What I dont understand....

davidb257

Benched
Reaction score
well I don't understand many things. Let me try to recap a few things first. The Cowboys two seasons ago, showed the absolute pinnacle of what they could be, we had a 13-3 regular season, a quarterback who threw like he was the second coming of Troy Aikman, a reciever/TE combo who could shred defenses, and a running back that we could rest assure would punch it in when needed and put games away. Our defense, though not perfect, could effectively stop the run and for the most part hold it together. Gentlemen, it does not get better than this. A team that is 15-1 is EQUAL to a team that is 13-3 in football, losses happen. We were on top of the football world. We could not have been playing better football, the foundation of our team will never see a better season.

We then lose a playoff game by 4 points to a team playing defense that would eventually stop the undefeated pats in the superbowl. Teams lose, because Peyton Manning continuously lost in the post season didn't mean that the teams offensive strategy needed to be scrapped. Brady and his undefeated Pats losing to the Giants in the SB did not call for Brady to now drive the bus to prevent crazy come back victories from ever happening again.

What we had that season was not broken and what is broken does not need to be fixed. The next season, WITH key injuries, we barely miss the playoffs.

What I dont understand is, how we decided that group of players that was so productive, and the scheme of football we were trying to play should have been thrown out. The style of offense run by Peyton Manning and the Indy Colts has been the same style ever since they became contenders, it doesn't get old, and it has them in the running each and every single year. It's Colts football. The football played by Brady and the Pats every single year is uniquely Pats football, same goes for the putrid Steelers. The football we played in 2007 was our football, it was Cowboys football, but becuase Garrett had supposedly been figured out, we had to change our scheme and now Romo is a bus driver. It's not what he is, or ever will be. Romo is the kind of quarterback that can hit fast physical reciever streaking downfield repeatedly, and no defenses wont beat it, just like defenses couldn't beat Montana to Rice, Manning to Harrison, etc.

I'm not saying this new run game we found needs to be hidden away while Romo tosses the ball 40 times a game and if that's what you got from my post, then youve misunderstood everything I've said. Especially now with the run game would our football be even more effective.

So what I don't understand is why change the best thing we had seen in a while?

:beer2: Heres to hoping that the core group of players on this team's best days arn't behind them.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
here is what it seemingly took defensive coordinators FAR TO LONG to stop Dallas. When we went 13 - 3 teams played zone WAY TOO MUCH. Play us man to man...be physical with our WRs...blitz Romo, and force our WRs to beat man coverage. They cannot consistnely do this....and if and when they do, if the line does not protect and/or pick up the blitz....Romo is toast.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
We had a horrible locker room especially last year. Not much has changed.. same coordinator on offensive. Better defensive play calling. Deeper at running back... TO had to go dog. Bottom line.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
THEHEREAFTER;2997989 said:
We had a horrible locker room especially last year. Not much has changed.. same coordinator on offensive. Better defensive play calling. Deeper at running back... TO had to go dog. Bottom line.

THat's the problem outside of RB and CB we have done nothing to improve our team and have down graded in sereval positions. Oh wait we also improved at K.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Coaching.

Sparano > Garrett

I'm not saying Garrett is stupid, he is just green. He has no business being a OC or a HC. He doesn't have enough experience in a coaching position.

Sure he knows the Xs and Os and what is supposed to happen, but he doesn't know how to employ them properly.

jimmy40

Reaction score
It took Jerrywade a year to screw up what Parcells left.

craig71

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Reaction score
davidb257;2997965 said:
well I don't understand many things. Let me try to recap a few things first. The Cowboys two seasons ago, showed the absolute pinnacle of what they could be, we had a 13-3 regular season, a quarterback who threw like he was the second coming of Troy Aikman, a reciever/TE combo who could shred defenses, and a running back that we could rest assure would punch it in when needed and put games away. Our defense, though not perfect, could effectively stop the run and for the most part hold it together. Gentlemen, it does not get better than this. A team that is 15-1 is EQUAL to a team that is 13-3 in football, losses happen. We were on top of the football world. We could not have been playing better football, the foundation of our team will never see a better season.

We then lose a playoff game by 4 points to a team playing defense that would eventually stop the undefeated pats in the superbowl. Teams lose, because Peyton Manning continuously lost in the post season didn't mean that the teams offensive strategy needed to be scrapped. Brady and his undefeated Pats losing to the Giants in the SB did not call for Brady to now drive the bus to prevent crazy come back victories from ever happening again.

What we had that season was not broken and what is broken does not need to be fixed. The next season, WITH key injuries, we barely miss the playoffs.

What I dont understand is, how we decided that group of players that was so productive, and the scheme of football we were trying to play should have been thrown out. The style of offense run by Peyton Manning and the Indy Colts has been the same style ever since they became contenders, it doesn't get old, and it has them in the running each and every single year. It's Colts football. The football played by Brady and the Pats every single year is uniquely Pats football, same goes for the putrid Steelers. The football we played in 2007 was our football, it was Cowboys football, but becuase Garrett had supposedly been figured out, we had to change our scheme and now Romo is a bus driver. It's not what he is, or ever will be. Romo is the kind of quarterback that can hit fast physical reciever streaking downfield repeatedly, and no defenses wont beat it, just like defenses couldn't beat Montana to Rice, Manning to Harrison, etc.

I'm not saying this new run game we found needs to be hidden away while Romo tosses the ball 40 times a game and if that's what you got from my post, then youve misunderstood everything I've said. Especially now with the run game would our football be even more effective.

So what I don't understand is why change the best thing we had seen in a while?

:beer2: Heres to hoping that the core group of players on this team's best days arn't behind them.

I don't know what the answer is,I don't think anybody truly does.Some say that it's all on the players,while others say it's just bad coaching.Most likely the truth lies somewhere in the middle.A quarterback is like a pitcher in alot of ways,especially in how they are ctitiqued/studied.Maybe Romo has a flaw that has been exposed,kinda like a poker player that has a "tell".You just know he's bluffing.Maybe Garrett has a flaw in his scheme that just magnifies Romo's flaws or maybe Romo's flaws magnify Garrett's shortcomings.

Craig

RS12

Reaction score
bbailey423;2997974 said:
here is what it seemingly took defensive coordinators FAR TO LONG to stop Dallas. When we went 13 - 3 teams played zone WAY TOO MUCH. Play us man to man...be physical with our WRs...blitz Romo, and force our WRs to beat man coverage. They cannot consistnely do this....and if and when they do, if the line does not protect and/or pick up the blitz....Romo is toast.

Yep, if you noticed last year TO could no longer consistantly beat the jam.

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
nyc;2997996 said:
Coaching.

Sparano > Garrett

I'm not saying Garrett is stupid, he is just green. He has no business being a OC or a HC. He doesn't have enough experience in a coaching position.

Sure he knows the Xs and Os and what is supposed to happen, but he doesn't know how to employ them properly.

I'll go you one better with this comparison:

Parcells > Phillips

The Tuna handed Wade the keys to a Mercedes and after Phillips took it out for a spin, he came back with a Kia.

Rather a simplistic view in seeing things but it gets the job done.