YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The differences:
  • Roy Williams is our #2
  • Proctor is our guard
  • We have Anderson all season
  • Crayton is NOT our #2
  • We have Felix and Choice instead of JuJo and Barber is now the starter.

Am I missing anything?

Now, exclude the games Romo was out injured as those are obvious.

Anyway, the only downgrade I see is Proctor. Everything else should be an upgrade, yet this offense isn't anywhere near as explosive as it was last year. Or even consistent! Ok, Roy Williams takes time to get involved, but it's not like Crayton wasn't even on the field playing or that Roy was complete inept. If that was the case, he wouldn't be starting in place of Crayton.

We are 99 points short of last years total points with one game to go. (2007: 455pts, 2008: 356pts) At this same time last year we were at 449pts. (we only scored 6 pts in the final game) You could say Romo didn't play in 3 games, but to even get close to what we scored last year, we would have to score almost 30 extra points per game in those three games.

So the question is, what has happen since last year?

links18

Reaction score
In reality, there isn't much different from last year. We just got very lucky in a couple of games last year. If we win on Sunday, we finish 10-6. Take away the Buffalo and Detroit games last year (both of which we should have lost, but got very lucky) and we should have been 11-5. Let's say a healthy Romo wins us the Rams the game this year. It's a wash. After the late season meltdown last year, I thought we would most likely be a 10-6 team this season.

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
I think it is (1) Offensive line play and (2) Romo decision making, not performing.

Defense has been better since Wade took over (for the most part).
Special teams still suck.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Our offensive line is horrendous. And it is not even close. Last year Romo made them look far better than they are...this year he has not been able to do that. Flo is not getting better...he is getting worse. Gurode has always been inconsistent. Kosier is obviosuly not here. Colombo is the same guy he was last year. And Leaonard Davis....for all the size and strength....is ONE dimensional. He can only go north and south. He is constantly blocking someone that is ALREADY BEING BLOCKED BY SOMEBODY ELSE!

SlwSVT

Reaction score
It seems offenses always get the leg up in the beginning of the season. Then defenses come around and learn how to play them. We started off strong offensively last year and then were weak at the end. Same as this year. I believe Romo is definately off on his reads. But I think the coaching has alot to do with our offense. Even though Garret has been annointed as a genius, I think he is a huge part of the problem. He does not seem to make the correct adjustments when a defense focuses on taking a part of the game plan away. Wade for the most part fixed the bad calls by Stewart, but there is no one there to pick Garret up with his offensive struggles.

RS12

Reaction score
the cover 2 has sucessfully shut down TO since the Patriot game last October. That circle route that Garrett fell in love with to Barber out of the backfield before he got hurt, will likely work much better and loosen things up with either Felix Jones or Bennett running it next year.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Disturbed;2518199 said:
I think it is (1) Offensive line play and (2) Romo decision making, not performing.
I agree with both of those completely. Romo isn't preparing like he used to last year and the years before.
bbailey423;2518263 said:
Our offensive line is horrendous. And it is not even close. Last year Romo made them look far better than they are...this year he has not been able to do that. Flo is not getting better...he is getting worse. Gurode has always been inconsistent. Kosier is obviosuly not here. Colombo is the same guy he was last year. And Leaonard Davis....for all the size and strength....is ONE dimensional. He can only go north and south. He is constantly blocking someone that is ALREADY BEING BLOCKED BY SOMEBODY ELSE!
I disagree with Gurode. His only inconsistency is snapping the ball. Any other troubles he has had this year I think deal with the musical chairs being played at guard to his left.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
nyc;2518105 said:
The differences:
  • Roy Williams is our #2
  • Proctor is our guard
  • Crayton is NOT our #2

Am I missing anything?

Anyway, the only downgrade I see is Proctor. Everything else should be an upgrade, yet this offense isn't anywhere near as explosive as it was last year. Or even consistent! Ok, Roy Williams takes time to get involved, but it's not like Crayton wasn't even on the field playing or that Roy was complete inept. If that was the case, he wouldn't be starting in place of Crayton.

We are 99 points short of last years total points with one game to go. (2007: 455pts, 2008: 356pts) At this same time last year we were at 449pts. (we only scored 6 pts in the final game) You could say Romo didn't play in 3 games, but to even get close to what we scored last year, we would have to score almost 30 extra points per game in those three games.

Jason Garrett dropped his creativity and still has yet to find it. He has been tracing his steps taken since last year's regular season but the creativity remains lost.

CoCo

Reaction score
Someone with statistics may be able to prove me wrong...

But I think the O isn't much different than last year and I would point to the recent Seattle & SF games as evidence. Playing teams of that caliber is very different than playing Pittsburgh, NYG & Baltimore.

Tracking it all throughout the year is difficult because of our bout with injuries (Romo, Barber and even the rumored injury to Flo a few weeks back) and even a bit with complacency before Tony's injury.

But I do think our schedule is tougher this year than last.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Bleu Star;2518289 said:
Jason Garrett dropped his creativity and still has yet to find it. He has been tracing his steps taken since last year's regular season but the creativity remains lost.

He is stagnating the offense. I agree. We were able to run the ball on the Ravens, but for some reason, we stopped doing it for no reason at all in the second quarter.

In the second quarter, we ran the ball twice in 14 plays and at one time we had seven consecutive passing plays. The last time we ran the ball there was 4:19 seconds left on the clock. Once that streak of seven passes started, we never ran the ball again in the first half. Take into account we were ahead during this period to boot. The Ravens didn't take the lead until the final play of the second quarter.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
nyc;2518321 said:
He is stagnating the offense. I agree. We were able to run the ball on the Ravens, but for some reason, we stopped doing it for no reason at all in the second quarter.

In the second quarter, we ran the ball twice in 14 plays and at one time we had seven consecutive passing plays. The last time we ran the ball there was 4:19 seconds left on the clock. Once that streak of seven passes started, we never ran the ball again in the first half. Take into account we were ahead during this period to boot. The Ravens didn't take the lead until the final play of the second quarter.

:lmao: :lmao2: :lmao: Love the sig man. People at work would probably be wondering why I have this huge grin on my face if they could see it.

btcutter

Reaction score
It's not really that complicated to figure out.

Pass happy teams never have long term success......Never....maybe for 1 season until the defensive coordinators around the league figures it out. There are always some weaknesses to a pass happy team. They can't thrive in poor weather most of the time. They are not mentally tough because there will be too many three and outs and that wears on the D and frustrates the O. Oh...often the QB gets injured at some point in time.

Run teams with a good passer and good (doesn't have to be great) defense tend to bring home Superbowls.

Run teams pretty much can thrive in any weather condition and also has the mentality to go the distance. They BELIEVE they can run on 7-8-9 man fronts and they DON'T quit. They will hit you again and again until the will of the defense wears down and BAM....pass over the top or a long run to break your back.
Add to the above with a good passer....then you can't be stopped unless you D sucks...which brings us to the last point of a good D. It doesn't have to be Baltimore or Pitt D. It just needs to be a D that is smart and can get off the field on critical 3rd downs....ie. NE.

Look the the ingredients for a SB team........Run predominant(slightly) with good passer and good D.....Dallas teams from the 90s.

dfense

Reaction score
nyc;2518105 said:
The differences:
  • Roy Williams is our #2
  • Proctor is our guard
  • Crayton is NOT our #2
Am I missing anything?

Yes, injuries jumps out at me. Pinkies, toes, hamstrings, foot problems, not to mention a completely different schedule.

notherbob

Reaction score
This disorganized mob has too many polite milk and daquiri drinkers and not enough ***-kicking whiskey drinkers.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Tony Sparano is the difference. We had no idea who was really behind our offense last year. While Redball got the credit, BP knew the score and recruited away the real offensive mastermind.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
FLCowboyFan;2518506 said:
Tony Sparano is the difference. We had no idea who was really behind our offense last year. While Redball got the credit, BP knew the score and recruited away the real offensive mastermind.

No one can argue with this at all! Same team pretty much.. new coach in Sparano and new GM in the venerable Tuna and BINGO.... Tuna does it again... From 1-15 to a potential playoff berth in one season with pretty much the same staff.... WOWZERS :eek:

alancdc

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2518780 said:
No one can argue with this at all! Same team pretty much.. new coach in Sparano and new GM in the venerable Tuna and BINGO.... Tuna does it again... From 1-15 to a potential playoff berth in one season with pretty much the same staff.... WOWZERS :eek:

It is very hard to argue this.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2518780 said:

I think one more win and they are the AFC East champs. That's getting it done. Now we will have to see what they do next year and so on but it ain't bad.

The key to that success, players being asked to play within themselves.

CarlJohnson

Reaction score
nyc;2518288 said:
I agree with both of those completely. Romo isn't preparing like he used to last year and the years before.

I disagree with Gurode. His only inconsistency is snapping the ball. Any other troubles he has had this year I think deal with the musical chairs being played at guard to his left.

NYC, can you please explain that first comment. How do you know that? Are you at practice or in the film room? Seriously. Just curious.