What does a hybrid offense look like from last year to West Coast

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
A hybrid defense is obviously easy to figure out because it’s more personnel based but what does a hybrid of Moore/Garrett vertical attack look like with West Coast?

More drag routes/slants with verticals in behind?

How’s the run game a hybrid with MM confirming there will be a zone blocking scheme?

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It’ll be fun to find out. My first inclination is it will be tough to defend, if only for the reason that no one’s seen it.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
giphy.gif

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
I thought what he said was that it was the same terminology but the WCO. So Kellen will have to learn new plays it sounds like to me. I would expect to see a dressed up MM offense with more movement pre snap.

nobody

Reaction score
I thought what he said was that it was the same terminology but the WCO. So Kellen will have to learn new plays it sounds like to me. I would expect to see a dressed up MM offense with more movement pre snap.

That's how I read it. Keeping the terminology was ONLY to make it easier for the players and Moore and communications. All the rest is MM's system.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Its designed to stretch the field horizontally. It uses a lot short quick passes in place of a running game. Meaning we should see more rub routes, more WR screens, and passes to the RB on the flat. There should be more drags and slants as well. The WCO puts more emphases on run after the catch and route combinations. There will be a lot of one read pass plays were the other recievers aren't running routes ( they'll never present themselves to the QB as a target ). They'll run clear outs or run to their individual blocking assignments.

Garrett ran a timing and option system. Timing is where the QB isn't throwing to the reciever, he was throwing it to a spot on the field. The WR/ QB options were rwad play. If the defensive player is playing you inside run a quick out. If he's playing you deep run a hook route. In the huddle the QB would say Y-check. That just means lets line-up then the QB will signal to the Y receiver what route he should run, based off his pre-snap read.

But in todays pass happy NFL all offenses incorporate a little of all the other offenses plays and schemes into their mix. So the lines between this offense and that offense don't really exist anymore. Its more about play calling. The Cowboys had all of the WestCoast style plays in their playbook. But they didn't call those plays probably because they didn't even practice them. Because as we all know you call what you practice.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I expect they will want to exploit those passes that have a higher percentage of success as far as completions go and allow the team to keep the chains moving. I expect a more evolved screen game and the tight ends actually being used.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
We need 3 track stars for it to work then

Hill certainly helps. I am just saying that is the model. Reid is/was a WC offense guy that has baked in RPO stuff. He is just a really good offensive mind. I think McCarthy is very similar and when he talks about blending new with old it has to look like KC. Dallas has good speed on offense and Dak is a strong, sturdy runner. They don’t have Kelce that’s for sure. He is a beast. I do think the Dallas WRs are good runners with the football so they should be fine. Zeke needs to grow up and come into next season in shape. He needs to drop at least 15 pounds and work on his speed. If he does that is an element KC does not have.

I firmly believe the comp with be KC.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
With Kellen calling plays he may not be a full WCO unless MM can school Kellen real fast.......which I guess is possible

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A hybrid defense is obviously easy to figure out because it’s more personnel based but what does a hybrid of Moore/Garrett vertical attack look like with West Coast?

How’s the run game a hybrid with MM confirming there will be a zone blocking scheme?

Did McCarthy confirm they'll use a Zone Running Scheme?

I'm very interested to see those comments. It is a critical issue, IMO.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

All modern offenses use some concepts from both.

Back in the eighties passing offenses were less complex and teams tended to be all Bill Walsh or all Coryell.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
I've always thought the simplest way to differentiate the 2 system philosophies is that the Air Coryell attacks vertically while the WC attacks horizontally. Any other wrinkle is coach centric.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

Dallas ran alot of the elements the WCO has last yr. Not going to see much of a big difference from what they run this yr to last yr except maybe more inside running with Elliot and a gap blocking scheme.

If McCarthy was being truthful about him reinventing his style id like to see more of the successful quick hit passing plays teams carve this defense up with.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Watch the KC Chiefs. That’s it.

.... that’s not gonna fit here. Dak isn’t capable of putting up points like Mahomes. We need a run based offense. Like the Titans. That’s who we need to follow IMO. That’s how this team is going to be built.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
.... that’s not gonna fit here. Dak isn’t capable of putting up points like Mahomes. We need a run based offense. Like the Titans. That’s who we need to follow IMO. That’s how this team is going to be built.

Run based?

They shouldn’t have hired McCarthy then. Why does Dak have to be Mahomes? Nobody is Mahomes. In fact, talent wise, few in the history of the league have had Mahomes’ ability.

Look at Dak’s stats this year. Best season he has had. Now he will have a real coaching staff. He will be more than fine.