What if WR Randall Cobb demands a Beasley like contract?

quickccc

Reaction score
I know it's an wide assumption that the Cowboys will seek to re-sign WR Randall Cobb to return as the primary 3rd WR/slot guy.

But what if Randall Cobb's camp ends up demanding a Cole Beasley like contract ?
With Cobb, coming of a productive year with Cowboys to rejuvenate his career, he may decide to take advantage and make the max of what he can to finish his career..ala Cole Beasley.

Not only did Cobb quickly worked very well connecting with Dak, he actually proved durable for better part of the year. Which may have been leading reason why Packers decided not to re-sign him.

But what if Cobb goes the Cole Beasley way and out-prices himself.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I actually thought it was a foregone conclusion we wouldn't be able to resign him. Considering how many people railed on his drops last season, I don't expect that to be an unpopular result.

John813

Reaction score
giphy-12.gif

Dunks3001

Reaction score
Would anyone give him that type of contract? Like others have said it's a deep WR draft. I figure he and his agent understand his value in the league. Which at this point would be a team friendly deal on what ever team no matter where he ends up. So might as well be here if he can help the others get up to speed with MM's system

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
An NFL front office will deliberate contract considerations for certain positions like quarterback, left tackle and pass rushing defensive end for days, weeks, months and even years.

Slot receiver? Meh. Maybe a couple hours at most..?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I know it's an wide assumption that the Cowboys will seek to re-sign WR Randall Cobb to return as the primary 3rd WR/slot guy.

But what if Randall Cobb's camp ends up demanding a Cole Beasley like contract ?
With Cobb, coming of a productive year with Cowboys to rejuvenate his career, he may decide to take advantage and make the max of what he can to finish his career..ala Cole Beasley.

Not only did Cobb quickly worked very well connecting with Dak, he actually proved durable for better part of the year. Which may have been leading reason why Packers decided not to re-sign him.

Dude, that makes no sense. Cobb may have done that before Mike McCarthy was signed as the new HC but ever since then, Randall has made it clear he wants to work with MM again. You can bet your arse he is going to do whatever it takes to make that happen. Your "what ifs" seem to be coming from the fear of impending doom for the Cowboys in 2020. It's certainly not coming from the point of view of any confidence for this team's decision making.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Devin Smith may be able to step in do what Cobb. Still waiting to see what Noah Brown can do, but this is his last chance to do so. I expect them to move on from him as well. Especially if injured again.
They have a few fan favorites, which I think are over rated in Johnson and injury prone Wilson. They seemed to like this Vertell Bryant at least for ST's, but that was Garrett and company.

So if Cobb returns for about the same deal, I am ok with it, Austin also a FA but see them moving on from him as well. So they will need to draft a WR but on day 3, if Cooper is signed, day 1 or 2 if not. But most likely day 1 and 2 is on defense which is needed more.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

200.gif

kskboys

Reaction score
Cobb is overrated and replaceable.
Yeah, I appear to be one of the few who wasn't impressed last year. To me, he's lost the quickness that made him special. He's average at best, and I think he's now dropped into the sub par range as a slot guy. I don't remember him moving the chains w/ any consistency, and that's something we were desperately missing from our WR corps last season.

kskboys

Reaction score
Devin Smith may be able to step in do what Cobb. Still waiting to see what Noah Brown can do, but this is his last chance to do so. I expect them to move on from him as well. Especially if injured again.
They have a few fan favorites, which I think are over rated in Johnson and injury prone Wilson. They seemed to like this Vertell Bryant at least for ST's, but that was Garrett and company.

So if Cobb returns for about the same deal, I am ok with it, Austin also a FA but see them moving on from him as well. So they will need to draft a WR but on day 3, if Cooper is signed, day 1 or 2 if not. But most likely day 1 and 2 is on defense which is needed more.
Devin Smith? Devin has had an injury marred career. We need a slot WR who can take the pounding. Devin has been more injury prone than Wilson!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It's not a reach to think he may find a dry market, forcing him to accept a Cowboy offer slightly above what he made last season.

Carson

Reaction score
It's not a reach to think he may find a dry market, forcing him to accept a Cowboy offer slightly above what he made last season.

pretty sure he will. This wr class is deep! Teams will find solid talent in rounds 3-5

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
All of what you guys are saying sounds good but this is a guy that can play slot as well as outside just in case Cooper or Gallup is injured.

Right now, he is the 3rd best wr and i dont see anyone on the depth chart below him that can do better. Drafting a wr is an option but Cobb already knows Mike's system.

I say the only way we would get rid of Cobb is if we go after another wr that wants to sign a prove it deal like Funchess or Green. With the history of the Cowboys , those two wrs might cost too much for one year deals.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

If he does then he likely is not resigned. I don't think that will be the case. I think he has moved his family to Dallas and wants to stay here with McCarthy to finish out his career. If someone is willing to pay him big money then I would not blame him for leaving but everything I have seen and heard is Cobb really wants to stay in Dallas. I think he will.