What if Zimmer really isn't the problem?

EndGame

Reaction score
A thought occurred to me just now that I'm sure has come to more than one of you. What if Tuna retires and Zimmer is named HC? What do you expect? I'll be honest, I liked Sean Payton, but I had NO IDEA what a good coach he would be in New Orleans. Is it possible that Zimmer isn't the problem in Dallas? Is it possible he's being held back by Parcells, who (like him or love him) tends to be conservative in his gameplans?

I have no particular love for Zimmer, but there is a precedent here. Payton was at least semi-vanilla when he was here and now he's doing a helluva job elsewhere. Maybe Zimmer will blossom if Parcells is out of his way? Remember, this is a guy that just a couple of seasons ago was ready to go be a head coach at the major college level but changed his mind when Jerry threw some money at him.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Well, I guarantee if Bradie James is the starting ILB next year, we're going to see a lot of the same problems.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
one thing i can gaurantee you if zimmer was named coach u would not see the 3-4

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
LatinMind;1301056 said:

Carp.... Akin.... Burnet.

No James.

4-3 doesnt sound half bad.

EndGame

Reaction score
LatinMind;1301056 said:
I wonder if that's true or not. My guess would be the Cowboys running a mix of 3-4 and 4-3. We have the personnel to run either.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
smarta5150;1301061 said:
Carp.... Akin.... Burnet.

No James.

4-3 doesnt sound half bad.

So in the switch to the 4-3 we have Spears, Canty, Ferguson and who? Not to mention that neither Spears or Canty are capable of pressuring the QB. You going to move Ware to DE?

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Doomsday;1301075 said:
So in the switch to the 4-3 we have Spears, Canty, Ferguson and who? Not to mention that neither Spears or Canty are capable of pressuring the QB.

I only said that because James would be on the bench :)

I would love if we could run a crative 3-4.

Not only is it fun watching but very effective (when done properly).

EndGame

Reaction score
Doomsday;1301075 said:
So in the switch to the 4-3 we have Spears, Canty, Ferguson and who? Not to mention that neither Spears or Canty are capable of pressuring the QB.
Ware would likely move to DE. If Ellis comes back he'd be the other DE. Canty, Ferguson, and Spears would rotate at DT I guess, or maybe Canty would rotate at DE.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Doomsday;1301075 said:
So in the switch to the 4-3 we have Spears, Canty, Ferguson and who? Not to mention that neither Spears or Canty are capable of pressuring the QB. You going to move Ware to DE?

Canty isnt, but Spears was a very good pass rusher at LSU in the 4-3 and has alot of athletic ability for his size

Jason hatcher is also a good pass rusher...Spears could possibly be moved to DT in the 4-3

David

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Doomsday;1301075 said:
Ware will be the end with Hatcher/Canty at th other spot Spears and Fergy would be the tackles

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
smarta5150;1301076 said:
I only said that because James would be on the bench :)

I would love if we could run a crative 3-4.

Not only is it fun watching but very effective (when done properly).

Maybe if we had some players capable of beating their man on occassion the 3-4 would be more effective, until that happens I dont care what scheme you run it will be the same results.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
I am just Anti-James right now like many others.

So whatever we do is fine under 2 conditions:

1. James becomes a backup.
2. The scheme gets more creative.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
smarta5150;1301093 said:
I am just Anti-James right now like many others.

So whatever we do is fine under 2 conditions:

1. James becomes a backup.
2. The scheme gets more creative.

I agree on James he has definately taken a step back. Its amazing given all the moves that they made at LB and Dline that it is still the biggest weakness on this team. Burnett, James, Akin, Ware, Spears, Canty, Ferguson, Carp etc. and the front 7 is still ineffective.

I think the last few weeks we all saw what BP was saying about being difficult to get creative when players are making stupid mental mistakes 12 weeks into the season on basic schemes.

rexrobinson

Reaction score
theogt;1301052 said:
Well, I guarantee if Bradie James is the starting ILB next year, we're going to see a lot of the same problems.

once again, we agree

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Doomsday;1301102 said:
I agree on James he has definately taken a step back. Its amazing given all the moves that they made at LB and Dline that it is still the biggest weakness on this team. Burnett, James, Akin, Ware, Spears, Canty, Ferguson, Carp etc. and the front 7 is still ineffective.

I think if we moved them around like stunting and blitzing from different sides and gaps and what not we could do something more.

Just watch the Pats, Ravens, and Chargers this weekend and take notes :)
-directed torwards Zimmer.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
smarta5150;1301112 said:
I think if we moved them around like stunting and blitzing from different sides and gaps and what not we could do something more.

Just watch the Pats, Ravens, and Chargers this weekend and take notes :)
-directed torwards Zimmer.

All those teams have players up front that are making plays. I guarentee if we had Seymour, Bata-Cain, Wilfork and Warren on our Dline the defense would look alot different. Plus they have veteran LBs that dont make the stupid mental mistakes that James and others have been making over and over.

rexrobinson

Reaction score
Bradie James can't cover, that is really our main problem, he generally tackles well (cept for a few times) but he is horrid in pass defense, he is out of place a lot and he doesn't figure out he needs to run with the tight end until the TE is past him.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Any defense without Bradie James anchoring it represents a glimmer of hope for me.

EndGame

Reaction score
How the hell did this turn into a thread about Brady James?