What if Dak was a Free Agent?

Philmonroe

Reaction score
What I’d love to know is what the alternative at QB is for the anti Dak people? And I’m talking clear upgrade.
You don't want to know you just love Dak average self and looking for any way to say no to the suggestion of potential improvement. I wish people like yourself would stop lying about wanting to hear differing viewpoints when they have been stated multiple times. Another reason I wish people like yourself are full of it is because this isn't a car we can't just get a clear upgrade unless we can get one of those elite qb's and I doubt that happens. The most likely situation involves drafting a QB which may or may not be an improvement but just because people like yourself is scared of uncertainty doesn't mean others are. We might swing and miss or we can get a QB better than Alex Smith Jr aka Dak. Right now he's Andy Dalton on a more popular team. Don't believe me look at Dalton's record when he first got to Cincy since some like to equate wins to qb's only. They probably have similar stats too but I don't know. Dak isn't the answer but only time will show some this.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
If someone is going to give him 40 million dollars I say best of luck to him ! he would be the number one available quarterback? I'd say that's highly debatable, if we could save 40 million dollars I'm sure we can find a serviceable quarterback for a couple years
This is exactly how the Commanders ended up where they are.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I have pointed this out before. In the last 15 years or so, only two QB's have won super bowls on high market value contracts. Both were named Manning. Outside of that, it has all been QB's on their rookie deals, cheap vets or on the Brady discount. There is a reason for that. Teams with QB's on their rookie deals (like KC) are at a huge competitive advantage. Maybe this year Rodgers or JimmyG win and make that 3 of 16 or maybe Mahomes/Tannehill make it 2 of 16. The concept stands.

If Dak gets a huge contract, absolutely no one should be celebrating. Up until now, its pretty much a death knell for a team. I'm not saying that just dumping Dak is good either. Up until now, a good QB coming up for an extension after their rookie deal is a lose-lose proposition for most teams. The only team that escaped that trap was New England with Brady taking a below market contract.

shabazz

Reaction score
The FO and fans will rue the day Dakota is signed to a 40Mil per year contract

blueblood70

Reaction score
NE defense confounded him. No doubt. Has happened of lots of guys. That was his worst game of the year.

Buffalo. 355 yards passing with 2 TDS and 1 INT. 91 rating. 2 WR drops. 2 missed FG.
Arguing that is a bad QB performance is a stretch and half.

Chicago doubled DAL up on the ground. We again lost time of possession battle by over 5 minutes. A constant in the losses.
But Dak hit his hand on a helmet this game.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...juries-to-both-hands-against-bears/ar-BBXSxWZ
Even with the injury which really limited him middle of the game he had 334 with 1 TD and no INT.
Was he great, No, Was he the reason they lost. Absolutely not.
Defense couldn't stop the lowest rated QB in the league from scoring TDs or running on them.

The next week they win 44-21....

Eagles was week he didn't practice all week with shoulder issue.
He was limited but still passed for 265 yards while the rushing game produced a whopping 49 yards between Zeke and Pollard.

Trying to claim this is some stretch where he dragged the team down is goofy.
He was limited in 2 games and had 1 bad game versus a defensive guru in NE.
The other two games he was more than fine.
you are making excuses stop using final stats in the buffalo game if you saw the reasons for not scoring tds was the many , far too many to count uncatchable balls thrown caused punts or long FGs.. he was BAD. it was thanksgiving and i remember it like it was yesterday, simply put his yards were hollow and drives ended because he couldn't hit open WRs. I saw it im not in need look up stat lines that mean nothing because I witness the horror show in real time..

im not trying to be hatter but from NE-Philly Dak regressed each game getting worse.. it was another bad stretch we've come to see each year he has 3-4 games that he looks like a rookie but this year not too many excuses to point to as reasons like we had in 2017 or the beginning of 2018, he simply choked the year away each week..

in no way am I saying hes the sole reason for the 8-8 season but he had a lot to do with it.. we needed him to will us to a win in those 4 games and he couldn't get it done..JUST ONE!! that a reason he isnt getting a record nfl deal..now move on , time will shake the truth out..

Philmonroe

Reaction score
You honestly think I’m gonna go through hundreds of threads to find the exact threads that said they’d rather have carr you’re funny

Dak is defended because he’s a cowboy no disagreement there but outside these rooms he isn’t critiqued near as much so to my point if Dak wasn’t a cowboy and we were in the qb market people in here would clamor for him if he was a FA I’m not sure how hard but they would I’ve seen and heard enough from cowboy fans to know they would
The part about Dak isn't criticized as much is a lie. You just aren't looking if you believe that. Dak is average hence why he's sooooo polarizing. If you're top level you're not polarizing as far as on field performance. Disagree name the players that are top level that have close to 50/50 saying they're good/great and average/bad.

starfan1

Reaction score
The part about Dak isn't criticized as much is a lie. You just aren't looking if you believe that. Dak is average hence why he's sooooo polarizing. If you're top level you're not polarizing as far as on field performance. Disagree name the players that are top level that have close to 50/50 saying they're good/great and average/bad.
Honestly I believe it’s a cowboy fan thing we are a bunch of folks that were used to a certain level of success that we haven’t achieved for sometime and we want to look for a scapegoat

we did the same thing with Romo

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Half the fanbase would be rejoicing, the other half would be on suicide watch.

And 50% of the "rejoice" crowd would turn into the grass isn't as green as I thought as we enter life without Dak. 50% of that crowd are just uninformed clowns and chronic complainers that would destroy ANY QB/Coach we have just because. Take Zeke Elliott for example. Clearly a warrior and one of the leagues best players. 50% of CZ seemingly despises him yet those same folks would regret losing him.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
He did have a dramatic improvement, I agree...but then he regressed under pressure. If more time and training can get rid of his tendencies toward bad footwork and throwing behind receivers, and if he's more willing to run when it's the best option, he could be a very good QB.
Did he have a dramatic improvement or did he just play tomato cans? Think about it most of his better non stat padding games were against teams that stunk. Most of his bad games were against playoff caliber teams. Again I ask did he really improve or did he just look better against the bums on the schedule. Its funny to me how all the negatives you mentioned come right back as soon as the talent of the other team steps up and the improvement happens when its a bad team. I know some have hope but realistically like in most things you don't get better forever. Dak is getting towards the point of being set as a player. How many players really have crazy improve to after 4/5 years starting in the league? Not many. They might have little improvements here and there but the major improvements usually happen in the first few years. Next year if he has the same problems as this year are we still going to hear the he's young and if he can just fix xyz he'll be good?

blueblood70

Reaction score
What I’d love to know is what the alternative at QB is for the anti Dak people? And I’m talking clear upgrade.
missing the point man,

its not clear upgrade its overpaying like 35plus for a Dak who is above average but not worth a LTD at that cost vs someone close for 15-20, you know MN won with case keenum, a great defense and good ST play.. coaches make the difference they went 10-6 and wen to the playoffs, the following year with cousins with a giant deal they missed the playoffs.. sure they got their this year and failed, point is with a great supporting cast we can get a QB who is close to dak for half price and still win..

thats the debate its always scary making a change at Qb wondering if its going to fail but look around the league all the wins they other teams got out of their backups', even with rookies and NO didnt miss beat with TB even though he wasn't spectacular, a good defense, special teams, and quality coaching, we can take the risk and trade dak..

reality is hes most likely tagged and staying her but folks start these fantasy post to get some off season juices flowing ..lol

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Honestly I believe it’s a cowboy fan thing we are a bunch of folks that were used to a certain level of success that we haven’t achieved for sometime and we want to look for a scapegoat

we did the same thing with Romo
There are people that aren't Cowboys fans that feel Dak is average at best. I'm not using any easy outs because Dak is average. When your best games mainly come against bums and your worse ones mainly come against decent teams I can't really say that's good or elite. If Dak was actually better he wouldn't get criticism as much.

CB61

Reaction score
This is exactly how the Commanders ended up where they are.
Yepper and he ain't going nowhere Prescott will be here with the Cowboys they aren't going to let him walk and honestly I don't blame him for trying to get as much money as he can seeing what other people are getting? My opinion is they're all overpaid but that's neither here nor there

CB61

Reaction score
Nothing that would be any cheaper that's for sure

CB61

Reaction score
I think we all forget while not that we forget but people got to understand he was a fourth-round draft pick for a reason now that doesn't mean he can't become an elite quarterback I personally am going to wait and see what a different coaching staff will do John kitna made a real difference I believe I wish they'd have kept him around but we'll see what McCarthy does with him? It's totally possible him not getting over the hump was due to the dysfunction here in Dallas?

reddyuta

Reaction score
Did he have a dramatic improvement or did he just play tomato cans? Think about it most of his better non stat padding games were against teams that stunk. Most of his bad games were against playoff caliber teams. Again I ask did he really improve or did he just look better against the bums on the schedule. Its funny to me how all the negatives you mentioned come right back as soon as the talent of the other team steps up and the improvement happens when its a bad team. I know some have hope but realistically like in most things you don't get better forever. Dak is getting towards the point of being set as a player. How many players really have crazy improve to after 4/5 years starting in the league? Not many. They might have little improvements here and there but the major improvements usually happen in the first few years. Next year if he has the same problems as this year are we still going to hear the he's young and if he can just fix xyz he'll be good?

umm most QBs do well against bad teams and struggle against good teams,we had a lot of bad luck,lost some close games which we won last season.the Defense was atrocious in generating TOs and the ST was historically bad.the Offense rarely had short fields to work with and they didnt play well in the red zone.

reddyuta

Reaction score
missing the point man,

its not clear upgrade its overpaying like 35plus for a Dak who is above average but not worth a LTD at that cost vs someone close for 15-20, you know MN won with case keenum, a great defense and good ST play.. coaches make the difference they went 10-6 and wen to the playoffs, the following year with cousins with a giant deal they missed the playoffs.. sure they got their this year and failed, point is with a great supporting cast we can get a QB who is close to dak for half price and still win..

thats the debate its always scary making a change at Qb wondering if its going to fail but look around the league all the wins they other teams got out of their backups', even with rookies and NO didnt miss beat with TB even though he wasn't spectacular, a good defense, special teams, and quality coaching, we can take the risk and trade dak..

reality is hes most likely tagged and staying her but folks start these fantasy post to get some off season juices flowing ..lol

you can get a QB close to Dak at half the price and still win??? i want to know this fantasy,who and how will we acquire said QB?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
There’s always 1-2 teams that will pay a guy...

tm1119

Reaction score
missing the point man,

You’re naming either small sizes or fluke seasons. Are we not going for sustained success? Your options are A. Resign Dak or B. Tank and hope you draft the right QB in the top 5. Anything in between is a waste of time.
I don’t think Dak is 1 of the best QB’s (probably borderline top 10), but I also don’t think anyone near his level is available. So you either suck for 2 seasons and waste the majority of our teams prime years left, or you stick with Dak and hope the better coaching will make a difference. Thinking we are going to build a super team around a mediocre QB and actually have success is naive at best.