What do you think about the Jalen Tolbert pick

jrumann59

Reaction score
I guess a 3rd rounder that plays against lesser talent is OK at this point :rolleyes:

Verdammung

Reaction score
Best thing I saw was him running after the catch. He scored a 68 yard TD against Tennessee running past defenders & sustaining distance. He was also a high-volume target receiver; watched three games & he caught 25 receptions between them. Versatile; played both X & Y with some Z sprinkled in. Had some success avoiding initial press contact. Seems to be on the same page as his QB at times; will look covered & then the next thing you know he's catching the ball where only he can catch it.

Don't agree with all the praise he's been given. I wouldn't say he's a stiff route runner, but I didn't see the same quickness other route runners have. I thought he struggled with contact as a route runner. 50/50 balls are 50/50 balls. I've seen him make difficult catches & made his life hard at times, but I saw multiple drops.

It may just be his body, 6'2" 193 lbs, but I think he might be a Cedrick Wilson clone. Cedrick Wilson made it to his second contract and was a key contributor for us last season, but was also a 6th round pick that they weren't willing to pay, so take that for what you will.

I guess I'm okay with it at this pick; I can't exactly tell you what other receiver I'd have taken because almost all of them were drafted before we picked in the 2nd round. What's concerning is how on the Draft Show, they were talking about how he was a consideration at pick #56; that would've been a reach for me.

Sidenote, he always wore a long sock on one leg & not the other. This makes him super easy to spot on the field, which is a first-round worthy trait.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I think he's a walk-in starter due to MG's rehab. Glad he can play all the receiver spots cause #88 likes the slot position seems like.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
The smooth route runner rewrote the South Alabama record book with 178 career receptions for 3,140 yards and 22 touchdowns. He measured 6-1 and 194 pounds at the NFL combine, timing at 4.49 seconds in the 40-yard dash with a 36-inch vertical.

Any question Tolbert had about the Cowboys’ interest was removed when Prescott called.

“We talked about my previous relationships with my quarterbacks,” Tolbert said. “We talked about my strengths on and off the field. We talked about what challenges I had to overcome. Dak was asking me if he could put me at X by myself on 3x1 or if I could go to the slot in between CeeDee [Lamb] and Michael [Gallup]. All of it. We just talked.”

Lamb, Gallup and Tolbert, James Washington and Noah Brown project as the Cowboys’ top wide receivers in 2022. Gallup likely won’t be available when the season begins because of February surgery for a torn ACL.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Yep, great pick, solidifying our deep WR corp with tall reciver. If nothing else he'll stretch the defense....and may allow CeeDee to play a bit more slot (which helps his best attribute ... YAC).

Carter

Reaction score
Great Pick. Day 2 was really good. I thought Williams might be available in the third but its hard to ignore his production in a powerhouse conference. If he gets his head right he could be good value.

Tolbert was really good value.