What is going on with Antwaun Woods?

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
He's a Cowboy.
Nothing more to it.
Paperwork will come when it must.

He's on a 1 year 750k deal.
They can let him go for nothing were he to get in trouble again but hard to get in trouble during quarantine.
220px-Dr_Ian_Malcolm.jpeg

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Usually with restricted fa's teams have to give them an offer sheet and designate what rd if they get signed, haven't heard anything
He is an ERFA, so his offer is already the rules say, either he signs or he doesn't play. No draft compensation at all. He is a Cowboy or does not play, unless traded or released.

Unless they changed the rules.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Per: https://insidethestar.com/is-cowboys-dt-antwaun-woods-really-a-free-agent-in-2020/
He might not fit their defensive scheme at 6'0", but he is a beast of a player.
However, is there still the possibility of some kind of disciplinary action by a neutral decision maker for the arrest back in December? Maybe a fine and counseling at the least.

I think Rico Gathers got a one game suspension for the same thing, I would bet that is what Woods is looking at. But with the new CBA being more lenient on weed it might not even be one game.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Rico Gathers got a one game suspension for the same thing, I would bet that is what Woods is looking at. But with the new CBA being more lenient on weed it might not even be one game.
Is it a matter of when it occurred? If not, no suspension:

(https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-at-all-the-season-roster-and-salary-changes/)

2020 Drug policies
Increased emphasis on clinical care rather than punishment (no suspensions for players receiving clinical care)
Significant reduction of penalties for marijuana use (no suspensions for positive tests; annual testing limited to first two weeks of training camp; higher thresholds for positive tests -- 150 grams instead of 35; violations of law for possession "generally will not result in suspension")
Increased discipline for DUIs (three-game suspension for each violation)
Players permitted at team facilities during the second half of suspension period

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Great backup, poor starter. He is the Jeff Heath of DT's.

Jeff Heath lives in the minds of some people. They just cannot get him out of their heads. All efforts are futile once one is infected with Heath Derangement Syndrome. Dak Derangement Syndrome sufferers may provide a little sympathy. Good luck.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Jeff Heath lives in the minds of some people. They just cannot get him out of their heads. All efforts are futile once one is infected with Heath Derangement Syndrome. Dak Derangement Syndrome sufferers may provide a little sympathy. Good luck.

I use Heath because he was so well known, for whatever reason, but he can present a good example.

A guy that is a very good backup, but you have a hole if he is your full time starter.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Per: https://insidethestar.com/is-cowboys-dt-antwaun-woods-really-a-free-agent-in-2020/
However, is there still the possibility of some kind of disciplinary action by a neutral decision maker for the arrest back in December? Maybe a fine and counseling at the least.

Beast is a bit of an overstatement. He was the one DT we had in the last 2 seasons who played with force or power at the LOS so he gets overrated here. On 95% of teams, he's a 4th DT.

eastsideboy

Reaction score
He's an exclusive rights free agent, meaning the Cowboys control his rights exclusively. And it seems to be that the team is intentionally doing nothing for now and letting him twist in the wind. It's possible that's because if his screwups last year. I think he was sent home for being late as well as an off-field arrest. I think that they will sign him, but they're not in a hurry. And he might be facing a suspension at some point as well.
I guess that's better than a ON FIELD arrest. :eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Beast? Yikes.

I'm an SC guy and have known Antwaun since his high school days but "beast" is a bit much.

He didn't grade out well last year (56.9 PFF) and just from watching the games, I can say he was about 50/50 on holding his gaps. He was atrocious in the Rams playoff game in 2018. He really fits the FO's (hopefully) previous view on 1Tech's, "1Tech with 3Tech-like attributes"... Then we sit around and wonder why we can't stop anyone on short-yardage, obvious run downs.

Wood

Reaction score
seems to me like he's in limbo. Didn't sign and can't sign anywhere else. I thought he played well enough and would be a great piece to mix in with Poe and McCoy.

on a good defense he is your #4 DT. Hoping Hill or maybe DT from this draft push him back to were he belongs.

Techsass

Reaction score
Didn’t he have a drug related arrest in the offseason? He was likely facing a suspension to the start the season but with the new CBA I guess not anymore. It seems all we know is that he hasn’t signed. I don’t think we know whether or not he has been offered anything from Dallas yet. I guess it’s possible he was offered but wants more money and so he hasn’t signed it which means he would have to cave at some point or sit out the season.
I don't know that the new CBA would stop the suspension. He may not have failed a drug test, but getting arrested probably falls under some kind of "detrimental" clause.

Or not...too bad I replied before I got to Pantone's post.

Last edited:

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Beast? Yikes.

I'm an SC guy and have known Antwaun since his high school days but "beast" is a bit much.

He didn't grade out well last year (56.9 PFF) and just from watching the games, I can say he was about 50/50 on holding his gaps. He was atrocious in the Rams playoff game in 2018. He really fits the FO's (hopefully) previous view on 1Tech's, "1Tech with 3Tech-like attributes"... Then we sit around and wonder why we can't stop anyone on short-yardage, obvious run downs.
Good info in context. Probably short sided on my part, but he played better than several other Cowboys last season. Granted, Marinelli's atrocious scheme didn't help.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Beast is a bit of an overstatement. He was the one DT we had in the last 2 seasons who played with force or power at the LOS so he gets overrated here. On 95% of teams, he's a 4th DT.
Okay, thanks for the perspective.