What is Dak's supposed "leverage"?

leeblair

Reaction score
I keep reading about Dak supposedly having leverage in contract negotiations with the Cowboys, but what does he really have?
He has to be desirable for the Cowboys to want to sign him, but why should they want him back?
He has a proven record of choking in the biggest games every season.
Cooper Rush outplayed him when he came in during Dak's injury two years ago, going 5-1.
Dak single handedly cost the Cowboys the game versus the Packers last season in the playoffs, and cost McCarthy the win in his return to Green Bay the year before.
Dak promised to bring rings to the Cowboys with his last contract, but has consistently been the reason they don't win versus good teams and in the playoffs.
So what "leverage" does he supposedly have? He has a proven record of letting the Cowboys down every time they need him.
It would seem that he should be hoping and praying that Jerry is still gullible enough to give him another chance.

fivetwos

Reaction score
“Leverage” means nothing if one of the two parties has already decided to move on.

Assuming that isn’t the case, Prescott will have roughly 4-8 suitors that will pay him near top of the market money.

Dallas does not have 4-8 viable replacements at QB, possibly not even one, without a downgrade.

If Dak walks, either by his own choice or the team doesn’t want him, the only reasonable alternative is to go into tank/rebuild mode and hope you land a top QB with one of your high picks over the next several years.

There’s no middle ground to play here the way I see it.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
“Leverage” means nothing if one of the two parties has already decided to move on.

Assuming that isn’t the case, Prescott will have roughly 4-8 suitors that will pay him near top of the market money.

Dallas does not have 4-8 viable replacements at QB, possibly not even one, without a downgrade.

If Dak walks, either by his own choice or the team doesn’t want him, the only reasonable alternative is to go into tank/rebuild mode and hope you land a top QB with one of your high picks over the next several years.

The minute the Cowboys decided to give Dak a no-trade clause after franchising him twice, they decided they were cool with "getting nothing" if they lost Dak. I would bet that they know that boat has sailed and so now what matters now is purely about tank vs. plugging the holes in the boat. The problem is that boat has some pretty big leaks.

I also agree that there is no middle ground. That's where we've been the last 3 years and that was the last contract. Since then Dak has been a legit MVP candidate and proven tanker in the playoffs. You can guess what stance each side will in the negotiations. This comes down to the gut of Jerry Jones...and this will be his legacy. These are the last series of monumental decisions that Jerry will be capable of making once dementia, senility and/or Father Time gets a hold of him. The end comes for all of us and always before we are ready for it.

I think Jerry will ultimately sign Dak...against his will. He's very stubborn...but...he knows just about out of time.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
I keep reading about Dak supposedly having leverage in contract negotiations with the Cowboys, but what does he really have?
He has to be desirable for the Cowboys to want to sign him, but why should they want him back?

Cooper Rush outplayed him when he came in during Dak's injury two years ago, going 5-1.
Dak single handedly cost the Cowboys the game versus the Packers last season in the playoffs, and cost McCarthy the win in his return to Green Bay the year before.
Dak promised to bring rings to the Cowboys with his last contract, but has consistently been the reason they don't win versus good teams and in the playoffs.
So what "leverage" does he supposedly have? He has a proven record of letting the Cowboys down every time they need him.
It would seem that he should be hoping and praying that Jerry is still gullible enough to give him another chance.
I agree with the bolded (pretty much your whole reply)... I truly believe a special playbook was created for if/when Dak goes down. Plays drawn that Dak doesn't have access to. Vanilla plays if you will... But effective enough to get the job done as long as Defense does their job (which they did for us to go 5-1 in Rush's games).

I wouldn't necessarily call it a leverage other than he knows Jerry is going to sign him.... As to how long, is anyone's guess... Personally I wish they would just let him play out his final year, pay him whatever "backpay" they owe him from the restructures and blow everything up, Take the lumps and build an actual team that can take us to the promise land (even if it takes a few years... We've already waited 30 years.... Why not a few more)...

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I would just love to see what other teams would actually be willing to pay for Dak's services.

I personally think his value to other teams is overrated by many here. I'd expect something far closer to a Cousins type deal than a top of the market deal.

Neither Dak or the team has any real leverage.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
This statement is utter BS! ANY QB can do what Dak has done in the playoffs. We could get Derek Carr tomorrow and take our chances in the playoofs with him. We need a QB that won't totally crater his team the last game of every year. I'd go with an unproven QB over a proven smiley choker Stat Bandito. And I like Dak.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
LOL LOL.......If Jerry doesn't want him back, he may lose a little leverage. But either way, he's getting paid, one way or another. It is why we are not hearing any soundbites from either side of a total commitment to each other. They both know this marriage could be over after the season.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

#Lance

RonWashington

Reaction score
Daks selling points is Dallas devours the donuts in this division year after year and he’s a Walter Payton award finalist . Not enough for me to fork over more $$ , sorry .

Sydla

Reaction score
First of all, I have been called a Dak hater for my criticisms of his play, especially in big spots.

But any analysis that tries to mitigate his leverage by claiming Rush as is as good as him or "outplayed" him during that 5-1 stretch isn't a serious analysis.

In no world would the Cowboys be the same or better off with Cooper Rush as QB. In those 5 games in 2022, he completed less than 60% of his passes, 5 TDs to 3 interceptions with a rating of 80. He went 5-1 mostly because he didn't make a bunch of bad mistakes (except in the Philly game) and the schedule was pretty favorable for him. In no way, would the Cowboys be the same with a guy with a QB rating of 80.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would just love to see what other teams would actually be willing to pay for Dak's services.

I personally think his value to other teams is overrated by many here. I'd expect something far closer to a Cousins type deal than a top of the market deal.

Neither Dak or the team has any real leverage.
Agree, neither one has leverage or an advantage.
I still want them to do nothing. Play out his contract. Bet on himself again. And Jerry not to be blind about it this time.
Get to the NFCCG and play well, then go from there. Or, one and done and plays poorly again, move on.

Now if they miss the playoffs, that still depends on his play, which missing probably says he did not play great. Time to move on.

Now is this placing everything on Dak and not the team. It sounds like it. But a top QB needs to carry the team at times or help in a big way.

Chasing6

Reaction score
100% Delusional.

Dak promised nothing.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Dak has leverage on the following points.

1. He actually has value if he hits the open market as I imagine there are at least a few teams that would want to sign him
2. Dallas' plan B at QB as of right now is Cooper Rush/Trey Lance
3. Dallas will have to carry a $40 million cap hit if Dak simply walks away which can only be reduced by signing Dak

Dallas has leverage on the following points.

1. They are the Dallas Cowboys which can bring a lot of money in endorsements etc.
2. There is not likely going to be a team with the talent of the Cowboys in need of a QB except maybe the Jets (I am not sure what the Rodgers situation is)
3. Dak has roots in the area and wants to stay (speculation)

It is probably in each's best interest to stay together. It feels like the points on which each has leverage kind of wash out. Dak can leave and get the money he wants but he could potentially be walking into an unknown situation to do so. Dallas could find a cheap QB (draft) and offset the dead money allocated to the position but that is an unknown situation.