What if Cowboys/NFL had a true minor league?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would you watch the San Antonio Vaqueros if all the players were on the Cowboys 90-man off-season roster?

Scenario:
- All NFL teams would have a minor league team.
- 8 game season
- 4 teams make the playoffs.
- i.e. 4 teams play 9 games and 2 of those 4 play 10 games.

Would you like it if they replaced NFL pre-season games with the NFL minor league games?
- Most NFL teams rarely play veteran starters in the pre-season games anymore.
- Many veteran QBs play in either one or zero preseaason games these days.
- The minor league practices/games could replace most of training camp for the players that are on the minor league team.
- Training camp could be reduced to about 2 weeks and would integrate the minor league players with the veterans.
- Summary: Far less total snaps than players that play in the UFL then come to an NFL camp and make the NFL team.
- Not radically more total practice/game snaps than the combinion of OTAs/mini-camps, training-camp and preseason games.

Practices could remain in the NFL city with only the games being played at the minor league team's "home" stadium.
- i.e. Cowboys minor league players live/practice in Dallas (Frisco) but play home games in San Antonio.
- Maybe they spend a couple of weeks in San Antonio like the Cowboys spend multiple weeks in Califronia for camp.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Would you watch the San Antonio Vaqueros if all the players were on the Cowboys 90-man off-season roster?

Scenario:
- 8 game season

Would you like it if they replaced NFL pre-season games with the NFL minor league games?
- The minor league practices/games could replace most of training camp for the players that are on the minor league team.
- Training camp could be reduced to about 2 weeks and would integrate the minor league players with the veterans.
- Summary: Far less total snaps than players that play in the UFL then come to an NFL camp and make the NFL team.
- Not radically more total practice/game snaps than the combinion of OTAs/mini-camps, training-camp and preseason games.

Practices could remain in the NFL city with only the games being played at the minor league team's "home" stadium.
- i.e. Cowboys minor league players live/practice in Dallas (Frisco) but play home games in San Antonio.
- Maybe they spend a couple of weeks in San Antonio like the Cowboys spend multiple weeks in Califronia for camp.
Fab idea, lowlander!
The NFL, Always looking to create more revenue and to take over the world, should LOVE this idea.
My stipulation would be that a farm club in San Antonio-Austin would bind these players to their farm team (SanAust) for 4 years or less (if he is really talented) and the 4 years to the home team (Sanaustin).
Bring back player/fan loyalty to the NFL!

Post of the day, me lords, post of the day!

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Fab idea, lowlander!
The NFL, Always looking to create more revenue and to take over the world, should LOVE this idea.
My stipulation would be that a farm club in San Antonio-Austin would bind these players to their farm team (SanAust) for 4 years or less (if he is really talented) and the 4 years to the home team (Sanaustin).
Bring back player/fan loyalty to the NFL!

Post of the day, me lords, post of the day!
Yes. That will work, particularly in the United States. Curt Flood says hold my beer.

Blitzen

Reaction score

Scenario:
- 8 game season

I think it would be best for the product they are giving fans. More guys to play at the pro level, with better understanding of the scheme and level of play needed to succeed.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Scenario:
- 8 game season

Yes. I think it would be a great benefit to young players that played south of Power 5 in college, any many that did play Power 5

Mainly first and 2nd year players and older players that want to continue their career. Also high picks that havent worked it. It will give them a chance to showcase themselves.

Having all teams have a minor league team may dilute the talent. I think the goal should be to get Power 5 caliber play

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Minor league football is not a moneymaker. So far the AAFL, XFL, USFL, and now UFL have yet to produce a financially sustainable product.

The NFL is perfectly fine benefitting from these leagues without having an ounce of financial responsibility.

I wish they could find something. I like the idea of more football and getting players more opportunities. Personally I’d like to see more developmental chances like players transferring from other sports or from other countries. And like the OP suggested, some of the Cowboys younger players getting a chance to show something.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

Scenario:
- 8 game season

They NFL already has a minor league and they get first pickings of all the best talent without having to spend a single penny supporting it.

GUEST_f242a2e1-51fd-42b9-af51-1d34d199d44e

NeathBlue

Reaction score
They should never have scrapped NFL Europe…
It produced players for the NFL, Kurt Warner being the most successful, and also there was a very good fanbase for it… especially in Germany.

shabazz

Reaction score
Sure. Didn't mean anything by citing the link other than to highlight there's been some thinking along those lines of-late.
We all took it as passive aggressive......definitely some kind of microagression at the very least

I was triggered by it.....where's my safe space?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe the NFL should just invest into the UFL. And have up to 8 players that are designated to each team to develop. Each NFL team pays those players within the UFL's pay structure to retain their rights. Not all players play on the same team.

But to answer the OP question. Yes I would be more apt to watch a designated team where all the players were dedicated to Dallas.
But that would be hard to do. You would have to have a team that have players from multiple NFL teams. Because 32 teams would be a lot to do and having 53 players on those teams.
Each team if only 8 teams could sponsor players from 4 different teams.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Scenario:
- 8 game season

I think it’s a great idea. Frankly, I’ve never understood why the NFL didn’t build a system like MLB, the NHL and the NBA, who all have players stashed to develop in minor leagues.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
I think it’s a great idea. Frankly, I’ve never understood why the NFL didn’t build a system like MLB, the NHL and the NBA, who all have players stashed to develop in minor leagues.
If I had to guess, it all comes down to $$. I guarantee the NFL has studied this and has determined that they can't make money on a minor league system.