What if Tyron Smith is healthy again in December?

quickccc

Reaction score
So what if OT Tyron Smith is healthy again in December ?
As Jerry claims the club is optimistic he'll be.

Sure Tyron is a future Hall of Famer when he retires, but what will be the game plan at starting LT when he supposedly is healthy again ?

Does he get his starting LT job back, and we move Tyler back to LG ?
Or does Tyron become the swing tackle -even over Jason Peters ?

i wouldn't think so with Tyler playing and developing so very well at LT.that the club
would want to change that role.

Does Jerry value Tyron that much that the current dynamics could change ?

John813

Reaction score
Hard to switch from Tyler to Tyron after what I've seen these 3 games. Now of course Tyler is a rookie, and there may be some struggles as the season goes on. Or maybe not.

For now, I think Tyler should stay at LT, but things can change in 2 months.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Sure Tyron is a future Hall of Famer when he retires, but what will be the game plan at starting LT when he supposedly is healthy again ?

i wouldn't think so with Tyler playing and developing so very well at LT.that the club

I think Cowboys will stay with Tyler Smith. He is doing a great job out there. He has made a couple of mistakes but that is expected out of a rookie playing the hardest position on the OL

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Assuming Tyron is 100% healthy and the rest of the oline stays healthy and productive (Which odds are against that all happening) I bet Tyron sees the field in some capacity. Not sure what that looks like, but it is a situation that tends to figure itself out.

Worst case you have a 100% healthy oline, you could do a few things including rotations to keep guys fresh or even go with frequent heavy packages. Imagine a 6 man oline w/ Smith - Smith - Peters - Biadasz - Martin - Steele. You can even add McGovern to the mix as a super sub or fullback at times.

Honestly it would be a chance for the Cowboys to get creative offensively in an area that teams have pretty much remained the same for decades now.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
Fullback…obviously

Cowboyny

Reaction score

You play him inside at Guard where Peters becomes the swing. Right now you cannot move Tyler away from the position. He is going to be our starter for the long-term now at the position.

Retro88

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Aikman the broadcaster but they're all just background noise to me. I'm never going to or not going to watch a game over the anouncers.

J-man

Reaction score
If he comes back in time, he moves to RT, and then retires after the playoffs. Or we trade him for a 7th rd pick, cuz we're so good at trading.

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
You put him at TE on the left side and have the QB take a nap just to shame the defense.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Attrition is hard in the NFL. Getting 16 starts out of both tackles isn’t simplistic. Tyron’s late-season return could be timely.

With that said, I’m not benching or moving Tyler based on what I’ve seen.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I would not bat an eye if we cut ties with Tyron. Great player for us but he is the definition of injury prone.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Should Tyron get his spot back at LT once he is healthy? Or should Tyler be the permanent left tackle going forward?

I know most of the answers will be leave him at left tackle, but honestly he should go to LG and figure everything else out in the offseason

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Let's see how the season plays out, but if Peters is still a go at LG by then, I'd really consider looking at Tyron at RT. If he can play the spot, a line of Tyler Smith, Jason Peters, TB, Zach Martin, and Tyron Smith could be deadly in the post season.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

I'll believe Tyron makes it back this season if/when I see it.

As for Tyler, he's only ever played LG in camp - he was a LT in college. I'm not moving a rookie to a new position in December, especially if he's handling his current one.

Tyron has been great, but he's unreliable at this point. He won't get less injury prone moving forward, and may have played his last game as a Cowboy.