What happened to Kris Richards?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What makes you think two inexperienced coaches, one coaching the corners and the other the safeties, will lead to more cohesion? That's exactly what I'm worried about.

That they won't have any sort of ego and will stick to whatever Mike Nolan wants them to do.

I think a big issue for the defense last year was a disconnect between the position coaches. I saw three levels doing their own thing. Marinelli coaching the defensive line to do one thing, Ben Bloom (who should have never been gifted the job) coaching linebackers to do something else, and finally Richard coaching the secondary to play a certain way. None of it meshed and none of it worked together. And that dysfunction extended so far as to the individual coaches being at odds with one another, at some points to a large degree. All of that was highly detrimental to the overall defense and I think a big reason why all three were sent packing, albeit it just one of many.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
That they won't have any sort of ego and will stick to whatever Mike Nolan wants them to do.

I think a big issue for the defense last year was a disconnect between the position coaches. I saw three levels doing their own thing. Marinelli coaching the defensive line to do one thing, Ben Bloom (who should have never been gifted the job) coaching linebackers to do something else, and finally Richard coaching the secondary to play a certain way. None of it meshed and none of it worked together. And that dysfunction extended so far as to the individual coaches being at odds with one another, at some points to a large degree. All of that was highly detrimental to the overall defense and I think a big reason why all three were sent packing, albeit it just one of many.

pass D was ranked 10th the last two seasons.

8th in scoring last season.

We gave all that up so Mike Nolan could get another shot at being a DC.

helps to be big buddies with MM.

then when KR leaves, people try to hate on him.

he wasn’t going to stay.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

he wasn’t going to stay.

It wasn't up to him. Richard didn't "leave" in order to be out of work. The choice was made for him.

But tell yourself whatever fairy tales you need to on the subject.

It's clear that you behave irrationally whenever Richard or Nolan's names are mentioned.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Garratted. But Dennis Thurman and Kris Richard will comeback and haunt the Cowboys. But I like the big M&M defensive staff.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

he wasn’t going to stay.
It wasn't up to him. Richard didn't "leave" in order to be out of work. The choice was made for him.

But tell yourself whatever fairy tales you need to on the subject.

It's clear that you behave irrationally whenever Richard or Nolan's names are mentioned.

why would Jerry fired a coach with numbers like this???

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Turns out his many fans might have been completely clueless re his actual abilities. Which is shocking, because everyone loved him, and I can’t imagine everyone being wrong like that.
Well..

Other than his pet cat Byron Jones, the rest of the secondary is average at best.

That's why the draft and FA signings were heavy with DBs.

Richard did not want to stay. He correctly figured the defense of 2018 was his launch for a HC position and that fizzed.

That was really a blessing I thought. But nope.