What gives you hope?

John813

Reaction score
One day Jeff Heath will grace our team with his presence again and bring our team to salvation.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I think we should all know by now that with the way things are run in Dallas the best one can hope for is a 12-4 team every so often that will ultimately fizzle out.

History has a way of repeating itself. The Jones organizational chart has solidified this principle.

I did not watch one play of that game last night. As a fan for over 50 years I don't ever remember doing that. I watched NCAA basketball. The Iowa hawkeyes have a nice team worth watching.
Glad I'm not alone. I didnt waste my time either. I saw youtube highlights and laughed.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have been a fan since mid 70's. Those Steeler SB's were brutal to a youngster. The up and down 80's and then the glory days. Been around. They will always be "my team" I suppose but I am first & foremost a football fan so I can watch & appreciate good football no matter who's playing it (other than the Eagles). Since they cleaned up the league and with free agency, there aren't any teams I despise (other than Eagles. despise might be slightly too strong even for them).
Yeah those steeler Sb losses still hurt me. Been a fan since ‘64 when I was six yrs old. The only reason I’ve stayed a fan of this team is this- I refuse to allow Jerry to steal my fandom. Out of loyalty to my hero- my dad, who took me to my first Cowboys game in 1964 at the Cotton Bowl, I have stayed loyal. To me, the good days of the Cowboys always remind me of how good a man my father is.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
I'm back....But still will be on a self imposed do not watch Dallas the remainder of the season order. I have NO hope. We have had 2 great quarterbacks whose career was wasted. Tons of great receivers whose careers in Dallas wasted. Good to near great defenses wasted. Great Olines. The only constant through all of this is Jerry BoZo Jones! He's never brought in a great coach minus Tuna. Then chased him away. Hard for me to really want to hate anybody but Jerry Jones comes as close as I ever want to get. He's an idiot of an owner whose so self important to himself that he continues to destroy what was once a proud organization. It' Like with my Lakers. As long as Jerry Jr was running things the Lakers sucked. Jeannie finally gets tired of it and fires him. Two years later we are Champions. Same thing with Dallas. Once BoZo Jones rides off into the sunset for whatever reason. Dallas will still have mini BoZo Stephen running things. Fans think I'm joking but again. The only hope we have if Charlotte Jones gets control. I believe of all the Jones kids. She'd be like Jeannie and go out and get a "real" GM to run things. She's all I've got... P.S. will be getting rid of this Smith pic as soon as find another pic I like.

blueblood70

Reaction score
After the last 25 years, it is clear- Jerry Jones and his front office don’t know how to build a winner. Period. It’s not even something that’s arguable. They don’t know what they are doing. The results speak for themselves. Some clear evidence:
  • Jerry’s teams in the 21st century have made the playoffs 7 times in the last 21 seasons.
  • After the great draft haul of 2016, this team hasn’t made the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years.
  • In the last 25 seasons including this one since we won a divisional playoff game, we have had 6 head coaches, 7 different OCs, and 8 different DCs. And the same GM. And 4 playoff wins.
I could go on. But my question is this- where is the hope? I’m not joking or being sarcastic. Serious question. What is the hope Cowboys fans can hang on to?
  • Is our hope pinned to believing we will get healthier next year, thus greatly improve?
  • Is our hope based on the fact we will have good draft position?
  • Is hope now based in somehow believing the Jones boys have learned something?
  • Should we forget the two decades plus of evidence that Jerry literally doesn’t know what he’s doing as GM?
I’m serious when I ask what gives you as a Cowboys fan hope for the future?

The only hope I have- two things- Having good luck and being able to acquire so much talent, it can overcome the completely clueless GM. That’s it.
It’s obvious injuries set us back , no offseason, new staff etc etc some. Disappointing FA misses on the DL and S etc

Reboot is hope next year healthy solid draft picks and FA needs to be a point smart not quantity but quality.

It’s mulligan year not an excuse a valid set of obvious REASONS.. IDC about old narratives and bs about the joneses, year to year league and we have shot to be very good next year.

Last edited:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
My hope? We suck so bad we get top 5 or better picks in consecutive years. We choose consensus elite players. Maybe with enough elite players we luck into a Super Bowl despite ownership and great coaching, e.g. Barry Switzer.

But this franchise is trending Al Davis and the Raiders and William Clay Ford and the Lions.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who said I have hope? What I have, that too many are lacking here, is acceptance. I have accepted that the team I root for is flawed from the top and that trickles down and there's really no hope that this improves when Booger goes toes up. BTW, when he does, I think they should put him on his boat and torch it.

How much more do people need to see? How many more spins do they need to put on mediocre drafts and FA acquisitions.

However, I understand the need for hope for some people and digging through the horse poo for the pony and I will not try to dash those hopes but I will debate them.

The major issue on this forum is the inability for some to handle their expectations not being met when they were unrealistic to begin with. Aikman said it last night referring to the expectations for many fans for this season, based on what? Then he followed that up with his own less than optimistic outlook for the future because he can't say what the real problem is with this team.

I lost hope when Booger got that stadium as that would make him bulletproof and no need to field a winner. He makes the same amount of money and gets the same amount of exposure regardless of the record. And there are no negative side effects to losing. He can sit up there and watch the cornerstone to his D misread the D all night and clap after making tackles 8 yards down the field because that's his guy.

Hope? No, none, but this is still my team because of the history and laundry and I will continue to watch them step in it with the hope they step up occasionally as they did in MIN.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
After the last 25 years, it is clear- Jerry Jones and his front office don’t know how to build a winner. Period. It’s not even something that’s arguable. They don’t know what they are doing. The results speak for themselves. Some clear evidence:
  • Jerry’s teams in the 21st century have made the playoffs 7 times in the last 21 seasons.
  • After the great draft haul of 2016, this team hasn’t made the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years.
  • In the last 25 seasons including this one since we won a divisional playoff game, we have had 6 head coaches, 7 different OCs, and 8 different DCs. And the same GM. And 4 playoff wins.
I could go on. But my question is this- where is the hope? I’m not joking or being sarcastic. Serious question. What is the hope Cowboys fans can hang on to?
  • Is our hope pinned to believing we will get healthier next year, thus greatly improve?
  • Is our hope based on the fact we will have good draft position?
  • Is hope now based in somehow believing the Jones boys have learned something?
  • Should we forget the two decades plus of evidence that Jerry literally doesn’t know what he’s doing as GM?
I’m serious when I ask what gives you as a Cowboys fan hope for the future?

The only hope I have- two things- Having good luck and being able to acquire so much talent, it can overcome the completely clueless GM. That’s it.

Nothing really gives me hope. I've stopped expecting the Cowboys to seriously contend, as in reach the NFC championship game.

Tank, fire this coach, cut that player, draft a savior - it won't matter as long as Dumb & Dumber are calling the shots.

I guess you'd say my "hope" is they'll prove me wrong. I've been wrong once or twice.

fredp22

Reaction score
2 items that give me hope-

1- Jerrys in his late Al Davis senile years and hopefully wont have much longer running the team . Stephen's just not smart enough to run the whole thing. He could either get a GM or sell the team.

2- a little before Covid Jerry made a huge investment in natural gas. The investment has been less than spectacular and his income from the Cowboys and JerryWorld for this year has to be a concern. I think its why Jerry has been so quiet and wouldnt be shocked to see him declare some kind of financial trouble.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I do think Jerry Jones is the problem, but I likely will never bring myself to speak words that suggest I want to hasten his demise.
I just can't bring myself to rejoice in anyone's death or act as if I'm waiting for them to die - whether they deserved it or not. Sorry, I just can't go there.

Asklesko

Reaction score
I had hoped it really was the head coach at fault in Dallas. Now i believe it is Jerry. So yeah, my hope is that Dak will win it all by himself.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am extremely happy I was able to dumb my season tickets and PSL's for break even. This was before the 2016 season. Even after the 13-3 season that year, I still never regretted it for a second.

Now, I feel like I won something in the lottery as I look back on it. It was like I won $10K a year (as that was what I was paying) for the last 5 years now, and for the next 20 yeas as well.

So far I won $50K and counting. :muttley:

As for any hope. I take it year to year, and do not look back. Yes it sucks the way the past 25 years have gone. But I will not let it fuel the flames of hate or despair nor make be bitter. After this season, I will look forward to the next season (well, already looking at next season). I do not need a snake oil salesperson to pump me up for next season. I will do that on my own, though I still need to see the off season moves to how much I will be pumped. Why? Because that is what fans do. Well it is what I do. I will not go into the season with pom poms or rose colored glasses, but I will go into it with a positive attitude (if they get defensive help and fire Nolan).