News: What is the Cowboys’ coaching staff thinking?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
What is the Cowboys’ coaching staff thinking?
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...is-the-dallas-cowboys-coaching-staff-thinking

...And yet, I’m very befuddled by certain personnel decisions made by the Cowboys’ coaching staff. We’ll start with Jeff Heath; I simply don’t understand why the coaching staff continues to start Heath over other options at safety. I have nothing against Heath. His personal story is a terrific one. He showed up at the Cowboys’ 2013 training camp an undrafted free agent and made enough of an impression to earn a roster spot. There are less than 1,700 NFL roster spots available to the world’s population. Thus I have serious admiration for any individual who makes the commitment and dedication necessary to defy immense odds to procure one of those very limited spots. Jeff Heath has parlayed that opportunity into an extended NFL career. Good for him; I think that’s terrific.

Heath is 26-years-old and in his fifth full season with the Cowboys. He’s started a total of 15 games and has logged almost 1,500 defensive snaps. That’s enough time and enough snaps to to come to firm conclusions about his abilities as a player. By my (admittedly ignorant) evaluation Heath does not appear to be a legitimate NFL starting safety.

Heath has definitely failed fan’s “eye test” as a starter in 2017 leading to articles like this: Jeff Heath certainly earned the chance to become the starting safety for the Dallas Cowboys. But poor tackling, inconsistent play and having no impact in causing takeaways will likely land him back in his special teams role soon. If so, sixth round rookie Xavier Woods seems primed to be his replacement...
Did the writer see Woods whiff on a 3rd down tackle, allowing the RB to get the first down? All the rookies are works in progress; let the team bring them along slowly. Right now, Woods is better in passing situations.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Also, and ... and If some penalties had gone our way, and we had scored more points and the coaches had not cast mean looks at Jason Garrett we win. Suddenly we are suddenly undefeated and on our way to the Super Bowl!!!!

Garrett just needs to suck it up with the mean looks.

visionary

Reaction score
I applaud the, for several personnel decisions made yesterday.

Mayowa inactive was a good start.

Continuing to play Cooper at left guard was another one. I hope any debate has finally been out to rest.

Giving Woods more time is a positive.

Ash giving you the big body along with Price inside.

And hopefully, Rush is active over Moore going forward too.

I like what they're doing.

It's a process
A VERY VERY VERY VERY slow one
But still a process

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
And with great rushing yardage, we win. And with sizzling performances by our WRs we win two more games. It really is a crapshoot. Its a combination of things. To pinpoint one position and lament the could haves is quite naive. But fans are like that.

Right- don’t talk about the weak spots on the team because everyone else is not great all of the time. Sure, that makes sense.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Garrett just needs to suck it up with the mean looks.
That is the tough and correct talk that carried the day at Waterloo and Dinka province in India and Justine in East Anglia!
Well done, lad!

Reactions: BAT

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Right- don’t talk about the weak spots on the team because everyone else is not great all of the time. Sure, that makes sense.

I knew you would come around, slow lad. Now you can join the rest of us in a round of rugby then a spot of tea in the square. Dallas Dave will bring the scones.

ALBIT

Reaction score
What is the Cowboys’ coaching staff thinking?
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/10/22/16513382/what-is-the-dallas-cowboys-coaching-staff-thinkin

...And yet, I’m very befuddled by certain personnel decisions made by the Cowboys’ coaching staff. We’ll start with Jeff Heath; I simply don’t understand why the coaching staff continues to start Heath over other options at safety. I have nothing against Heath. His personal story is a terrific one. He showed up at the Cowboys’ 2013 training camp an undrafted free agent and made enough of an impression to earn a roster spot. There are less than 1,700 NFL roster spots available to the world’s population. Thus I have serious admiration for any individual who makes the commitment and dedication necessary to defy immense odds to procure one of those very limited spots. Jeff Heath has parlayed that opportunity into an extended NFL career. Good for him; I think that’s terrific.

Heath is 26-years-old and in his fifth full season with the Cowboys. He’s started a total of 15 games and has logged almost 1,500 defensive snaps. That’s enough time and enough snaps to to come to firm conclusions about his abilities as a player. By my (admittedly ignorant) evaluation Heath does not appear to be a legitimate NFL starting safety.

Heath has definitely failed fan’s “eye test” as a starter in 2017 leading to articles like this: Jeff Heath certainly earned the chance to become the starting safety for the Dallas Cowboys. But poor tackling, inconsistent play and having no impact in causing takeaways will likely land him back in his special teams role soon. If so, sixth round rookie Xavier Woods seems primed to be his replacement...

ALBIT

Reaction score
You know why he starts? Because we never have anyone better than him to take his place. Its so sad. We have not have a good safety since Darren Woodson. Its a disgrace how they never upgrade this position succesfully