What if Cowboys/NFL had a true minor league?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I do like it as a way to also train refs, coaches, as well as young players. Keep it to just 8 games though plus playoffs. The owners probably wouldn't take away PS games as it would affect their revenue.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The NFL probably doesnt want the off season league to be interesting , or for people to watch it.
They want their fans to be starved for football come sept!

They dont want any competition, for fear it would affect their income. The nfl owners are greedy , and want to stay the only game in town.

I would watch the ufl, but they have screwed it up in so many ways, it would be boring to watch now. That league is managed by idiots.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Oh to answer the op, sure that sounds interesting, but nfl will not let that happen.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I think it’s a great idea. Frankly, I’ve never understood why the NFL didn’t build a system like MLB, the NHL and the NBA, who all have players stashed to develop in minor leagues.
They didn't want to hurt college football and considered them to be their minor league. And as been posted, it didn't cost them financially.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would you watch the San Antonio Vaqueros if all the players were on the Cowboys 90-man off-season roster?

Scenario:
- All NFL teams would have a minor league team.
- 8 game season
- 4 teams make the playoffs.
- i.e. 4 teams play 9 games and 2 of those 4 play 10 games.

Would you like it if they replaced NFL pre-season games with the NFL minor league games?
- Most NFL teams rarely play veteran starters in the pre-season games anymore.
- Many veteran QBs play in either one or zero preseaason games these days.
- The minor league practices/games could replace most of training camp for the players that are on the minor league team.
- Training camp could be reduced to about 2 weeks and would integrate the minor league players with the veterans.
- Summary: Far less total snaps than players that play in the UFL then come to an NFL camp and make the NFL team.
- Not radically more total practice/game snaps than the combinion of OTAs/mini-camps, training-camp and preseason games.

Practices could remain in the NFL city with only the games being played at the minor league team's "home" stadium.
- i.e. Cowboys minor league players live/practice in Dallas (Frisco) but play home games in San Antonio.
- Maybe they spend a couple of weeks in San Antonio like the Cowboys spend multiple weeks in Califronia for camp.
Problem is, you can't get a true measure with backups playing backups. That's why parcells started Romo against starters...to get a true feel

Chasing6

Reaction score
Would you watch the San Antonio Vaqueros if all the players were on the Cowboys 90-man off-season roster?

Scenario:
- 8 game season

Would you like it if they replaced NFL pre-season games with the NFL minor league games?
- The minor league practices/games could replace most of training camp for the players that are on the minor league team.
- Training camp could be reduced to about 2 weeks and would integrate the minor league players with the veterans.
- Summary: Far less total snaps than players that play in the UFL then come to an NFL camp and make the NFL team.
- Not radically more total practice/game snaps than the combinion of OTAs/mini-camps, training-camp and preseason games.

Practices could remain in the NFL city with only the games being played at the minor league team's "home" stadium.
- i.e. Cowboys minor league players live/practice in Dallas (Frisco) but play home games in San Antonio.
- Maybe they spend a couple of weeks in San Antonio like the Cowboys spend multiple weeks in Califronia for camp.
Then Trance would be on that team.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Scenario:
- 8 game season

The NFL is only concerned about making money. I am sure they have thought this through and realized a minor league system would not be profitable.

jrumann59

Reaction score

Scenario:
- 8 game season

I probably would, but the product would be terrible. It would fall between NFL Europe and UFL/XFL/WSFL/AAFL. Every NFL team having a Minor League Team means Dallas would have around 110 player Roster, Half being "NFL level" talent the rest being fringe NFL players. I liked NFL Europe and it was not a money maker for the juggernaut that was the NFL.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I probably would, but the product would be terrible. It would fall between NFL Europe and UFL/XFL/WSFL/AAFL. Every NFL team having a Minor League Team means Dallas would have around 110 player Roster, Half being "NFL level" talent the rest being fringe NFL players. I liked NFL Europe and it was not a money maker for the juggernaut that was the NFL.
Force teams to use players from the 90 man roster.

Practice at the NFL practice facilities.

NFL Europe was intended to generate American Football fans that would then become NFL fans. The logistics made it difficult and expensive.

A Cowboys minor league team in San Antonio would sell out all games...

jrumann59

Reaction score
Force teams to use players from the 90 man roster.

Practice at the NFL practice facilities.

NFL Europe was intended to generate American Football fans that would then become NFL fans. The logistics made it difficult and expensive.

A Cowboys minor league team in San Antonio would sell out all games...
The issue then is the CBA, so minor league player makes the "big leagues" how do you get around the player safety issue the CBA will bring up minor league player has already played 8 games, now if he makes the team he potentially plays another 17 if not more

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Scenario:
- 8 game season

I don’t know if they would have enough players. They would need 1,696 players if they had the same 53 players active. I kinda like the UFL as a proving ground. Decent competition with decent players many of whom were in the NFL at some point.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
They should never have scrapped NFL Europe…
It produced players for the NFL, Kurt Warner being the most successful, and also there was a very good fanbase for it… especially in Germany.
That’s exactly what the UFL is doing. :huh:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd rather have "the retro football league " where 90% of these stupid flag football rules dissappear.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Fab idea, lowlander!
The NFL, Always looking to create more revenue and to take over the world, should LOVE this idea.
My stipulation would be that a farm club in San Antonio-Austin would bind these players to their farm team (SanAust) for 4 years or less (if he is really talented) and the 4 years to the home team (Sanaustin).
Bring back player/fan loyalty to the NFL!

Post of the day, me lords, post of the day!
Hey hey hey only I declare this