What I think we'll do day 1...

ghst187

Reaction score
Its not what I want, you can see my sig below to see what I want us to do,
but here's how I THINK we'll end up playing day 1 of the draft.

1) Trade down a few picks
late 1st/early second depending on the trade: LB Kamerion Wimbley
2) OL Charles Spencer
3) FS Pat Watkins

I think the extra pick we get in a trade down will be used on another OL or a WR.
Why do I think this?
1) looking at our needs
2) listening to what JJ says about the draft
3) Watching to see who were are meeting with and most interested in (we're not drafting high enough that we need to play smoke and mirrors quite as much as we did with Tnew and Roy) and where those guys project.

I think this would be a solid draft and improve us a lot. Its just not as exciting as mine below, but maybe more realistic.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
I think that's a strong liklihood.
Our draft could easily look something like that.

Although Ive got a feeling you see us take a WR instead of a FS.

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
I hope we don't try to get cute with trade downs. Wimbley may not even be on the board at #18 (I've seen him projected to Philly a few places), so I really don't see us trading down if that is the player we want. I'm fine with a trade-down 1-3 spots to pick up a fourth if we're targeting Carpenter (in fact, I'd prefer it), but if we want Wimbley or Lawson, we'd better stand pat and cross our fingers. Both players are on the rise, just like Ware last year.

ghst187

Reaction score
Sitting Bull said:
I hope we don't try to get cute with trade downs. Wimbley may not even be on the board at #18 (I've seen him projected to Philly a few places), so I really don't see us trading down if that is the player we want. I'm fine with a trade-down 1-3 spots to pick up a fourth if we're targeting Carpenter (in fact, I'd prefer it), but if we want Wimbley or Lawson, we'd better stand pat and cross our fingers. Both players are on the rise, just like Ware last year.

I think you may be right. If Lawson jumps into the top 15 (not that likely but a real possibility) and philthy jumps on Wimbley...yeah, we won't be able to trade down and still get any of the three, Lawson, Wimbley, or Carpenter. And who knows, maybe NE loves Carpenter and jumps us...
The good news is that philthy signed Howard so they may not feel as compelled to take a DE/LB...but I guess we'll find out...

I do think that those three players are guys that our scouting dept really like.

ddh33

Reaction score
That first day would make me pretty happy. I'm getting anxious waiting for the big day.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
One thing I'm starting to notice, is that people aren't falling too in lust with specific players, and that's a good thing. Even though you may want a specific player, you know good and well BP isn't reading this board.

So it's nice to see us take an opened mind approach.

ghst187

Reaction score
Everyone does realize that I was trying to project what I actually think our scouting dept will do on draft day, not what I WANT us to do right?

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Best guess at what they "will" do.
1) OLB
2) OL
3) QB

although I don't necessarily think this is the way it should play out

Woods

Reaction score
I was thinking that Philthy would be more inclined to take one of the top RBs with their 1st rounder.

ghst187

Reaction score
Woods said:
I was thinking that Philthy would be more inclined to take one of the top RBs with their 1st rounder.

You'd think that wouldn't you? I read somewhere that this isn't the case...not that they DEFINITELY wont draft a RB in the first, but that wasn't a primary concern for them. Most Mock drafts have them going with a LB or WR, although they just signed Jabar Gaffney so they may not look for a WR early either. IMO, signing Gaffney wouldn't do anything to ease my concern at the WR position if I were them. Puzzles me too but they have my permission to continue their freefall back to long-term mediocrity.