disgrace that was the 49ers game, it's a very understandable thought. Plus, given that Dak will only have one year left on his deal after this season, it's seems that Dak's time with the Cowboys has run it's course. For the record, I felt that his deal was good in the last one because I figured that he would be a stopgap while we fixed the offense, and I thought he still could develop. Maybe he can, but time is running out, and I don't think that extending him again is wise. Plus, Jerry was hesitant about extending him last time, so it's likely he won't again. Given that Dak has likely run his course, this begs the question. So, what do we do now at QB? I think there are three viable choices.

Bear in mind, there is a coaching variable to consider and the Jerry Jones variable. The coaching variable is important to consider because, if this season spirals out of control, Mike McCarthy is likely to get sacked. So, for the sake of this variable, I will assume that Dan Quinn will be the HC next year for these scenarios because of how Jerry has managed to keep him here and how much he listens to him. I'm also assuming that Jerry gives Mike the whole season, but DQ is likely interim coach if Mike gets sacked going into the bye week. So, here are the three choices/scenarios, as I see them.

1. Dak plays out the rest of the season, the Cowboys cut Dak with a 1 June cut, and the Cowboys draft a QB. This situation is risky because, not only are you splitting Dak's guaranteed money into two years, but you are also entering the season with an unproven option. I think this scenario only really works if the bottom falls out on the Cowboys, and it's clear that Dak is no longer an option. Thus, the Cowboys would be drafting top 15 where a day one starter is possibly available. However, as stated with the unproven issue, you'd have that QB, Rush, and Lance.
  2. Dak plays out this season, doesn't get cut, Cowboys draft a QB: in this situation, which is my preferred of the three, the Cowboys would allow Dak one more year to start, but we would have a rookie waiting in the wings competing with Lance. While they are competing and developing, Dak would be allowed to finish his tenure, and then the Cowboys can reap a comp pick when he goes to another team who would need a stop gap option. The only real downsides to this is that 1. Cooper Rush is likely out due to numbers, and 2. The contracts. However, given the salary cap increases, this is likely not a huge factor, especially given that Jerry seldom uses it for FAs, and we have 2 major contracts that would need to start being negotiated this offseason.
  3. Trey Lance starts the Giants game, and then a determination with Dak is made after the season. This scenario is my second preference. If it's clear that Dak cannot go on, then I think Lance would be someone that the Cowboys may opt to see what he is capable of. I wouldn't start him against the Chargers, Rams, or Eagles because I wouldn't want to wreck the confidence of a young QB who hasn't played in nearly a year. Instead, the Giants, Panthers, and Commanders are a good first three games for Lance to get his playing legs under him while taking on opponents that we should be able to beat rather easily. Then, we see how he goes. Essentially, he'd be Bledsoeing Dak. Then, a determination is made with Dak depending on how Lance does. If it looks like Lance needs some more developing but is good, then scenario 1 likely applies where they cut Dak, and let Lance compete with a rookie knowing we also could have traded capital with Lance. If Lance isn't very good, then the Cowboys either part ways with him and draft a QB (while keeping Dak for one more year) or they give him a chance to compete with a rookie (essentially, scenario 2). If he's not very good, then I think we either try to trade him or cut him. Then, let the roster next year at QB be Dak, Rush, and QB X. This allows the rookie to develop and be eased into the offense, much like Mahomes was with Alex Smith as the starting QB.
To me, I think scenarios two and three are the best. I think the best thing is if Dak doesn't completely collapse because then we can try to develop a QB (Lance and QB X). For me, since you must have a replacement if you're going to demand a change, I would like either Ewers from Texas or (https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/positions/QB/1/2024) Michael Pennix from Washington to be QB X. I think either would be a legitimate QB option for us regardless of where we likely draft, but we also would have the luxury of not having to start them straight away. Of course, this heavily depends on who the OC ends up being. These are the scenarios that I see from where we are right now. It's unfortunate that it seems that it's come to this, but every player is replaceable. Also, players do run their course with a team.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Really you’re gonna start another post about Prescott when there’s about 14 of them already and somehow we keep skipping over the fact that Prescott is not the reason we lost that game or the Arizona game I mean seriously are you guys all delusional what kind of medicine are you guys on did you not see how truly poor defense played in the fact that we had no one game and are running back from the football while the game was actually still in hand that’s the three reasons including the ski being a board that we lost the football game did you get a penalty his fifth game talk about the quarterback finally getting frustrated enough that there’s no one open the door to your play one dimensional football I’m getting no support no one open what exactly do you think the quarterback should’ve been able to do in that game you really think it’s three interceptions last game the game is already Ativan he got frustrated and first of all because there was no way to actually do it the same at the end of the Arizona game or four minutes interceptions this year Kim when the games are pretty much all but settled and why were they set up the app and then stopping or even slowing down anyone
I’m getting no support no one open what exactly do you think the quarterback should’ve been able to do in that game you really big is three interceptions last game the game is already Ativan he got frustrated and first of all because there was nowhere to actually grow it the same at the end of the Arizona game or four minutes interceptions this year came when the games were pretty much all but settled and why were they set up the app and Vicky Dobbs wasn’t stopping or even slowing down anyone
Are we gonna gloss over the fact that we had three offensive lineman promo offensive lineman missing in the Arizona game and a bunch of penalties and nobody was getting open this is common theme in the Latin pig defense doesn’t blow the app and sublime doesn’t play well not getting open there a bigger problems in quarterback and nothing you said about the poly gonna happen plus cats not getting cut at June 1 that’s still about I don’t know off the top of my head $39 million you think you’re gonna eat to watch watches franchise go down the toilet for the next three years trying to find a quarterback?

Some people in here to help big-time problems cause I think what they saw at the end of that game is holding remember those interceptions but nothing to the final score of that game that outcome was gonna be the same he was already quite out of hand that was some terrible things happening so let me get this straight you want to give me to Prescott winery why don’t we trade Micah Parsons and cd lamb instead of paying them because they’re not doing anything either we should not pay them literally trade them now like after the season and use that capital to go get your quarterback and let’s blow this mother up yeah let’s blow this mother sucker up right now that’s what you say it when you want to get rid of Prescott is no magic pill defined a quarterback at the giant *** the commanders ????????!!!!

Can you figure out how to solve the quarterback position just for deciding to get rid of their top 10 starter because the rest of the fan base is tired of seeing them guess what you’re not the owner you’re not the GM and you’re not the coach you’re not the schedule or any capacity have any football say you wanna be tired are you up to Scott’s gonna come back he’s playing in 2024 unless there’s some crazy thing happened and he forces his way out and accept the Trade
Can you figure out how to solve the quarterback position just by deciding to get rid of their top 10 starter because the rest of the Fanbase is tired of seeing them guess what you’re not the owner you’re not the GM and you’re not the coach you’re not a scam or any capacity have any football say you wanna be tired are you up to Scott’s gonna come back he’s playing in 2024 unless there’s some crazy thing happens and he forces his way out and accept the trade

There is no reason at three and two as a record for all these discussions to be happening because those two boxes were not on the quarterback is playing to see if the Saint Bernard no one game plan is often Zipline know how people getting open penalties what happen in the last few 49er games acceptance time did you guys join the ladies club against the 49ers

Gonna say you could’ve just put any of this under somebody else’s Prescott hate that because right now everybody’s waiting on the things that resolve any issues getting rid of the quarterback because he’s the one that sent out holding the team back you guys are huge problems and you all might need to see optometrist and psychiatrist and adjust your medicineS.

Do I think you can rent I got some rats to that was a big waste of space for you to post since you guys don’t make the decisions neither does the media you have no say in this Jerry Jones just gonna open cup of coffee and we’re gonna end up like the New York Jets or the other teams I can’t find quarterbacks were gonna slip out of the top five or top 10 and then jump in the bottom 16 how about that would that make everyone happy. Do I think you can read I got some rants to that was a big waste of space for you to post since you guys don’t make the decisions neither does the media you are not saying this Jerry Jones just gonna hop in the Prescott and we’re gonna end up like the New York Jets or the other teams I can’t find quarterbacks were gonna slip out of the top five or top 10 and then jump in the bottom 16 how about that would that make everyone happy !???!?!!?!?

blueblood70

Reaction score
You thought I was done now I want to give you a big sarcastic thank you for starting another Prescott hate tread. No problem I mean Dr. Dave is actually in entire thread just for Prescott and then you guys are starting new ones I think the rule should now be they have that third open if you’re gonna have negative things to say about the quarterback he can only post their time but I’m glad you’re on the heat fan club because I’m glad I hope they keep him till 2025 just to make you miserable

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
You thought I was done now I want to give you a big sarcastic thank you for starting another Prescott hate tread. No problem I mean Dr. Dave is actually in entire thread just for Prescott and then you guys are starting new ones I think the rule should now be they have that third open if you’re gonna have negative things to say about the quarterback he can only post their time but I’m glad you’re on the heat fan club because I’m glad I hope they keep him till 2025 just to make you miserable

I wouldn't be miserable either way. I'm simply stating what I see as the scenarios, if Dak is to be replaced. It hurts me to say that Dak may have run his course. I don't know if it's the case or not, but, if it is, scenarios must be considered. Not to mention how upset Parsons seemed to be after last year, and Lamb seemed furious after the game. Plus, I'm not sure how Jerry can justify paying Dak $45+ mil. So, based on what those that want Dak gone for sure and based on what I've analysed with Dak, I was sharing my analysis.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You support him and not with a playtex living bra...at Victoria's Secrets.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Really you’re gonna start another post about Prescott when there’s about 14 of them already and somehow we keep skipping over the fact that Prescott is not the reason we lost that game or the Arizona game I mean seriously are you guys all delusional what kind of medicine are you guys on did you not see how truly poor defense played in the fact that we had no one game and are running back from the football while the game was actually still in hand that’s the three reasons including the ski being a board that we lost the football game did you get a penalty his fifth game talk about the quarterback finally getting frustrated enough that there’s no one open the door to your play one dimensional football I’m getting no support no one open what exactly do you think the quarterback should’ve been able to do in that game you really think it’s three interceptions last game the game is already Ativan he got frustrated and first of all because there was no way to actually do it the same at the end of the Arizona game or four minutes interceptions this year Kim when the games are pretty much all but settled and why were they set up the app and then stopping or even slowing down anyone
I’m getting no support no one open what exactly do you think the quarterback should’ve been able to do in that game you really big is three interceptions last game the game is already Ativan he got frustrated and first of all because there was nowhere to actually grow it the same at the end of the Arizona game or four minutes interceptions this year came when the games were pretty much all but settled and why were they set up the app and Vicky Dobbs wasn’t stopping or even slowing down anyone
Are we gonna gloss over the fact that we had three offensive lineman promo offensive lineman missing in the Arizona game and a bunch of penalties and nobody was getting open this is common theme in the Latin pig defense doesn’t blow the app and sublime doesn’t play well not getting open there a bigger problems in quarterback and nothing you said about the poly gonna happen plus cats not getting cut at June 1 that’s still about I don’t know off the top of my head $39 million you think you’re gonna eat to watch watches franchise go down the toilet for the next three years trying to find a quarterback?

Some people in here to help big-time problems cause I think what they saw at the end of that game is holding remember those interceptions but nothing to the final score of that game that outcome was gonna be the same he was already quite out of hand that was some terrible things happening so let me get this straight you want to give me to Prescott winery why don’t we trade Micah Parsons and cd lamb instead of paying them because they’re not doing anything either we should not pay them literally trade them now like after the season and use that capital to go get your quarterback and let’s blow this mother up yeah let’s blow this mother sucker up right now that’s what you say it when you want to get rid of Prescott is no magic pill defined a quarterback at the giant *** the commanders ????????!!!!

Can you figure out how to solve the quarterback position just for deciding to get rid of their top 10 starter because the rest of the fan base is tired of seeing them guess what you’re not the owner you’re not the GM and you’re not the coach you’re not the schedule or any capacity have any football say you wanna be tired are you up to Scott’s gonna come back he’s playing in 2024 unless there’s some crazy thing happened and he forces his way out and accept the Trade
Can you figure out how to solve the quarterback position just by deciding to get rid of their top 10 starter because the rest of the Fanbase is tired of seeing them guess what you’re not the owner you’re not the GM and you’re not the coach you’re not a scam or any capacity have any football say you wanna be tired are you up to Scott’s gonna come back he’s playing in 2024 unless there’s some crazy thing happens and he forces his way out and accept the trade

There is no reason at three and two as a record for all these discussions to be happening because those two boxes were not on the quarterback is playing to see if the Saint Bernard no one game plan is often Zipline know how people getting open penalties what happen in the last few 49er games acceptance time did you guys join the ladies club against the 49ers

Gonna say you could’ve just put any of this under somebody else’s Prescott hate that because right now everybody’s waiting on the things that resolve any issues getting rid of the quarterback because he’s the one that sent out holding the team back you guys are huge problems and you all might need to see optometrist and psychiatrist and adjust your medicineS.

Do I think you can rent I got some rats to that was a big waste of space for you to post since you guys don’t make the decisions neither does the media you have no say in this Jerry Jones just gonna open cup of coffee and we’re gonna end up like the New York Jets or the other teams I can’t find quarterbacks were gonna slip out of the top five or top 10 and then jump in the bottom 16 how about that would that make everyone happy. Do I think you can read I got some rants to that was a big waste of space for you to post since you guys don’t make the decisions neither does the media you are not saying this Jerry Jones just gonna hop in the Prescott and we’re gonna end up like the New York Jets or the other teams I can’t find quarterbacks were gonna slip out of the top five or top 10 and then jump in the bottom 16 how about that would that make everyone happy !???!?!!?!?

Firstly, during the season, I typically try to post a thread every day. Secondly, I don't post many Dak threads when you look at the various threads I open. If anything, I've been one of the most vocal supporters of Dak. I know it wasn't entirely Dak's fault, but my goodness, when you look at the QB market, extending Dak likely means a massive contract. I'm not sure that $50mil+ for a QB that's about 30 is a wise move given the circumstances. So, maybe it is time to see what other options might be available.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Inform Dak he is done as starter after the season and see if he will waive the no trade clause. Would you trade Dak for Russel Wilson?

(I wouldn't but Sean Payton would)

blueblood70

Reaction score
I wouldn't be miserable either way. I'm simply stating what I see as the scenarios, if Dak is to be replaced. It hurts me to say that Dak may have run his course. I don't know if it's the case or not, but, if it is, scenarios must be considered. Not to mention how upset Parsons seemed to be after last year, and Lamb seemed furious after the game. Plus, I'm not sure how Jerry can justify paying Dak $45+ mil. So, based on what those that want Dak gone for sure and based on what I've analysed with Dak, I was sharing my analysis.
Hey Dan about 10 other threads already there’s a Kyler Murray thread all about that there’s all kinds of Dak Prescott threads I mean you can go find them anywhere they’re already analyzing it they’re already coming up with the dumbest scenarios ever for names that should replace Prescott or how easy it’s probably gonna be but you think because a couple players are upset at the quarterback you know AJ Brown yelling at Jalen hurts couple weeks ago happens over the NFL Parsons and lamb got a problem but I want to look in the mirror CeeDee Lamb go in half speed half the game start a reminded me of a merry Cooper and you have potions healing play well at all in the two losses he look like he was playing hero ball it was sex or nothing he just wants pressures and sacks.

I don’t care if the media and fan base and any other critics are upset at Prescott got any real football people can go break down those games for real not the scripted nonsense nothing hyperbole emotional ridiculous responses cause I saw three interceptions at the end of the game and that’s all they remember no that’s not how the game went real football people no the email Patrick Mahomes would’ve lost those two games there was nothing there was nobody to talk to that was no one game they were being pressured all game did even play bad and they were penalties I mean we’re talking about Tony Pollard‘s fumbler and his ineffectiveness being used away he’s used we don’t need to keep talking about Prescott does toolboxes were total team obliterated failures and 45 million Aydelott go look at Daniel Jones in about 10 other quarterbacks and they close to the same money they’re not doing much better

I can tell you this when those two games were still early and while the games are getting away from us Prescott had nothing to do with the losses he didn’t throw his interception so the games were all but decided that’s a fact that’s all people remember that because he didn’t get me a hero and bring us that are you kidding me did you watch the game you’re sending is not gonna work the salary Kaep the lack of good quarterbacks the dead cap money all that it’s going to factor in him being here probably another season we’re talking about all the 2024 I don’t care if Panza media believe otherwise I watch the last two games that we lost I watch the playoff games and I saw a lot of other issues what just on the quarterback

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  1. Dak plays out the rest of the season, the Cowboys cut Dak with a 1 June cut, and the Cowboys draft a QB.
The sooner he is gone the better. Hopefully Dak will agree to waive his no trade clause and the Cowboys can find a team to trade him too. There are enough good QB's in next Aprils draft that they can get one without giving up the farm. Lance is the wild card. Will he be ready for next year? Is he a NFL QB?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Now, that was a hell of a discussion there....think?

Streifenkarl

Reaction score

You are literally the worst homer. Reading that was more painful than watching the game lol. In case you guys haven't noticed. The idea that we should continue with Dak because no one has a better plan is the biggest argument against him.

Nothing has to be "solved" here as going with either Rush or Lance wouldn't make a difference. Man I can't wait for you guys using our next wins as "proof" that Dak is a great QB again.

Last edited: