News: What is the future of Dalton Schultz? (Question 16 of 20)

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/16-what-the-future-looks-like-for-dalton-schultz

#16 about Schultz.
I think this has been hashed out plenty. But here are the DC.com take on it.

Not sure the hatred for Dalton Shultz. Again, its a 4th round pick that we nailed.

The guy is Dak's security blanket. The guy catches 75% of everything thrown to him and he is a first down machine.

Maybe its more nonsense from the Cooper cry babies. Shultz does for the offense what Cooper did and even if we pay the kid 10 million per year thats 12 million cheaper than Cooper was costing us.

He is a pass catching TE and he does it well.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think he’s an interesting experiment this year. Had great rapport with Dak. Not a great blocker. So what happens when 2 weapons left, 1 is out the beginning of the season and you are a main guy they can try and key on? Guess we will find out. I wouldn’t pay him yet.

Here is the issue. He is going to be relied on even more this year. With Cooper out and Gallup hurt early he is probably going to have an even better season. So if they want to resign him, this is a bad move. They are only going to wind up paying him more. Just like with Dak. Once the season starts, with every game, the leverage switches to Shultz in the negotiation.

And what are we going to do, lose the kid for nothing? I would be really be interested to find out what he really wants. If its close to 10 million the Cowboys would be foolish not to have signed him already.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I see no scenario where Jerry Jones doesn't cave and pay him Travis Kelce money.

Jerry will get played as usual.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Nothing against Dolaton, but I would hate to see the Cowboys give him a $70 million contract next year (or more). I am not convinced he is so special he cannot be replaced.

800 yards and 8 TD's is top 4 pass catching TE type numbers. Where are you going to get that? Only hope at this point is ferguson. IF you try to sign a TE in FA, it will cost you as much if not more.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Nothing against Dolaton, but I would hate to see the Cowboys give him a $70 million contract next year (or more). I am not convinced he is so special he cannot be replaced.

70 million? What kind of exaggeration is that? 4 years, 50 million at most.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
For the most part, I wasn’t a fan of the Cowboys off-season, but the way they handled Schultz’s contract situation is one thing they got right (thus far).

Now, having said that, Jerry/Stephen will likely sign him to a record-breaking new contract.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Play on the tag this year then see ya.
Agreed.

We have way more important pieces to re-sign in the next couple of years. So we definitely need to start rolling over some of the cap to take care of those pieces. I'm sure we all can agree that Diggs, Dak, and Lamb are more important than Shultz.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

quickccc

Reaction score
Nick Eat sounds wishy-washy. Back and forth. “ No, we shouldn’t resign him…..well maybe .. oh what if he leave,.. nah you have to sign him

If you don’t think he’s immediately warranted signing as one of the highest paid TEs in NFL, then that should be a sure fire answer.
And we’re gonna go ahead and panic into re-signing Schultz because of fear of departure and not replacing him ?

We didn’t have any qualms about cutting Cooper loose from that mega contract, and replacing him, but we’re worried about replacing Schultz ?
Is that the lack of confidence by your player-personnel staff ?

quickccc

Reaction score
i expect to hear the news that Cowboys and Schultz have reached an agreement long term.
Per reports, Jerry has long believed in " Deadlines makes Deals" .. so it will be fished out until the last hour.

What i would wonder is if this new Schultz deal has structures that include opt- out clauses after the
first 2 years, should the Cowboys stumble upon a new TE that has more playmaker impact status than what Schultz can offer.
Although it would be too late for the fully guarantee part of the contract.

I think the club will panic in resigning a scheme-fit, serviceable TE.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i expect to hear the news that Cowboys and Schultz have reached an agreement long term.
Per reports, Jerry has long believed in " Deadlines makes Deals" .. so it will be fished out until the last hour.

What i would wonder is if this new Schultz deal has structures that include opt- out clauses after the
first 2 years, should the Cowboys stumble upon a new TE that has more playmaker impact status than what Schultz can offer.
Although it would be too late for the fully guarantee part of the contract.

I think the club will panic in resigning a scheme-fit, serviceable TE.

Is the deadline coming up soon. In a few days I believe.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
When have the Cowboys ever paid top 5 dollar for a TE? Never. Only a few positions do they pay that kind of money, and TE is not one of them. Being a "security blanket" for Dak is not a qualification to pay top money. You can replace that kind of talent. The clown show better stick to their guns on this one, or they will likely be fleeced once again.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
I think he is going to be TE, that's his role. I just don't think he will be on Cowboys. a lot of Schultz haters will celebrate. but then complain when he plays great on another team and blame Dak.
I am not a Schultz hater. I like him and think he plays quite well. He deserves an NFL career. I just don't think he plays at a level that deserves major investment. I think he will one day play for a different team and look pretty good but I won't lament him having gone.