What exactly could Smith bring to the LB spot?

Scotman

Reaction score
I don't watch college ball, so all I've ever seen are highlight reels.

No prognostications about the probability of Jaylon Smith returning to form here, I want you to assume he does.

What exactly would he bring to the table next year after a healthy training camp? Who would he replace? Who are we hoping he would be comparable to?

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I don't watch college ball, so all I've ever seen are highlight reels.

No prognostications about the probability of Jaylon Smith returning to form here, I want you to assume he does.

What exactly would he bring to the table next year after a healthy training camp? Who would he replace? Who are we hoping he would be comparable to?

Smith can play every position at linebacker. But he will be a great Mike for us. He excels at coverage and is a sure tackler. His only downside is shedding blockers to break into the backfield, but that's really searching for a weakness of his.

He weighed 240 at Norte Dame but didn't play like it (hitting/tackling power rushers and strong receivers/TEs) and is so fast, he is as fast as DBs 20-25 lbs lighter, and can drop back and cover as well as some of the best DBs, Lol. He is a field general and diagnoses plays at an elite level. Freak freak freak

Still, I would like to see him get up to 250-255. Just a scoach bigger :)

I believe @xwalker reviewed him extensively. If I'm wrong X (about your extensive review of him), apologies, my brother.

JDSmith

Reaction score
As for the question, he sounds a lot like Sean Lee (from what I've watched and read). He's amazing in coverage, he's instinctive and fast, he's not a big thumper like McClain. He should be in the nickle from day 1 alongside Lee. That would mean Hitchens at MLB in the base defense likely. But we're in nickle a lot. I'd say the key to having amazing success with him in there alongside Lee is to get some defensive linemen who can really soak up blockers. With those two guys free to roam and unmolested by 300 lbs goliaths, we'll be awesome.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Those blitzes that Hitchens, Durant, and Lee run that seldom get home? He is a great pass rusher with bend, lean, hand placement, and moves.

He adds another LB that can cover backs and TE man to man. He can also keep up with WR in underneath zones and crossing routes. Currently. Lee can do that while Hitchens and to a lesser extent Durant struggle to accomplish.

He struggles to take on OL but most LB. He is a consistent wrap up tackler.

In short he adds a ton of speed to the defense.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
As for the question, he sounds a lot like Sean Lee (from what I've watched and read). He's amazing in coverage, he's instinctive and fast, he's not a big thumper like McClain. He should be in the nickle from day 1 alongside Lee. That would mean Hitchens at MLB in the base defense likely. But we're in nickle a lot. I'd say the key to having amazing success with him in there alongside Lee is to get some defensive linemen who can really soak up blockers. With those two guys free to roam and unmolested by 300 lbs goliaths, we'll be awesome.

I disagree, with respect, JD. Smith is an every down LBer

He's a three down guy. All packages.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Those blitzes that Hitchens, Durant, and Lee run that seldom get home? He is a great pass rusher with bend, lean, hand placement, and moves.

He adds another LB that can cover backs and TE man to man. He can also keep up with WR in underneath zones and crossing routes. Currently. Lee can do that while Hitchens and to a lesser extent Durant struggle to accomplish.

He struggles to take on OL but most LB. He is a consistent wrap up tackler.

In short he adds a ton of speed to the defense.

Fuzzy, great to see you in here, man.

JDSmith

Reaction score
I disagree, with respect, JD. Smith is an every down LBer

I'm not saying he wouldn't play every down, just that someone else would play the MLB in the base defense. I'm only going by what I've read and heard, but I thought he was a little undersized - at least as compared to a guy like McClain. He's a very sure tackler, but he's not a snot bubble tackler like McClain.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I'm not saying he wouldn't play every down, just that someone else would play the MLB in the base defense. I'm only going by what I've read and heard, but I thought he was a little undersized - at least as compared to a guy like McClain. He's a very sure tackler, but he's not a snot bubble tackler like McClain.

Where do you put him when Hitch and Lee are in? SLB? Those dudes (SLB) are usually thumpers, what you claim Smith not to be. Lee is Will, and that to me, is Jaylon's second calling, but Lee ain't giving it up. There's no way you pull Smith for Hitch, unless Hitch continues to trend up (he's been playing better, lately)

I don't think you ever take Smith out of Mike. He's just too freaking good. He's a hell of a tackler. He doesn't kill people, like Sean Taylor (FS) or McClain (like you said), but when he gets his paws on you, you ain't getting free

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He replaces McClain at MLB and is basically a Lee clone. Exactly what we need!!! He will be the 2nd best defensive player the instant he steps on the field.

If Tapper and Smith can play next year we are that much closer to having a very good defense.

jday

Reaction score
Where do you put him when Hitch and Lee are in? SLB? Those dudes (SLB) are usually thumpers, what you claim Smith not to be. Lee is Will, and that to me, is Jaylon's second calling, but Lee ain't giving it up. There's no way you pull Smith for Hitch, unless Hitch continues to trend up (he's been playing better, lately)

I don't think you ever take Smith out of Mike. He's just too freaking good. He's a hell of a tackler. He doesn't kill people, like Sean Taylor (FS) or McClain (like you said), but when he gets his paws on you, you ain't getting free
He looks alot bigger now versus his college tape. I'm guessing with the injury he has focused more on his core and upper body which bodes well for his ability to shed blocks. I'm thinking Mike, as well. Im pretty that is what the scouts had him pegged as, as well. But he could probably play any linebacker position, which gives the Cowboys ideal flexibility in the future.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
He isn't the physical presence that McClain is, so you won't see those bone jarring hits that we saw in 2014 from him. But he is a good blitzer and good in coverage, so you'll have that to look forward to assuming he can return to form.

robbieruff

Reaction score
He's compared to Derrick Joshnson in his NFL.com draft profile. I for one see him as a Bobby Wagner type in his athleticism and versality and big play potential. But yes, he is definitely not a punishing tackler. Lot of arm and diving tackles where he leaves his feet in pursuit.

rockj7

Reaction score
He replaces McClain at MLB and is basically a Lee clone. Exactly what we need!!! He will be the 2nd best defensive player the instant he steps on the field.

If Tapper and Smith can play next year we are that much closer to having a very good defense.

Big Dog would you put Crawford back at the 3 and D. Lawrence back on the left side and draft another RDE/FA? Also will we resign T Crawford or Draft a 1 in the later rounds?