What do you expect of the Cowboys after beating Atlanta?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not expect anything going forward, but improvement in all all 3 phases, actually make it 4 phases.

Offense, will get even better, especially when Smith and Collins return. As they still need to gel some. NE moved the ball decently on Seattle last night, and even they had some questionable play calls that seemed dumb at the time. Need to stop the sloppy play, and hold onto the balls. Normally they do, but that 1st quarter was horrible.

Defense, is in shambles. However, I watched parts of just about all the games. There is some bad defense going on out there right now. In both games the defense played better in the 2nd half. We lack playmakers still, and injuries hurts it even more. They have issues. Bengals defense looks bad, and NE's last night looked as bad as us at times. I know Wilson is good, but NE's defense just as bad. I still have concerns Wilson will light us up. Hopefully they improve a lot this week.

ST's, have improved it seems. However, Pollard needs to be rung in a bit. Taking it from 5 and 8 yards deep in the end zone. Just is dumb most of the time. 2 yards, I am ok with.
I have not noticed though if the punt and KO coverage teams and return teams have improved. They seem to have, but by how much

4th phase, coaching, MM is having some bad decisions these 1st 2 games. I expect that to improve also. Or choose better timing. Moore needs to get better and stop trying to be cute, with stupid plays at the wrong time. Nolan needs to stop stupid blitzes on 3rd downs.

So right now, I just expect a gradual improvement, just as I did from the start. However I did expect the defense to be better than it has been. It may take a while longer.

Do I expect to win at Seattle. No, but I do expect improvement. Contain Wilson, we have a chance. However who will contain him. Not the way the DL has played so far.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Could propel them to win the Least which gets them into the playoffs. Without drastic improvement between now & then they will get humiliated.

Until they show consistent competency in all three phases, all today means is they were gifted a win by an even more inept team.

John813

Reaction score
Ah, took till the end of page 2/ start of three too finally get the hint.

Naruto

Reaction score
The same it's been the last 10 years. I'm withholding judgement until we play a handful of winning teams

Garrett won these games all the time too. It's what 8-8 teams do

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I expect the same thing as I did before the game whether we lost to Atlanta or not...we’ll win the NFCE and most likely the Super Bowl.

9976-koolaidman.jpg

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
this game changed nothing for me today on the outlook of the team or the season.

I will add my hatred of certain people has gone through the roof today seeing the images in the parking lot and in the stands today.

I agree. All this game showed me was the Moore was more than capable of learning from his mistake of the first week where under Garrett he couldn't.

-Defense is still bad
-Oline is still in shambles
-MM still completely bumbled the big decisions in the game.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The defense is going to be a problem.

We have no depth at linebacker (I’m not holding my breath on LVE or Lee) and one of our starter’s (Jaylon) is an absolute liability.

BigD_95

Reaction score
I’m not sure how this season will turn out, but we deserve to win a game we should have lost rather than letting a lead slip away and lose a game. We were due for a reversal of fortunes.

MM made some gutsy calls, some questionable calls and maybe some ill advised calls, but I think he is a bit rusty too after a lay-off. The good part about his aggressive nature is that can rub off on the players and instill confidence. I still think he is an improvement over Garrett and co.

The defense has sucked. I think some of it is not knowing the players. I think we will see the defense improve to around middle of the pack.

The OL was satisfactory today, even with the top 3 OT out. When they come back, we should expect better line play. I expect Williams to get moved to a different position or benched.

The DL is problematic. I think we have enough talent at DE. We do not have enough quality at DT. It sure would be nice to trade for a stud DT on an expiring contract for a late round pick.

I expect us to win the NFCE going away. The Giants should be “done”. The Skins can’t generate any offense. The Eagles—well they are all over the map —so they could turn it around.

This win today, whether earned or not, can be a huge confidence builder for this team. I think you will see the defense play MUCH better rushing the passer and maybe go to a full 3-4 front when Gregory returns. Gregory and Smith can be monsters at OLB.

There MUST be a plan for Crawford, but currently, I just don’t see it. DE in a 3-4?

If we can stay healthy, we have as good of a chance as anyone. We just need to get the defense up to average and get the offense rolling.

couple things:

Stop saying if Cowboys deserved to win. They did. They were the better team just made those 3 turnovers to start the game that put them behind

The defense did not suck. 3 turnovers & 2 failed punt fakes put their backs against the wall. Not to mention the BS PI call on Diggs. Atlanta has a top offense. You cant give them all those breaks. Now the defense needs work. I agree. Mostly its pass rush issues. They need to blitz more and get pressure up the middle. DLaw can at least attempt to earn his salary. But this is an entire new defensive system with all new coaches. This will be a work in progress.

One bright note about the D is they seem to play better late in games. Like the coaches make the right adjustments. Get stops when needed late. Last several season we could never get stops at the end of games.