What if it's Ron Rivera?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's like a defensive Garrett. Would love him to help our defensive unit.

I agree that he would help to fix the defense, and we'd actually get some defensive tackles. But I don't see what Garrett has ever really brought on the offensive side. What coordinator worth anything needed a babysitter to run half of it for him (running game)?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
That's an interesting take on it as I feel one of the main reasons why Rivera would get the job would be that he would be OK with the way Jerry runs things. Rivera doesn't strike me as an 'ego guy' who insists on having control and he's gone along with whatever decisions and changes the Carolina ownership have made. I think that would be one of his key selling points if Jones wanted to maintain a status quo of control.

Actually I think the same can be said about Urban Meyers which I think will make him the perfect fit for Jerry.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The marketing to the Hispanic community would go through the roof....even more than what it already is. Jerry would make a lot more money......hmmmmmm?

Seriously, he could keep Moore, bring Norv in as Asst. HC and serve as a mentor to Moore.....he would help our defense dramatically.......at the end, I would be okay with it, but he is not a big enough fish to make the kind of splash that Jerry wants.

JMPearson

Reaction score
He would be worlds better than JG he takes chances on offense and he is way more organized then JG.

I think it is Chris Petersen and I think it is a done deal

fansince68

Reaction score
Now that Rivera has been let go by the Panthers, the possibility exists that he could in fact be the next head coach of the Cowboys. I think that there are better hires and I think there are worse hires, but I'm interested to hear the thoughts from the forum and what your reaction would be if Jerry did hire Rivera as this team's next head coach?
Maybe defensive coordinator....

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think a hire like Rivera would tell us not to expect any changes in the way Jerry Jones is handling things. And that's not a slam of Rivera as I do think the man could greatly improve our defense. But he's not a guy that would come in demanding control and forcing Jerry to cede control either.
I’m not really sure why fans believe Jerry’s going to change his ways now?

And Rivera would be a solid hire. He’s a former coach of the year ( twice I think) and took his team to a SB. Would appear an upgrade to me. And he might be willing to be more of a puppet.

After all all we really need is someone who can game plan better and make better adjustments and decisions on Game Day. The rest Jerry will still dictate.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Now that Rivera has been let go by the Panthers, the possibility exists that he could in fact be the next head coach of the Cowboys. I think that there are better hires and I think there are worse hires, but I'm interested to hear the thoughts from the forum and what your reaction would be if Jerry did hire Rivera as this team's next head coach?
Please no.
Why would we want another coach thats already failed?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
From this point forward after the 10 year experiment with Jason I believe Jerry will fall back into his previous puppet mode in not having much of a life line or rope. Meaning if we don’t see immediate success or improvements they will be gone quickly,

Most likely the coaching carousel will be turned up a notch with the exit signs like a trap door Jerry will be pulling quickly .

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

I wouldn't be thrilled, but I would hope for the best.

quickccc

Reaction score

to me, I'd be concern if Rivera sounds like the same sense as having a Jason Garrett, and would that really inspire new expectations ?
I still think his Carolina team that went to the SB was such a one year wonder revelation and wasn't something that they built on after that magical year.
especially once the Newton's injuries and his gigantic digress sat in, and stunning FA debecal (ala Josh Norman departure) .. they were finished. and they simply never recovered.

Could Rivera be a Mike Zimmer (Vikes) type ? ..and could he be Jack Del Rio, John Fox, kind of retread ?

, but I still think the trend is going toward the new innovative offensive coach -... .
And I tend to think would Jerry be coveting that Shanahan, McVay, Klingbury, that is going to bring a foundation that adapts and expands to the newer offensive approach, one
that brings a Niners, Rams, Chiefs style of attack and explosion that works best to QB strengths and tools while still maintaining a strong emphasis on the other weaponry.
- the space age coach vs the stone age coach.

and these teams that find and are committed to these young franchise QBs, seem to be investing in these type young HC's primarily for these QBs.

Garrett was familiar with the rhythm time based offense, but he only knew the more simple version of it, he nor Linehan knew how to expand it, how to constantly create further
designs and formations to keep defenses confused and guessing how to slow it.

As a pure HC, I do think he has motivational skills that keep his players inspired and playing hard, keep them competitive-spirited.
Where I think he continues to fail is :
- his overseer game management,
- his conservative by nature,
- his indecisiveness in identifying in-game issues and adjusting accordingly to it (ala Chaz Green ATL crisis)
- the way his team tends to prepare (or ill-prepare) for games

stiletto

Reaction score
Rivera would be a better Defensive Coordinator than Garrett would be an Offensive Coordinator. Neither should be a HC IMO. Especially Garrett, never made a CCG or Super Bowl. Rivera at least accomplished those two things.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually I think the same can be said about Urban Meyers which I think will make him the perfect fit for Jerry.

Meyer doesn't strike me like that. He's a guy that's left places on his own terms and has people beating down his door to hire him. He would take the Cowboys job on his terms, or else he'd have plenty of other offers lined up. Rivera strikes me as a guy who would even take the Washington job if it meant another opportunity to be a head coach.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not really sure why fans believe Jerry’s going to change his ways now?

23 years of failure and Father Time being undefeated.

And Rivera would be a solid hire. He’s a former coach of the year ( twice I think) and took his team to a SB. Would appear an upgrade to me. And he might be willing to be more of a puppet.

After all all we really need is someone who can game plan better and make better adjustments and decisions on Game Day. The rest Jerry will still dictate.

I do think that Rivera might be a 'lesser of two evils'. He strikes me as a guy who would be OK with Jerry being Jerry, but unlike Garrett, is actually an accomplished coordinator. If nothing else, he could help to improve the defensive side of the ball. And I'd be willing to bet that he would leave most if not all of the offensive staff intact while he focused on fixing that defense.

Bigdog

Reaction score
The Process would continue with a little more emotion.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't be thrilled, but I would hope for the best.

I think that would be my approach as well.

My belief is that Rivera would come in trying to fix the defense and special teams, while realizing that the offensive side has too many pluses to need to make wholesale changes.

I think that both Rivera and Jerry would agree that the offense be left intact and most if nit all of those coaches would be retained. That's not the worst thing that could happen. And I'm almost encouraged to see what Rivera could do with the defense as long as he sent the current coaches - looking at you Rod! - packing.