What is the Cowboys #1 need?

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
for some reason I can not make polls :(.

So Vote:

DB
WR
OL
HB
FB
QB
OLB
DE
K
P

for me the teams biggest need is a DB, namely a FS.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I think Free Safety and Left Tackle are the two most popular needs amongst us draft nerds.

WR was up there too but Miles Austin's coming out party seems to have squashed that.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
I think we need a big time LT Flo's getting up there

safety - whether it be a FS or a SS I think Ball an Sensabaugh can play either

O line men - draft a couple let them fight it out in camp

D line men - DE's an DT's

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Carpenter's going to be gone. Hurd is going to be gone. Spears may be gone.

Other than Free, we don't have any O-linemen on this team that could step in and play well. We have to strengthen that.

I say, draft a couple interior OL late, a couple DL late, sprinkle in linebackers and DBs.

FS is absolutely 100% not a need on this team. Hamlin is doing an above average job at FS. People are just too stupid to recognize good safety play.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I don't see this draft doing anything but shoring up the depth

it's strongest at WR and NT

and we're pretty set there

The Realist

Reaction score
theogt;3060079 said:
FS is absolutely 100% not a need on this team. Hamlin is doing an above average job at FS. People are just too stupid to recognize good safety play.

Someone better tell Jerry that because he's called out the safety play & Ken Hamlin in the media.

Someone posted a stat here that it's been 29 games since a Cowboy's safety has recorded a pick.

For those saying that LT is the biggest need, I would say that it appears the staff really likes Doug Free.

If we've seen anything over the last 5 years.......

If we have young cheap guys that we really like, drafted mid-late rounds, or not drafted at all........

We don't draft on top of them which would limit practice reps and stifle their development.....

Romo, Ratliff, Crayton, Austin, Hurd, Bradie

As much as we all dislike Flo's penalties, his contract isn't up and he is playing well........right as this team is starting to gel.

Free is progressing to the point we want to get him some game reps.

If anything you draft competition for Free and someone who could be the swing tackle on game day should free become the starter in the next year or two.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
theogt;3060079 said:

Sorry Theo, but Hamlin is one of the worst starting FS's in football, by quite a bit.

To start with, he has a total of 3 passes defensed and 1 interception in his last 23 games. He had no PD's this season until last week. If you count the playoff game vs NYG, Hamlin has 1 pick in his last 28 games, despite playing on a team that has one of the better pass rushes in the league.

Second, he isnt just awful vs the pass, he is lousy vs the run and is one of the poorer tacklers I've seen. How many long tds the past two seasons have been the result of him blowing a routine tackle?

Lastly, the guy is one of the highest paid safeties in football, and he doesnt produce.

He's been the worst regular starter on the team by quite a bit IMO. And unless he turns around his production, I doubt he's here next yr.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
dbair1967;3060206 said:
Sorry Theo, but Hamlin is one of the worst starting FS's in football, by quite a bit.

To start with, he has a total of 3 passes defensed and 1 interception in his last 23 games. He had no PD's this season until last week. If you count the playoff game vs NYG, Hamlin has 1 pick in his last 28 games, despite playing on a team that has one of the better pass rushes in the league.

Second, he isnt just awful vs the pass, he is lousy vs the run and is one of the poorer tacklers I've seen. How many long tds the past two seasons have been the result of him blowing a routine tackle?

Lastly, the guy is one of the highest paid safeties in football, and he doesnt produce.

He's been the worst regular starter on the team by quite a bit IMO. And unless he turns around his production, I doubt he's here next yr.
:hammer:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
At this current point in time i'd say Free Safety.

Long term it is definetely Left Tackle.

But it just depends on what is there for us to pick.

If Brandon Spikes is available than you don't pass on him unless there is a bigtime Left Tackle Prospect still there (doubtful) or Eric Berry is still there. Even Terrence Cody would be a nice pick for us.

If I were Dallas this would be the year I trade up in the draft.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dbair1967;3060206 said:

He has few passes defensed and few interceptions because he doesn't get targeted. He's one of the least targeted safeties in the league. People don't throw at him. If your safety isn't getting thrown at, it's a good thing, because it means he has good coverage.

Please, people, learn football and stop just looking at INTs and sacks.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
The Realist;3060186 said:
Someone better tell Jerry that because he's called out the safety play & Ken Hamlin in the media.

Someone posted a stat here that it's been 29 games since a Cowboy's safety has recorded a pick.
Here's a stat for you. Since Week 1 of 2008, Hamlin has played 1455 snaps. In those 1455 snaps, he's given up 22 passes.

Just eyeballing it, that appears to be the least passes given up per snaps of any safety over that time period.

Hamlin is one of the better safeties in the league.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
theogt;3060341 said:
He has few passes defensed and few interceptions because he doesn't get targeted. He's one of the least targeted safeties in the league. People don't throw at him. If your safety isn't getting thrown at, it's a good thing, because it means he has good coverage.

Please, people, learn football and stop just looking at INTs and sacks.

I dont see Hamlin playing much man to man coverage back there, usually he is roaming around and playing a deep zone or providing help over the top (with which he is almost always late on), so to say he isnt targeted much isnt exactly accurate.

He isnt very instinctive and thats why he doesnt get his hands on the football with any regularity.

And even if what you said were accurate, it still doesnt excuse his awful open field tackling.

He's paid like an elite player, he isnt an elite player and hasnt performed like one in a long time.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dbair1967;3060378 said:
I dont see Hamlin playing much man to man coverage back there, usually he is roaming around and playing a deep zone or providing help over the top (with which he is almost always late on), so to say he isnt targeted much isnt exactly accurate.

He isnt very instinctive and thats why he doesnt get his hands on the football with any regularity.

And even if what you said were accurate, it still doesnt excuse his awful open field tackling.

He's paid like an elite player, he isnt an elite player and hasnt performed like one in a long time.
You can deny that he isn't targeted much, but the stats are right here.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_posi...e=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=50&numgames=1

He's getting targeted about once a game. Almost every other starting safety gets targeted more often. Can you name more than two big pass plays he's given up this year?

Shouldn't be too hard since he's the "worst regular starter" on the team.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;3060523 said:
22 passes given up in 1455 snaps.

you're just assuming that he's targeted less because he has great coverage

when in fact, Hamlin is always in a deep zone

he doesn't cover anyone, but an area

and he's always late

he ****ing sucks