What does Pre-Season say in Todays NFL?

Champsheart

Reaction score
I was just thinking about how different Pre-Season Football has become.

It was not that long ago that a blitz in the Pre-Season was never seen. Actually I am not even sure it was allowed.

Coaches seemed very boring in their play calling, and the approach seemed to be to evaluate, and do not show anything to future opponents.

Now Parcells is no doubt of that old school, but many other teams seem to be taking a very different approach.

I have seen plenty of games so far, and many teams really do not seem to be holding back, especially on the defensive side of the ball. I am seeing all kinds of stunts, blitzes, shifts, etc.. Some teams really seem to be taking a more aggrssive approach to these Pre-Season games. Just things you did not see in years past.

So I guess I would have 2 questions that I would really like to hear opinions on.

1 - Which approach is better? Don't worry about hiding anything, set a tone and practice it, or never show your hand?

2 - How much is this scewing what we are seeing from teams, and what they are? It has always been tough to see what teams are in the Pre-Season, but is it even more difficult now because teams really seem to have such different goals in the Pre-Season?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. Depends on the HC and his own personal agenda. To say one approach is better than another may not apply to all HC's.

2. It's 100% screwing what we are seeing from teams. But remember - it just doesn't matter. It's preseason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

StevenOtero

Reaction score
It is just pre-season. That record doesn't get you to the post season. It is for evaluating and working out kinks and all that. If Parcells made aggresive calls in pre-season "remember your pre-season record doesn't get you to the post season." Someone could get seriously hurt. He knows what hes doing. So lets just wait for the regular season to come. Before we jump on the Bledsoe sucks wagon. Or etc. Please wait.

You are entitiled to your opinion. But still use some common sense. :)

parchy

Reaction score
I don't think it makes a difference if a team tries to win in the preseason (Panthers) or not. It doesn't translate either way.

Champsheart

Reaction score
otero1 said:
It is just pre-season. That record doesn't get you to the post season. It is for evaluating and working out kinks and all that. If Parcells made aggresive calls in pre-season "remember your pre-season record doesn't get you to the post season." Someone could get seriously hurt. He knows what hes doing. So lets just wait for the regular season to come. Before we jump on the Bledsoe sucks wagon. Or etc. Please wait.

You are entitiled to your opinion. But still use some common sense. :)

Dang man where the heck did all this come from?

Relax, this post has nothing to do with Bledsoe or going to the Post-Season.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Just once I'd like to see a pre season game where we tried every gamble. Kickoffs were all onside attempts, no punts, 2 point conversion attempts.

It'll never happen but I'd love to see it.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
To be honest, the Dallas-Arizona exhibition game has been the worst one I've seen so far this pre-season. I've seen many more exhibition games this year between satellite and the NFL network and found a few of them to be pretty good all the way to the end. No 3rd and 50s, etc.

With that said, I can't wait for tomorrow night!!!

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Ladies and Gents I just flat out disagree with those who say "it's just pre-season," "it doesn't count," "or, "it doesn't mean anything." Katy bar the door if coaches took pre-season as lightly as some fans do.

I still don't know why fans view pre-season as "not counting!" I assume they mean it doesn't count toward the 16-game regular season; nor toward the post season playoffs. But indirectly it can, and does count; especially when it comes to maintaining healthy players, and finding the right players to carry on the roster.

From a Coaches Perspective ...timing, player qualification, the winning spirit/momentum, and conditioning for regular season speed of the game.

From a Players Perspective ...making the team, learning plays, routes, timing getting a contract ($)!

From a Management Perspective ...obtaining the best bang for the buck($)!

From a Fan's Perspective ...tell me it doesn't feel good when your team wins a pre-season game! Or when your team Loses it doesn't feel bad! That's Because it does count ...in more ways than one!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Phoenix-Talon said:
Ladies and Gents I just flat out disagree with those who say "it's just pre-season," "it doesn't count," "or, "it doesn't mean anything."
Well I suppose if we had a empty trophy case we would take a W any way we could also. :rolleyes:

jimmy40

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
Ladies and Gents I just flat out disagree with those who say "it's just pre-season," "it doesn't count," "or, "it doesn't mean anything." Katy bar the door if coaches took pre-season as lightly as some fans do.

I still don't know why fans view pre-season as "not counting!" I assume they mean it doesn't count toward the 16-game regular season; nor toward the post season playoffs. But indirectly it can, and does count; especially when it comes to maintaining healthy players, and finding the right players to carry on the roster.

From a Coaches Perspective ...timing, player qualification, the winning spirit/momentum, and conditioning for regular season speed of the game.

From a Players Perspective ...making the team, learning plays, routes, timing getting a contract ($)!

From a Management Perspective ...obtaining the best bang for the buck($)!

From a Fan's Perspective ...tell me it doesn't feel good when your team wins a pre-season game! Or when your team Loses it doesn't feel bad! That's Because it does count ...in more ways than one!
Preseason games never mean anything when you lose. Just wait and see what happens if we win tomorrow, we'll be Super Bowl contenders and no doubt win the East.

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Well I suppose if we had a empty trophy case we would take a W any way we could also. :rolleyes:

yeah....what he said :D

Irving Cowboy

The Chief
Reaction score
Champsheart said:
It was not that long ago that a blitz in the Pre-Season was never seen. Actually I am not even sure it was allowed.
Blitzes have always been allowed in preseason... they are not allowed in the Pro Bowl.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
Preseason games never mean anything when you lose. Just wait and see what happens if we win tomorrow, we'll be Super Bowl contenders and no doubt win the East.

Right -- I Get your Point!

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:

Nice smack talk bdc, (old, but nice). That's alright, you were probably too busy cleaning several long years of thick dust out of that trophy case of yours to notice that you completely forgot to address the issue (cough, cough).:rolleyes:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Phoenix-Talon said:
That's alright, you were probably too busy cleaning several long years of thick dust out of that trophy case of yours to notice that you completely forgot to address the issue (cough, cough).:rolleyes:
Ummmmmmmmmmm........not really.