What Grinds My Gears: Indefinite Pronouns

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
grinds-my-gears.jpg

Rant on.

Some equal few. Many equal numerous. Everybody equal all. Why is it that some people rarely use the first two pronouns but prefer the third one while referring to several or a lot? Is speaking or writing the words 'some' or 'many' an unfamiliar taboo? If so, what is the penalty for committing the taboo? Literal understanding?

Rant off.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Title:

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/why-is-everyone-so-afraid-of-the-eagles.390452/page-3#post-7680709

I read that and ask myself why am I afraid of Philly because I am not scared of the Eagles but everyone equal all or (in this case) all CowboysZone members so...

I consider that basic hyperbole. It's essentially clickbait, although people have hyped things long before there was anything to click. Hyperbole has been a newspaper headline standard for as long as they have been in print, and I'm sure town criers were using it long before then.

Also, if someone makes a headline asking why everyone is afraid of the Eagles what he is really asking is,"Why is everyone but ME afraid of the Eagles?" Which of course makes the author seem more bold and fearless than the unwashed masses. Clickbait and self aggrandizement, that's a pretty potent combination.

Them

Reaction score
...Early in school I barely passed English...so I wouldn't know the answer to you question.
"Many" times in the past, I attended a "few" extra English classes in Summer school.
I passed "numerous" courses; still on occasion I would fail "some" of the time. ...:cool: