What if we lose out and

cmoney23

Reaction score
I'm not this guy, I hate this guy... but I thought this would be fun to ask.

Let's say we lose out and go 6-10 and end up with a pick in the 10-15 range. Tua Tungavialoa is sitting there for us to draft.

Do we draft him? I would assume we are going to tag Dak anyway so we won't have a longterm commitment to Dak and we can let Tua sit and heal-up. This would get us another great QB on a rookie deal to try and get another 5-year cap-friendly window?

We could then move on from Dak and let another team pay him the big big bucks.
(for the record, I'm a "Dak guy" and think he's very, very good)

visionary

Reaction score

Let's say we lose out and go 6-10 and end up with a pick in the 10-15 range. Tua Tungavialoa is sitting there for us to draft.

Do we draft him? I would assume we are going to tag Dak anyway so we won't have a longterm commitment to Dak and we can let Tua sit and heal-up. This would get us another great QB on a rookie deal to try and get another 5-year cap-friendly window?

Let the new HC decide who he wants
Dak has significant limitations and will demand 35+mill/year
We could do worse than drafting a top QB and using that money elsewhere

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

no, we trade down....get more draft picks. do what New England does.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It would be something to consider for sure, given the looming change in coaching and Prescott's uncertain contract status.

Would I give it good odds? Absolutely not. Could I completely rule it out? No.

John813

Reaction score
I'm going to assume Jerry will tell each HC candidate that Dak is his QB and well if they don't like it then the meeting is through.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not sure. I think our FO will try to draft defense this year (hopefully Rod keeps his mouth shut during mock drafts and during the actual draft), along with a TE, but if Tua or Hurts is available, they may entertain the option. I wouldn't blame them if they were to do so. Dak is a good QB, but he's not worth 35-40 mil. I know that's the market price, but just because it's market price, doesn't mean you aren't getting ripped off. Look at Wentz and Goff. They both look average. Now Rams are in cap hell. Philly is pretty bad as well. Paying Dak a large sum of money is detrimental to this team. A rookie is cheap, with a lot of potential.

That being said, Jerry Jones will probably overpay Dak like he did everyone else this offseason, so I highly doubt we'll draft another QB. We'll see. Jerry has done some shocking things in the past (let Dez and Murray go).

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score

I hear Tua is going back for another year, besides I wouldn’t waste a pick on him until he shows that he doesn’t have the Bo hip injury. Bo would have probably been one of the greatest to ever play without the hip injury

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I'm going to assume Jerry will tell each HC candidate that Dak is his QB and well if they don't like it then the meeting is through.

Which is the kind of thing that gets you a Jason Garrett type head coach - first time, happy to be there. It wouldn't surprise me.

Simply shocking that this team hasn't competed for a title this century. :rolleyes:

jsb357

Reaction score
The FO is paying Dak. It’s a done deal. Dak is your franchise QB.

tenor.gif

glimmerman

Reaction score
Dak will get his deal before the draft.

At that point, drafting Tua is out. Trade down more likely.
I think this is likely. Unless with a new staff in place there may be a want or need for a DT by the new DC. Or safety. Cooper gets signed or some type of tag.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am assuming of course. I think they are close on money but guarantee and years are the hold up. Daks agent wants another big check in 4 years.

Absolutely true. And A big part of why he will get that franchise tag instead.