What grade would you give Kellen Moore?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What grade do you give him?
Last season I gave him barely a passing grade. Majority of people blamed Garrett, I knew better.” This season once again he’s barely passing, I’ve said it before he is a mini Scott Linehan. Garrett is too good of a coach and Jerry just handcuffed him for 10yrs. He cannot help himself he even put tie wraps on McCarthy making it seem like he’s given up full control he hasn’t and as long as he’s all in the locker room and seeing himself as the leader of the team we will have the same seasons we have had for 25yrs, insanity.

Anyway back to Moore I believe that Jerry forced him on McCarthy in order for MM to bring in his own staff. So MM has given this season as an audition for Moore, I am willing to bet MM will be calling the plays next season and those other holdovers that are on his staff was also Jerry’s doing I bet they will be somewhere else next season. If Jerry makes MM give up Nolan he should say can he replace all or a couple of those holdovers
A

John813

Reaction score
C-. He doesn't/didn't have a good grasp of the game flow imo.

Forced runs on 1st down in obvious run friendly formations. Going away from the run during stretches of the game.
Goes back to last year too.

Aggressive to conservative from one week to another.

Now post Dak, I'm not really grading, especially when Dalton went down too. Last week was odd, but I can buy the raw rookie reason. But even then, we would have plays that would result in a decent drive, then poof, some 5 yard backward pass that results in a dead drive.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
I would give him a C+ normally, but once Dak went down and especially how he handled the Philly game with an inexperienced QB I dropped him to a D. Ben D stunk, but I dont think KM did him any favors.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The reason I give him a barely passing grade: The way he call plays in the beginning of games, it took us to fall behind by double digits every game before he would call aggressively, that’s why I grade him so lowly. And against Philly man those reverses was making my head spin WTH! First off I don’t understand why they trotted Dinucci out there at all he should be playing flag football are you kidding me!
The slow starts are valid criticism, and Moore get his share of the blame, though the players get some fault as well. Zekes fumbling for example doesn’t fall on the shoulders of Moore.

The philly game I’ll actually give more credit on. They had to get creative to make it work and they did about the best they could given the situation. They tried to get too cute at times and it cost them, but overall I’m not sure if any OC ends up winning that game.

Dinucci getting the start is the call of the HC, not moore, and really was their only option. Gilbert who also isn’t very good only has about a week of practice at that point.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What grade do you give him?
Last season I gave him barely a passing grade. Majority of people blamed Garrett, I knew better.” This season once again he’s barely passing, I’ve said it before he is a mini Scott Linehan. Garrett is too good of a coach and Jerry just handcuffed him for 10yrs. He cannot help himself he even put tie wraps on McCarthy making it seem like he’s given up full control he hasn’t and as long as he’s all in the locker room and seeing himself as the leader of the team we will have the same seasons we have had for 25yrs, insanity.

Anyway back to Moore I believe that Jerry forced him on McCarthy in order for MM to bring in his own staff. So MM has given this season as an audition for Moore, I am willing to bet MM will be calling the plays next season and those other holdovers that are on his staff was also Jerry’s doing I bet they will be somewhere else next season. If Jerry makes MM give up Nolan he should say can he replace all or a couple of those holdovers
I would give him a C-.

I was never on Moore's bandwagon. I think he came through the ranks way too quickly. it takes years to learn the NFL, even the mad genius in NE took a little while. its the way of NFL. and Jerry did what jerry does, put his hopes in a fantasy thinking Moore will turn it around and sold hope to the fans and sold jersey's.

I said it last year, Moore was going to get schooled by DCs and coaches. and this year, still the same. he may have been a QB, called a few plays, but most OCs spend time as positional coaches, get coached, mentored, etc. and come up through the ranks. he went from 3rd string QB, to QB coach to OC in two years......he still has a lot to learn. he still thinks his scheme's are going to get him out of trouble. its not about the scheme, or play design. all play designs and schemes are designed for success. its how you call plays during the game, assess the defensive response to your formations so that you can use that later in the game. the sequence of your calls, plays, etc. are the most important aspects of the OC job....he is still learning.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wish he never became the QB coach, to have a chance to be promoted...opps, gifted the OC position.

At times he seems ok, but also has the talent to work with. But he sure does, and this season seem to have way too many brain farts and stupid inopportune timing on many calls.
He may need to go. So a grade of D but he has 8 make up tests left to bring that grade up.

DCowboyz

Reaction score
C+ and honestly, Dak made him look a little better than what he was calling.

blueblood70

Reaction score
C overall

B- 2 seasons and nice passing game coordinator for stat padding

however F for not being able to find balance and integrate a run game with his pass happy play calling..hes zekes downfall and this team is losing with his vision for dak to be Aaron rogers ..the organization signs zeke to a contract not many agree with then basically turns him into a FB..

so F!!!

quickccc

Reaction score
i love Moore's passing designs, huddle pace, pre-snap motion and that he does not shy away from Zeke near the goal line the way Linehan mysteriously did
too many times. and he schemely exploits to a good number of rub routes and bunch formations. He can scheme to help players get better freed up
and opened in pass game.

Give him the right QB and receiving weapons, and competent blockers and he get you a top ranked passing offense and his Dal lead offense can score points.

i do not like his plan and design with RBs in the pass game. Very bland and non-creative, and predictable.
Pollard is vastly under developed and non-exploited in pass game. Same way we used zeke in 2016 in pass game in misdirection plays
out of backfield., we should have exploited that as much as we could.

i do not like scheming Dak to run with the ball. Keep him out of those plays where he is taking on defenders. Same way we see Russel Wilson scramble to
buy time to throw, or run out of bounds, or slide down after running upfield for 1st downs, that's how i'd like to keep Dak
Using him like Lamar Jackson is a costly mistake waiting to happen.

We had the no.1 offense in yards and pass yards before Dak went down. and we have capability to score points despite Kellen's flaws and
shortcoming in other areas.

I'd give him a B this year... and have to grade him on what he had with Dak.