News: What is the future of Dalton Schultz? (Question 16 of 20)

Adreme

Reaction score
I am not a Schultz hater. I like him and think he plays quite well. He deserves an NFL career. I just don't think he plays at a level that deserves major investment. I think he will one day play for a different team and look pretty good but I won't lament him having gone.

Guy is one of the best pass catching TEs in the league. Averages a first down on every reception and has incredibly solid hands. The cost of keeping someone like that on the team is the equivalent of paying a number 2 WR and Dalton is far more valuable than that. Whoever ends up with him will be laughing as they stole the most undervalued position in the NFL from the Cowboys.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
They obviously tagged him to see if he's worth a big contract after this season or the tag was pointless.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not a Schultz hater. I like him and think he plays quite well. He deserves an NFL career. I just don't think he plays at a level that deserves major investment. I think he will one day play for a different team and look pretty good but I won't lament him having gone.
THIS

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I feel the same way. Schultz is a good player, but not a special player that you allocate a large portion of your limited cap space to keep.

If I had to pick one player to lose between Diggs, Parsons, and Schultz, it would be Schultz.

Brax

Reaction score
Here is the issue. He is going to be relied on even more this year. With Cooper out and Gallup hurt early he is probably going to have an even better season. So if they want to resign him, this is a bad move. They are only going to wind up paying him more. Just like with Dak. Once the season starts, with every game, the leverage switches to Shultz in the negotiation.

And what are we going to do, lose the kid for nothing? I would be really be interested to find out what he really wants. If its close to 10 million the Cowboys would be foolish not to have signed him already.
If I’m Dalton I’m playing on the tag and screwing Jerry for everything I can get. Jerry will pay he likes his guy even if he can’t block.

rags747

Reaction score
Let him play this year on the tag and next year he can walk. Belicheck has let bigger stars walk than Schultz.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

I do. Guy had 800 yard receiving last year (same as Cooper from the TE position), and did a decent job in other areas of the position.

Schultz may be the most underrated player on the team, behind Diggs.

He really stepped up his game last year. If he can do that again, then he'll prove his value.

I think the Cowboys are waiting to see how he plays this year to decide whether they should pony up or let him walk.

My guess is he'll do it again. He was a surprise last year, in my mind.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Guy is one of the best pass catching TEs in the league. Averages a first down on every reception and has incredibly solid hands. The cost of keeping someone like that on the team is the equivalent of paying a number 2 WR and Dalton is far more valuable than that. Whoever ends up with him will be laughing as they stole the most undervalued position in the NFL from the Cowboys.

I agree.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't disagree

He is not at the elite level and those guys are already in 15-20M range.

Reality of NFL...

So do u slightly over pay to keep a guy? Or do u create a hole and hope next guy can do it....

Either way we better be right