What if 3-4 defense struggles

garyo1954

Reaction score
I've no doubt Jerry will pull something out of his ********** days to explain all the shortcomings.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Last year Mike McCarthy was adamant on playing 3-4 knowing he didn’t have the time, coaches & players to do it and still wants to continue go down this road.

Dan Quinn’s success came under 4-3 defense & in Atl SB run it was 4-3 majority of the time.

My question is would you get rid of McCarthy if the defense struggles for the first quarter of the season like last year and promote Kellen Moore as the HC?

It doesn’t work this way anymore. Dan Quinn had Red Bryant and Brandon Mebane two-gapping on his Seattle lines.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I can’t stand his coaching style. We never find a coach mid season. I don’t want to start now because that means were losing. But here’s the dilemma. We win and I still can’t stand him. Losing situation for me. Mike McCarthy never should’ve been hired

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Either the OP is:

1. strictly trolling… or

2. 100% does not understand defense and what Quinn is doing.

Based on some of the things he’s said, I’d go with option 2.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Last year Mike McCarthy was adamant on playing 3-4 knowing he didn’t have the time, coaches & players to do it and still wants to continue go down this road.

Dan Quinn’s success came under 4-3 defense & in Atl SB run it was 4-3 majority of the time.

My question is would you get rid of McCarthy if the defense struggles for the first quarter of the season like last year and promote Kellen Moore as the HC?

Then we go 6 and 10 again.
With dak healthy this season 8 and 9?

Prossman

Reaction score
Dump question, IMO. They are obviously not going to stick with what's not working. The good thing about having a D that can shift from 3-4 to 4-3 or any variation in between is that you have options.
Agreed , At least we have the personal to run 3-4 4-3 hybrid fronts. unlike a year ago when we had 1 or 2 of the front seven pieces. Nolan should have been fired on the spot for that stupidity.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Either the OP is:

1. strictly trolling… or

2. 100% does not understand defense and what Quinn is doing.

Based on some of the things he’s said, I’d go with option 2.
You're still guessing?
After all these Threads...

I thought better of you.

And I definitively go with Option #1.
He always dregs up the insanity on multiple fronts.

I, for one, applaud that he drags peeps in every time.
Even ones like you.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
You're still guessing?

I thought better of you.

Even ones like you.

What can I say Corso, I was at work and bored.....and at first glance I didn't realize he wasn't actually wanting to discuss 4-3 to 3-4 but how good the 4th string DE .....well nevermind your right I'm a sucker......

Corso

Reaction score
What can I say Corso, I was at work and bored.....and at first glance I didn't realize he wasn't actually wanting to discuss 4-3 to 3-4 but how good the 4th string DE .....well nevermind your right I'm a sucker......
You my boy Blu.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
You're still guessing?

I thought better of you.

Even ones like you.
Sometimes I just can’t help myself. And yes, he’s trolling for sure… but I honestly think he doesn’t really understand the 34 vs 43 / 43 under vs 43 over / 1-gap vs 2-gap / base vs nickel vs dime stuff. He just doesn’t know defense that well and it shows in some of the arguments he makes.

I guess I’m not really talking to the OP as much as I am reminding the other posters that the guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about so maybe getting in a discussion with him isn’t the best of ideas. He is so far off base sometimes that I wonder if it is a mental health thing.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Nobody runs straight 3-4 outside of Pittsburgh these days. Teams end up playing nickel more than anything else.

And I'd say the same is kinda true for the 4-3 as well. There's usually a hybrid of those sorts nowadays.

Corso

Reaction score
Sometimes I just can’t help myself. And yes, he’s trolling for sure… but I honestly think he doesn’t really understand the 34 vs 43 / 43 under vs 43 over / 1-gap vs 2-gap / base vs nickel vs dime stuff. He just doesn’t know defense that well and it shows in some of the arguments he makes.

I guess I’m not really talking to the OP as much as I am reminding the other posters that the guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about so maybe getting in a discussion with him isn’t the best of ideas. He is so far off base sometimes that I wonder if it is a mental health thing.
First part of second part: Okay.
The rest?

Exercises in hilarity of his making.

I actually enjoy all this!
He's queen!
HE'S QUEEN!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Random comments:
- Last years' problems with defense had more to do with other issues than alignment. It was a 2 gap scheme that was complicated, implemented with minimal offseason. Guys who were used to simply attacking a gap had to take on a blocker and read all kinds of things to perform the defense correctly and they just didn't have it in them.
- Quinn is not a McCarthy hire. He is a Jones hire. He is going to get a long leash and if it doesn't work, I doubt McCarthy gets blamed.
- Quinn is going to be running the defense he is used to running and its probably closer to Marinelli's defense than what the Cowboys did last year but even then, there are significant differences.
- The Cowboys defense is going to be super young and most of the team's money goes to offense. There is going to be a long leash here.
- As what everyone says, the Cowboys are going to be running a nickel most of the time.

Quinn is a MM hire, he was on board with this as Jerry was.
MM was given the free rein in hiring his staff in 2020. So he was the one that brought in Quinn or had a lot to do with it for 2021 as well. Jerry just approves it.

Agree with with everything else though.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Since we won't be playing stricktly 3-4 it's not an issue.