What is the average number of OFFENSIVE snaps per NFL game?

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Just wondering how, based on the average (maybe we could say Dallas would be slightly over the average with a good defense and a longer driving offense) how fans would suggest the touches be split up:

Say Dallas is a 60% pass 40% run team. I just think that IS our identity. This team sets up the run from the pass. For the last 4-5 years we have been a better passing team than rushing.

So if 50 plays is the average/mean then 30 passes, and 20 rushes?

Start plugging in our players:

Austin targetted 8 times?
Dez targetted 6 times?
Witten targetted 6 times?
Roy W targetted 4 times?
Bennett targetted 2 times?
Backs/FB's targetted 4 times?

Barber 11 runs?
Jones 7 runs?
Choice 2 runs?

Wealth of options for sure. But you see how hard it is for Bennett to prove he's turned the corner, or decide if we have a true #1 Rb, etc.

What would your preference be?

Again, does anyone have the average/median number of offensive plays in an NFL game these days?

LarryCanadian

Galian Beast

Reaction score
LarryCanadian;3594655 said:
Just wondering how, based on the average (maybe we could say Dallas would be slightly over the average with a good defense and a longer driving offense) how fans would suggest the touches be split up:

Say Dallas is a 60% pass 40% run team. I just think that IS our identity. This team sets up the run from the pass. For the last 4-5 years we have been a better passing team than rushing.

So if 50 plays is the average/mean then 30 passes, and 20 rushes?

Start plugging in our players:

Austin targetted 8 times?
Dez targetted 6 times?
Witten targetted 6 times?
Roy W targetted 4 times?
Bennett targetted 2 times?
Backs/FB's targetted 4 times?

Barber 11 runs?
Jones 7 runs?
Choice 2 runs?

Wealth of options for sure. But you see how hard it is for Bennett to prove he's turned the corner, or decide if we have a true #1 Rb, etc.

What would your preference be?

Again, does anyone have the average/median number of offensive plays in an NFL game these days?

LarryCanadian

i dont think you should try to break it up

look at the last game where austin got 3 targets and like 2 catches... still a great offensive game, but you just take what the defensive gives you.

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Totally agree Beast!

I am just starting this thread because of all the threads saying Barber should be fazed out or Jones given more touches or Roy W benched or why isn't Bennett a bigger stud, or Witten can't run after the catch etc.

I say take what they give you, or focus on what is working (if Barber runs for 7, 8, 7 - then keep running him until they can stop him).

If Austin isn't double teamed and is consistently getting open throw to him.

I totally agree, and I think that is something this team has been doing wrong for awhile. - Either forcing to TO or feeling that we have to give everyone the ball or play a "balanced game" etc. Hell with it, just get points and win, doesn't matter who is doing it - just execute.

BUT, we are all fans, so what do you suggest the distribution "should" look like - what would you rather see?

15 carries by Felix each game (on average).
More throws to Bennett?
More Dez targets.

My point was, that we can't GIVE ALL THESE guys the ball. Not enough to go around. So are expectations "fair"? I think they need to be tempered. Dez isn't going to get 10 catches a game. Felix isn't likely going to carry 23 times a game like Emmitt used to.

LarryCanadian​

elcowboi

Reaction score
LarryCanadian;3594666 said:
Totally agree Beast!​

I am just starting this thread because of all the threads saying Barber should be fazed out or Jones given more touches or Roy W benched or why isn't Bennett a bigger stud, or Witten can't run after the catch etc.​

I say take what they give you, or focus on what is working (if Barber runs for 7, 8, 7 - then keep running him until they can stop him).​

If Austin isn't double teamed and is consistently getting open throw to him.​

I totally agree, and I think that is something this team has been doing wrong for awhile. - Either forcing to TO or feeling that we have to give everyone the ball or play a "balanced game" etc. Hell with it, just get points and win, doesn't matter who is doing it - just execute.​

BUT, we are all fans, so what do you suggest the distribution "should" look like - what would you rather see?​

15 carries by Felix each game (on average).
More throws to Bennett?
More Dez targets.​

My point was, that we can't GIVE ALL THESE guys the ball. Not enough to go around. So are expectations "fair"? I think they need to be tempered. Dez isn't going to get 10 catches a game. Felix isn't likely going to carry 23 times a game like Emmitt used to.​

LarryCanadian​

I hope they continue to do what they did last game. Whichever player is open, throw them the football. It keeps defenses honest when they have no clue who's getting the ball.

CCBoy

Reaction score
A fan manageable approach is somewhere in the neighborhood of five offensive drives per half-time.

One has to then be his own judge on relevance of particular drives and sequences involved. There is much continuity to what response occurs when something of a game changer occurs. One scoring drive, as opposed to two..and positioning included with turnovers, etc.

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Thanks for that stat!

Ok, 63 snaps on Offense. How would you want to "hypothetically" split up the targets for that? Remember, some of those will be sacks, or kneel downs, drops, or throw aways etc, so opportunity for touches might come in 55-60 or so still.

Not so easy being Jason G now, hehe.

I thought that they did a good job of going with what was there against Houston. I wonder if that had more to do with Romo calling his own plays and going to the weak spots or away from coverage as needed/wanted.

LarryCanadian

joseephuss

Reaction score
The league is averaging 62.57 offensive plays per game.

Dallas is averaging 66.33 offensive plays per game, which ranks 9th.